Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015 model S - all 4 door speakers stopped working.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't drive that much but has notice the audio was sounding funny. I check today playing with the balance and none of the 4 doors speaker are working. Only the front center and the two tweeters on the column are working.
Since the car is out of warranty, I'm trying to do as much research as possible.
Any of you had experience similar issue?
Can a car audio shop fix it or it's better to go to the tesla SC?
Is this a DIY fix? I don't know how to diagnostic if it the amplifier.

Thank you.

Do you have UHFS? If so, does the subwoofer work? Cars with UHFS have a separate amp located behind the panel in front of the driver's left knee.

If you don't have UHFS, the amp is integrated into the MCU. It seems strange though that you'd only lose the door speakers. I am not sure how the amp is built, but that sounds like a strange failure.

On my 2015 I had to do a scroll wheel reboot to bring back the audio a couple times over a 3 year period. That was with an aftermarket system, but it relied on output from the MCU to turn the amp on and for signal.

I don't drive that much but has notice the audio was sounding funny. I check today playing with the balance and none of the 4 doors speaker are working. Only the front center and the two tweeters on the column are working.
Since the car is out of warranty, I'm trying to do as much research as possible.
Any of you had experience similar issue?
Can a car audio shop fix it or it's better to go to the tesla SC?
Is this a DIY fix? I don't know how to diagnostic if it the amplifier.

Thank you.
I have the same issue on my 2013 p85 with uhfs. All four speakers stopped working, probably all at the same time. I tried to address this by changing the external amp but this made no diffrence. Have you found a solution?

The other amp is bolted to the main screen and since I am not sure what the problem is I am a bit hesitant to start with this project.

Reactions: DABESQ2
I have a similar problem, in my 2013 85 with UHFS. I get full sound from the front left speaker and subwoofer is working. Right front barely works and getting no rear fill from the rear speakers, when I adjust the sound to the middle position sounds the best but very weak for UHFS. If I had to guess I would say the head unit is powering the front and sub fine but something is wrong with the amp sending power to the rest of the speakers but I really don't know. Any suggestions for troubleshooting. I took the trunk apart and found the sub and confirmed it is working. I can pop off the front grills and tests the speakers but I doubt all of them went bad together which makes me think it is the amp. Is the amp under the dash by the drivers side?

I have a similar problem, in my 2013 85 with UHFS. I get full sound from the front left speaker and subwoofer is working. Right front barely works and getting no rear fill from the rear speakers, when I adjust the sound to the middle position sounds the best but very weak for UHFS. If I had to guess I would say the head unit is powering the front and sub fine but something is wrong with the amp sending power to the rest of the speakers but I really don't know. Any suggestions for troubleshooting. I took the trunk apart and found the sub and confirmed it is working. I can pop off the front grills and tests the speakers but I doubt all of them went bad together which makes me think it is the amp. Is the amp under the dash by the drivers side?
The external amp is under the dash drivers side indeed. In front of left knee. You could use youtube for guidance,

However, I exchanged the external but made no difference. The other amp is bolted to the mcu. Haven't tried to replace this premium mcu amp board yet. Waiting for better weather and my Tesla has healed itself before...

Reactions: DABESQ2
Thanks GUYS great news!! With the help of TMC and you tube I fixed all of my speakers. Passenger door and both rear door speakers all had No sound and ALL had the same issue which I believe is a possible manufacturing defect. At the exact place where the internal speaker wires are attached to the speaker which is internal in the speaker the plastic is melted and the wires are disintegrated internally. They look intact but have no continuity per meter. I found many others with the same issue. The fix it to solder in a 3 inch wire bypassing the broken section and I had to do it on both wires on each speaker.

Happy to report my premium sound is now working as intended and it is Awesome!

PS- found acoustic seals missing and loose and fixed them with gorilla tape and a little silicone.

