Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging routine disruption after taking delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, due to delays in delivery, my delivery date has been made available and they’ve very graciously offered me a 3 day window to pick up my car in Sydney - and I live in Newcastle. I have chosen my first day off work which is March 2.

I was due to fly out to LA for a week on March 3 which now I have now put back to March 5 so I can collect the car and bring it back to Newcastle before leaving the country.

But my concern is that if I collect my car, have 2 days of a charging routine at home and then nothing for a week while im away, am I going to mess the car up somehow by not breaking in a charging routine or having a big gap in charing in the cars early days of operation?

New to EV’s and don’t want to get it wrong on day one

Cheers

Hi all, due to delays in delivery, my delivery date has been made available and they’ve very graciously offered me a 3 day window to pick up my car in Sydney - and I live in Newcastle. I have chosen my first day off work which is March 2.

I was due to fly out to LA for a week on March 3 which now I have now put back to March 5 so I can collect the car and bring it back to Newcastle before leaving the country.

But my concern is that if I collect my car, have 2 days of a charging routine at home and then nothing for a week while im away, am I going to mess the car up somehow by not breaking in a charging routine or having a big gap in charing in the cars early days of operation?

New to EV’s and don’t want to get it wrong on day one

Cheers
Absolutely no issue, the car doesn't care what routine you use, just charge when it suits. The only thing I'd recommend is not leaving it at 100% while you are away, depending how long you are away for, best to leave it at 50-60%, leave sentry mode off (assuming it's a secure location) and it won't lose much charge.

• Helpful
Reactions: Chuq
Absolutely no issue, the car doesn't care what routine you use, just charge when it suits. The only thing I'd recommend is not leaving it at 100% while you are away, depending how long you are away for, best to leave it at 50-60%, leave sentry mode off (assuming it's a secure location) and it won't lose much charge.

Ah thankyou that’s reassuring to know.

I will be driving the car from Newcastle and parking at Sydney airport for the week. So I will aim to park the car with 50ish % and turn sentry mode off, and then plan to charge the morning I arrive back in Sydney and supercharge at broadway before heading back to Newcastle

I have parked my car at Sydney Airport for more than one week with sentry turned off and only lost 1%. The main thing is to resist the temptation of waking it up by checking on the car via the app.
Excellent. Thank you for the advice.

I’m already doubting my self control 3 days after collection to not want to just check in from LA just to check on it haha

I have parked my car at Sydney Airport for more than one week with sentry turned off and only lost 1%. The main thing is to resist the temptation of waking it up by checking on the car via the app.
And for what it's worth, I've had my MY parked at the repair shop for 5 weeks (cabin overheat and sentry mode off) and lost 2% so far.

Can't wait to get back in it, but that's 7 weeks away... :(

Reactions: Hairyman and jq371
Excellent. Thank you for the advice.

I’m already doubting my self control 3 days after collection to not want to just check in from LA just to check on it haha
You are only going for a week. Plug it in at home, reduce the charge rate as suggested above by Jules22, and forget about temptation, just log in and check it when you feel the need. Yes it will wake the car but it is plugged in so it will not matter.
If not plugged in, you could probably wake the car several times, but it would be better not to, depending on your starting charge.
It has just spent several weeks on a cruise unplugged, so your week away is never going to be an issue.

Reactions: cafz and jq371