Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015 85D CPO Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone!

I've been thinking about posting my experience so far about me CPO (used) experience so far. Tomorrow is supposed to be my delivery day so I figured I can speak to my experience pre-delivery.

I looked for a Model S for about 2 months following a test drive which completely changed my outlook on electric cars and the Model S. I currently drive a Chevy Tahoe as my daily driver and needless to say I go through about $300 a month in just gas.

I started my search on the ev-cpo website after a friend pointed me in that direction. There were a lot of cars to choose from but every day I would read a new horror story online of someone getting screwed by Tesla and it would always turn me away. I requested to have a sales rep reach out to me. Later that day Kyle Desmond reached out via email and he was very help and responded fairly well (about 1 or 2 emails daily).

March 8, 2019 I finally pulled the trigger and placed a deposit on a 11/2015 85D with EXTERIOR Solid Black Paint All Glass Panoramic Roof 19" Wheels INTERIOR Black Next Generation Seats Matte Obeche Wood Décor Black Alcantara Headliner CHARGING Free Supercharging OPTIONS Autopilot Hardware 1 with Convenience Features Premium Interior and Lighting Smart Air Suspension Subzero Weather Package.

The car was located in MA and I am located in NY. So I was hoping there would be no delivery charges.

March 11, 2019 Jose Velez emailed me (and cc'd Kyle) congratulating me on my purchase and informed me to go onto the Tesla account page and begin inputting my drivers license and loan application information. I requested the car to be delivered to a Tesla store closer to me than they had defaulted me too, which he said was not a problem.

March 12, 2019 I asked if there was any issues with the car if they would be address there and he replied they are not equipped to make any fixes to the vehicles, but if there are issues those can be address at a service center.

March 12, 2019 I applied for the loan which I was approved about 5 minutes later. The loan conditions say that I need to take delivery before 3/31 which made me a little nervous.

March 14, 2019 Jose informed me that my car is scheduled to be delivered on 3/20. Once it is delivered it will undergo an inspection and then I can pick it up.

March 19, 2019 Jose told me the car had arrived (no delivery charges)! They need a few days to inspect the car and detail it and I could pick it up as soon as 3/22. I told him 3/22 worked for me to pick it up. I have an appointment for tomorrow at 5pm to pick up the car and I couldn't be more excited and nervous at the same time.

March 20, 2019 received a call from the delivery center confirming my appointment and went over everything just to make sure we were on the same page.

So far the experience has been very easy and straight forward. Everyone I have had to deal with has been helpful (as much as Tesla employees can be) and responded pretty quickly. That experience can change very quickly if they push back the delivery date or if the car is not as I expected it to be.

Sorry for the long post but I know there are lots of negative experiences here so I figured I would put my story up for future buyers to see.

Any advice for what to look for at delivery?

Last edited:
Reactions: 365gtb4
1 2x key fobs
2 Supercharging enabled
3 Autopilot enabled
4 All tires match and clear of issues
5 Charging kit with all adapters (including J1722, NEMA 5-15, NEMA 14-50)
6 All lights work
7 All windows work
8 Wipers work
9 Speakers work
10 Parcel shelf present
11 Rear window glass pitting
12 Sunroof opens/closes
13 Power lift gate function
14 Frunk function
15Steering wheel controls
16 Both seats function
17 All seat heaters work
18 Wiper blade condition
19 Previous user settings/details wiped
20 Miles match what I thought
21 No paint/panel issues beyond what was in photos
22 No rim issues beyond what was in photos
23 Front and rear floor mats
24 VIN matches paper work
25 Check mirrors work and fold in
26 Check charging port door opens
27 Rear seats fold up and down
28 Check rear lights for condensation
29 Front license plate holder
30 Check windscreen for chips
31 Take photos, notes and request due bill in writting for any damage noted
32 Request service history
33 Check LTE connection
34 Connect phone to check Bluetooth
35 Check range on battery in % and miles
36 Run the HVAC
37 Check jack points and battery pack for damage

Picked up the car today and wow she is beautiful!

Attachments

• 4A855694-13FA-49A5-902A-C9A1A73B3D9D.jpeg
    4A855694-13FA-49A5-902A-C9A1A73B3D9D.jpeg
    577.3 KB · Views: 275
Jkaufm32, Thank You for this thread and the info. I have been in a loop trying to find information and struggling to figure out what to do, You inspired me to pull the trigger today on a 2/16 70D. Hopefully mine will go as smooth as yours.

Jkaufm32,

I am in the early stages of shopping for a used Tesla Model S, and I think I'm mostly focused on exactly the model/year that you just got (2015 Model S 85D). I've read some of the horror stories for the CPO program, but it sounds like you had a pretty good experience overall. You also got some good tips ahead of time. If you have any further post-delivery observations or recommendations, please do share (or DM).

Thanks,

Todd (shopping in the DC area)

Hey everyone!

I've been thinking about posting my experience so far about me CPO (used) experience so far. Tomorrow is supposed to be my delivery day so I figured I can speak to my experience pre-delivery.