Thanks GUYS great news!! With the help of TMC and you tube I fixed all of my speakers. Passenger door and both rear door speakers all had No sound and ALL had the same issue which I believe is a possible manufacturing defect. At the exact place where the internal speaker wires are attached to the speaker which is internal in the speaker the plastic is melted and the wires are disintegrated internally. They look intact but have no continuity per meter. I found many others with the same issue. The fix it to solder in a 3 inch wire bypassing the broken section and I had to do it on both wires on each speaker.

PS- found acoustic seals missing and loose and fixed them with gorilla tape and a little silicone.
Great to hear it's fixed!

Nice one!

That's weird that all 4 died at once, I wonder if the wires were all sort of failing and a large current caused them all to blow (loud bass in a song, or that "pop" sound that happens sometimes when you reboot or do an update) or if they all slowly died over a short course of time and you just didn't notice until all 4 were dead.

Did you take any pictures of the melted plastic and disintegrated wires?

Very odd indeed, 3 of the 14 speakers had this problem and each one was the same. I really do not know what caused the wire to fail and hollow out. It did melt the plastic where the wire is attached to the speaker. Could be chemicals that were used to attach the speaker wire to the plastic or could be from the wire heating up. Might be oxidation or corrosion of the wire in presence of moisture, Glad to be able to fix it and I suspect Tesla knows all about this issue. I have photos if needed.

Very odd indeed, 3 of the 14 speakers had this problem and each one was the same. I really do not know what caused the wire to fail and hollow out. It did melt the plastic where the wire is attached to the speaker. Could be chemicals that were used to attach the speaker wire to the plastic or could be from the wire heating up. Might be oxidation or corrosion of the wire in presence of moisture, Glad to be able to fix it and I suspect Tesla knows all about this issue. I have photos if needed.
Happy to inform you that this also fixed my issue! All four doorspeakers are working again, many thanks for sharing!

Reactions: DABESQ2 and mongo
Add me to the list of folks for whom this thread helped.

First speaker failure in my 2013 Model S happened a few years ago. Didn't find anything online back then about the problem, wound up just buying a new replacement from Tesla, installed it myself. But then after we got the car back from the shop last year, all three of the other door speakers had stopped working too! In hindsight, I don't see how the work that had been done on the car could've been related or caused the additional failures; probably just coincidence. But of course at the time I was skeptical.

Anyway, I've lived with the bad audio for almost a year now, too busy to deal with it myself and not wanting to spend an arm and a leg at the Tesla service center to have them fix what I wasn't sure wasn't their fault in the first place.

I'm glad I procrastinated, because now this thread is online and someone else did the hard part of figuring out exactly where the fault was. :)

For what it's worth, the melted plastic on the speaker frame, looks to me as though it's done intentionally during manufacturing as a way of pinning the speaker leads down. Based on the failure, I'd guess the manufacturing process is sloppy and overheats the spot on the lead where the plastic is melted, weakening it, causing it to eventually fail. Or possibly it breaks the lead at that time, but it's still held (barely) together by the plastic. Either way, I guess vibration over time causes the break to be complete and the speaker stops working.

I've already fixed one of the speakers (wanted to verify I had the same problem with the same fix before tearing into the other doors), and am happy to report that soldering a jumper onto the leads to fix the break worked perfectly. I'd verified the break before doing the work, just one of the leads had the break but I figure I can't really trust the other one, so I added a jumper to the other one, and will do that to the remaining two speakers that still don't work.

Thanks again for everyone else who shared their experience, and of course especially to DABESQ2 who originally reported the fix.

Of course, I am irritated, to say the least, by the manufacturing process Tesla's using (or rather, their lowest-bid supplier is using), and the fact that in spite of that it's obvious lots of people are experiencing the exact same failure, they are hiding behind warranty limits and not stepping up to correct the problem. I admit, that kind of approach is far from unique to Tesla. But for what these cars cost, I'd expect better customer support than that. But at least the owner community is helping fill that void.

The melted plastic is normal, that's just how the wires are fixated.

I’m pretty sure it’s caused by corrosion. Moisture gets trapped in the flexible copper wire where it’s melted in the plastic. I also fixed mine by soldering a flexible wire to bypass the corroded section.