Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model S - no sentry update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi I received that last update , my Model S is a 2016 I did not receive the sentry update, all other updates were there. Is any one else also in my boat? is the Model S 2016 not able to be updated with sentry? thanks

There are different versions of Autopilot hardware built into Tesla vehicles:

* Autopilot (HW 1): Became available on late 2014 built vehicles and featured 1 monochrome camera and a forward radar.

* Enhanced Autopilot (HW 2.0): Became available on October 2016 built vehicles and it features 3 forward facing cameras, 2 forward facing side cameras (located in the vehicle's B pillars) and 2 rearward facing side cameras (repeaters) located with the side blinkers.

* Enhanced Autopilot (HW 2.5): Became available on August 2017 built vehicles and have different internals, such as a different color filter array cameras, different radar, a secondary node enabled on the Drive PX 2 computer, different steering servos and some different redundant wiring, even though the vehicles look exactly the same on the outside.

Sentry mode, which is built over the Dashcam feature, needs a Model S or Model X with Autopilot hardware 2.5, which started being fitted on vehicles that left the factory on August 2017.

So regarding your original question, your Model S has Autopilot hardware and software in it... just not the required hardware to run Sentry mode, as it was built before August 2017.

Last edited:
There is nothing in that link about 2.0, it is the one thing that never gets ‘clarified’...

I contacted Tesla and here's what they said:

1) There isn't a lot of information available about the different variations as they have not released those data.
2) The hardware versions of 2.0 and 2.5 are very similar and only have a couple minor differences but the functionality is close to the same.
3) Over time they have updated the control unit and the type of radar has changed from earlier versions.
4) 2.0 cars can not be upgraded to the 2.5 but with the purchase of Full Self Driving they can be upgraded to version 3.
5) Owners that have either 2.0 or 2.5 that have purchased Full Self Driving will be contacted when it is time to perform the upgrade to 3.

Sentry, Dashcam and some other features are not available on Model S and Model X vehicles that were built before August 2017, when Autopilot hardware 2.5 started to ship with new vehicles.

You can find more info on the subject here: Sentry Mode: Guarding Your Tesla
Not correct. Sentry mode is available for AP2.0 cars (which have all 8 cameras). What the 2.5 cars get that the 2.0 cars don't get is the ability to record sentry mode alerts/videos to a USB drive. Only the 2.5 cars (to date) have dashcam mode where dashcam video is recorded to the USB drive.

The 2.0 cars will activate sentry mode, display sentry mode on the MCU screen and generate an alert...but they don't record anything to the USB. There are reports they may upload the alert video to Tesla but this is not confirmed an no one (to date) has been able to access the videos (if they are uploaded).

You are right @drklain, but you are not taking into account that my post was made on April 4th, and Sentry became available for AP2.0 cars starting on April 6th with version 2019.12. My previous post is only missing a: "As of this post" disclaimer... :rolleyes:
That is why it is helpful to put in your post what version you are taking about instead of just saying “latest update”. Given they can be pushing 3+ different versions out at the same time, latest is not helpful.

Not correct. Sentry mode is available for AP2.0 cars (which have all 8 cameras). What the 2.5 cars get that the 2.0 cars don't get is the ability to record sentry mode alerts/videos to a USB drive. Only the 2.5 cars (to date) have dashcam mode where dashcam video is recorded to the USB drive.

The 2.0 cars will activate sentry mode, display sentry mode on the MCU screen and generate an alert...but they don't record anything to the USB. There are reports they may upload the alert video to Tesla but this is not confirmed an no one (to date) has been able to access the videos (if they are uploaded).
Is there an easy way to find out if my S has AP 2.5 vs AP 2.0 The purchased docs only say "enhance autopilot" so not sure what that means?

If the Dashcam and Sentry mode recording works then you have 2.5 ...

You can infer it with reasonable accuracy from the build date as well, when was yours built?
Don't believe I have dashcam. Can't view sentry mode files that's why I was wondering about "DRKLAIN's" comment. How can I tell when my car was built? Had it for two years so it is ify with that August deadline