I looked for a Model S for about 2 months following a test drive which completely changed my outlook on electric cars and the Model S. I currently drive a Chevy Tahoe as my daily driver and needless to say I go through about $300 a month in just gas.

I started my search on the ev-cpo website after a friend pointed me in that direction. There were a lot of cars to choose from but every day I would read a new horror story online of someone getting screwed by Tesla and it would always turn me away. I requested to have a sales rep reach out to me. Later that day Kyle Desmond reached out via email and he was very help and responded fairly well (about 1 or 2 emails daily).

March 8, 2019 I finally pulled the trigger and placed a deposit on a 11/2015 85D with EXTERIOR Solid Black Paint All Glass Panoramic Roof 19" Wheels INTERIOR Black Next Generation Seats Matte Obeche Wood Décor Black Alcantara Headliner CHARGING Free Supercharging OPTIONS Autopilot Hardware 1 with Convenience Features Premium Interior and Lighting Smart Air Suspension Subzero Weather Package.

The car was located in MA and I am located in NY. So I was hoping there would be no delivery charges.

March 11, 2019 Jose Velez emailed me (and cc'd Kyle) congratulating me on my purchase and informed me to go onto the Tesla account page and begin inputting my drivers license and loan application information. I requested the car to be delivered to a Tesla store closer to me than they had defaulted me too, which he said was not a problem.

March 12, 2019 I asked if there was any issues with the car if they would be address there and he replied they are not equipped to make any fixes to the vehicles, but if there are issues those can be address at a service center.

March 12, 2019 I applied for the loan which I was approved about 5 minutes later. The loan conditions say that I need to take delivery before 3/31 which made me a little nervous.

March 14, 2019 Jose informed me that my car is scheduled to be delivered on 3/20. Once it is delivered it will undergo an inspection and then I can pick it up.

March 19, 2019 Jose told me the car had arrived (no delivery charges)! They need a few days to inspect the car and detail it and I could pick it up as soon as 3/22. I told him 3/22 worked for me to pick it up. I have an appointment for tomorrow at 5pm to pick up the car and I couldn't be more excited and nervous at the same time.

March 20, 2019 received a call from the delivery center confirming my appointment and went over everything just to make sure we were on the same page.

So far the experience has been very easy and straight forward. Everyone I have had to deal with has been helpful (as much as Tesla employees can be) and responded pretty quickly. That experience can change very quickly if they push back the delivery date or if the car is not as I expected it to be.

Sorry for the long post but I know there are lots of negative experiences here so I figured I would put my story up for future buyers to see.

Any advice for what to look for at delivery?

Jkaufm32, Thank You for this thread and the info. I have been in a loop trying to find information and struggling to figure out what to do, You inspired me to pull the trigger today on a 2/16 70D. Hopefully mine will go as smooth as yours.

I’m glad you decided to pull the trigger. Honestly these are amazing cars and I can see why they have such a massive following.

You won’t regret your decision!

I’ll be posting up a full write up on my pick up / delivery tomorrow morning

Sorry for the delayed update on the pick up / delivery day but honestly I've spent the entire weekend just enjoying this awesome car. I used my first Supercharger yesterday and there was no issues with the free unlimited Supercharging.

Some quick info on the car. It is a 11/2015 85D and it has a range (on the screen) of 245 miles at 90% charge so I don't think it has much battery degradation. The car currently has 45,000 miles on it. The car was located in MA and delivery was in NY. I was not charged a shipping or destination fee.

Quick recap. Up to this point I haven't had any issues with the Delivery Advisor or Sales Advisor. I'll put their info below for other people.

Sales Advisor
Kyle Desmond
(510) 458-0404
[email protected]

Delivery Advisor
Jose Velez
(510) 602-3813
[email protected]

My pick up was scheduled for Friday at 5pm at the Manhasset, NY store. I definitely wasn't the only one getting a car delivered that day. I think I counted 5 other people picking up a car during the hour or two that I was there.

I arrived around 5pm and let someone know I was there to pick up my car. She went into the back and got the paperwork together. 2-3 minutes later, I saw the car pull up so I had to run outside to check it out. I did a quick once over and the car looked awesome. I went back inside so I could focus on the things I wanted to make sure were in order. I used the check list above to make sure everything checked out.

1 2x key fobs
2 Supercharging enabled
3 Autopilot enabled
4 All tires match and clear of issues
5 Charging kit with all adapters (including J1722, NEMA 5-15, NEMA 14-50)
6 All lights work
7 All windows work
8 Wipers work
9 Speakers work
10 Parcel shelf present
11 Rear window glass pitting
12 Sunroof opens/closes
13 Power lift gate function
14 Frunk function
15Steering wheel controls
16 Both seats function
17 All seat heaters work
18 Wiper blade condition
19 Previous user settings/details wiped
20 Miles match what I thought
21 No paint/panel issues beyond what was in photos
22 No rim issues beyond what was in photos
23 Front and rear floor mats
24 VIN matches paper work
25 Check mirrors work and fold in
26 Check charging port door opens
27 Rear seats fold up and down
28 Check rear lights for condensation
29 Front license plate holder
30 Check windscreen for chips
31 Take photos, notes and request due bill in writting for any damage noted
32 Request service history
33 Check LTE connection
34 Connect phone to check Bluetooth
35 Check range on battery in % and miles
36 Run the HVAC
37 Check jack points and battery pack for damage

They brought out the loan documents, license plates, and keys (2 of them). Deja Mitchell was very nice and funny. Regardless of multiple people taking delivery of their car on Friday she made me feel like I was the only one there. Another associate brought me outside so I could look over the car before I signed my life away. I informed him that if the car didn't check out I would not be accepting delivery. He agreed that was a good idea and said I can look it over for as long as I wanted and ask him any questions I would have. We walked around the car and sat inside the car.

