Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model S 75D running at 70D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all! I purchased a 2016 CPO MS (facelift) 75D earlier this year and wanted to get clarity from the group.

1. The battery pack is a 75kWh, 350VDC and part number is 1072923-00-A (04/16 prod) and at time of the original purchase, the car was a 70D.

2. The original owner apparently upgraded from 70D --> 75D (should've added ~19 miles or so) and when looking at other 2016 MS 75D vehicles online, the EPA is roughly ~259 miles. At 100% SOC, I can only get max of 238-240mi which leads me to believe the vehicle might still be software locked to run at 70D?

I'm headed to the SC for another issue on Friday and asking them to look into this as well. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

• Funny
Reactions: PhatCat
Here's another data point for you. In Aug of 2016 I leased a a showroom S that Tesla had upgraded from it's original S70D to S75D. When i picked it up it had 50 mi on the odometer and 100% showed as 255. When I turned it it two years later with 21K miles 100% was showing 235-240. I only charged to 1000% a few times on trips.

Does the car say it's a 75D or a 70D?

That's a lot of degradation. My P85DL has only lost 12 miles of range in 101K miles through all of its Ludicrous launches. And although it may sound like bragging, my degradation is the average when you look at the fleet degradation chart.

Does the car say it's a 75D or a 70D?

That's a lot of degradation. My P85DL has only lost 12 miles of range in 101K miles through all of its Ludicrous launches. And although it may sound like bragging, my degradation is the average when you look at the fleet degradation chart.

That’s fantastic but some of us aren’t that lucky. Particularly 75kWh packs and some of the 90kWh packs are hit pretty hard by degradation, 5-10% within the first 12k miles. I repeatedly asked Tesla about it and was told it’s normal degradation.

That’s fantastic but some of us aren’t that lucky. Particularly 75kWh packs and some of the 90kWh packs are hit pretty hard by degradation, 5-10% within the first 12k miles. I repeatedly asked Tesla about it and was told it’s normal degradation.

V1 90 packs. I hadn't heard that V2 was also hit even though V2 is still only 1500 amps unlike the V3 1600 amp. I also thought Tesla replaced most of the V1 packs under warranty already due to this very issue?

You don't say how many miles you have on the car. That said, it doesn't really matter... 8% degradation is unfortunately not that uncommon for early 75 packs.

My 2016 S75 at 92,000 miles is down to 224 miles at 100% (10% loss).

Tesla will tell you it's normal. If the car says "75" it's been unlocked - there's no secret behind the scenes setting that makes it still a "70".

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
V1 90 packs. I hadn't heard that V2 was also hit even though V2 is still only 1500 amps unlike the V3 1600 amp. I also thought Tesla replaced most of the V1 packs under warranty already due to this very issue?
IME the old Tesla used to be a lot more lenient about warranty goodwill. Lately they are far more likely to just tell you it’s normal.

You don't say how many miles you have on the car. That said, it doesn't really matter... 8% degradation is unfortunately not that uncommon for early 75 packs.

My 2016 S75 at 92,000 miles is down to 224 miles at 100% (10% loss).

Tesla will tell you it's normal. If the car says "75" it's been unlocked - there's no secret behind the scenes setting that makes it still a "70".

hey, sorry about that. Current mileage is ~40k miles and based on the responses, likely to be degradation.