TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

2015 Model S P90D reports as P85D

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Dameon, Aug 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Dameon

Dameon Titanium P90DL

Moving along in my negotiations for a Tesla and have a strong candidate on the hook. When I run the VIN through Carfax, Autocheck and VehicleHistory, they all report it is a P85D rather than a P90D as shown on the rear fascia. Was there not a digit in the 2015 model year to indicate 85/90 designation? Did someone swap the emblem on the rear? This is a Tesla Certified Pre-Own (CPO) car so I ass-u-me they would have noticed this and corrected it.

2. kev1n

kev1n Member

why not ask Tesla themselves? they should have an answer for you

3. Dameon

Dameon Titanium P90DL

I prefer to ask rhetorical questions... or at least as close as I can get.

4. PaulC

PaulC Member

This is a really common problem for VIN decoders on the Model S. Digit 8 in the VIN is specified as "4 = Dual motor - performance" (source: ftp://ftp.nhtsa.dot.gov/mfrmail/ORG11229.pdf) so any P85D or P90D will have that "4".

Anyone like Carfax, insurance companies, etc. doing VIN decoding will generally just list this as P85D by default. I don't think the VIN has a digit that can tell an 85 from a 90 (or a P90D from a P90DL).

• Informative x 2
  5. Dameon

Dameon Titanium P90DL

Thanks for the confirmation #PaulC.

I wasn't sure if VIN digit 8 had/has more designators. I suspect Tesla should (will?) starting using more digits... 7 = P90D, 8 = P90DL, etc.