When we sat in the car I was adjusting the seat settings and one of the plastic pieces popped off the track. Not a big deal, but he immediately said "don't worry about that we will make sure that is fixed for free if you decide to take the car" which is a very fair response. Interior checked out and looked better than the pictures. Then we looked closely at the exterior (remember this is a solid black so every imperfection will show). The passenger rear quarter panel looked like someone attempted to detail it but didn't really know what they were doing. I looked at him and again he said "don't worry I can make a due bill for that since it wasn't in the pictures". After going through the check list of other items those were more or less the only issues I found. I am not one of those people that goes nuts over a few small details because I understand the car has 45k miles and is black. Honestly, the car looked a lot better than it did in the pictures.

After the look around and speaking about the items on the due bill I felt comfortable to accept the car. I gave them the bank check, signed the paperwork, and I was done.

The process did take about 1-1.5 hours, but I was ok with that because I was the one that dragged it out with my questions and looking the car over.

One thing to make a note of. The delivery was in Manhasset, NY where the median income is very high and it is in a strip mall that has LV, Chanel, Hermes, etc. so that may come into play. While I was waiting there were 2 guys asking a lot of questions about a Roadster 2 and seemed very fine with the $200k price tag.

The only reason why I am writing this novel is because I see so many negative posts about this process. My experience was the complete opposite. Everyone I spoke to was nice, informative, and knew a lot about the cars. They genuinely seemed to love the Tesla brand and the cars they were selling. Maybe it helped that this store was one of the "high traffic" locations that was never slated to be closed.

The car is an absolute dream. Everything about it is above and beyond my expectations.

I hope this helps people when thinking of buying a used car from Tesla. I know I will be back to get my wife a car and one day another for me.

Looks beautiful! Congratulations.

How did your inspection go? Any advice? Hoping to pick mine up on Tuesday.

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    615.9 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
Reactions: Don TLR
Similar deal going on here. Late 2015 build 85D being moved from Massachusetts to Mt Kisco NY. Ordered mid last week, they called Friday with the details about the move of the car and the title happened to be in Mt Kisco already. Given the end of the quarter is rapidly approaching I’d think they will make every effort to deliver by Sunday. More to come. Can’t wait.

Wow! So glad to read your story. I also am buying a 2015 S85D CPO. It has 12,004 miles (could not believe the low mileage). The photos look good, but I am preparing myself for the worse in case there are any paint marks not shown in the photos. I place my order Wednesday night but it was after midnight so it registered as 3/21. Through the local users group, on Friday, a Plano service center person contacted me and offered her assistance, particularly since I will be picking up the car in San Diego and driving it back to Dallas. She said she will help me get the TX state inspection and work out my temporary TX tags. Today the Sales Advisor called and we agreed on all the details. I already completed the online items. He said he was going to work on the purchase order today and would get back to me. I hope the PO comes in tomorrow as I am financing about half of the cost via my credit union. Not sure if the credit union will give me a check for Tesla or they will wire it. In any case, I am so excited with this purchase. I feel like a child on Christmas Eve! Here is one of the photos they sent me. I wanted a Silver, but got the blue to please the wife (still worry about things like that after 45 years of marriage!!! Looking forward to the drive from San Diego to Dallas!

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    868 KB · Views: 163
Wow! So glad to read your story. I also am buying a 2015 S85D CPO. It has 12,004 miles (could not believe the low mileage). The photos look good, but I am preparing myself for the worse in case there are any paint marks not shown in the photos. I place my order Wednesday night but it was after midnight so it registered as 3/21. Through the local users group, on Friday, a Plano service center person contacted me and offered her assistance, particularly since I will be picking up the car in San Diego and driving it back to Dallas. She said she will help me get the TX state inspection and work out my temporary TX tags. Today the Sales Advisor called and we agreed on all the details. I already completed the online items. He said he was going to work on the purchase order today and would get back to me. I hope the PO comes in tomorrow as I am financing about half of the cost via my credit union. Not sure if the credit union will give me a check for Tesla or they will wire it. In any case, I am so excited with this purchase. I feel like a child on Christmas Eve! Here is one of the photos they sent me. I wanted a Silver, but got the blue to please the wife (still worry about things like that after 45 years of marriage!!! Looking forward to the drive from San Diego to Dallas!

Beautiful car! I love that color.

I wish you luck with the car and post up pictures after you pick her up!