Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model S Refresh Mega-thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMHO, it appears that the nose looks "punched in", almost like a miniaturized Aston Martin grill or something... If it is an updated part, looks like we will know pretty darned soon!

I think Tesla has been working through how to design the fronts of these cars since the big radiator grill is unnecessary. The X front is "OK" to me, the Model 3 is "OK", but my first comment was "wow, that's a lot of plastic!".

I have thought from the beginning that the S nosecone was a bit of a styling "miss". A bolt-on refreshed bumper and "other" tidbits to bring the S more "in line" with the new X and new 3 would be a smart idea to keep people buying the S while waiting for the 3.

Regardless of what this is a picture of, the front end will be updated and some other features will be added. I think we will see in a week or 2. Most locations DS and salespeople are saying changes are coming within a few weeks. I have asked 3 locations now and all saying same thing.

I talked to a someone who works at tesla has been to the factory recently and he said there will be a minor refresh in the coming month. I asked if he the nose cone will look like the X, he didn't flat out confirm it but did say he didn't think it was a much difference in the look. Basically said you would need both cars side by side to notice the difference. My guess the nose cone is a combo of the X and S, like a hybrid. So when the S gets a major refresh in 2 years ( my guess the time the 3 comes to market) it will be a noticible difference.

why didn't you jump the fence!

I wasn't trying to take a picture of a "facelifted" car, just a background picture showing all the shiny new Teslas.

Besides, I would never go anywhere they didn't indicate i could walk as a normal customer. I had permission to be where i was, those cars are visible from the front parking lot where the inventory cars are kept -- right by service.

I do notice in the pictures of the car without the nosecone there is a foam piece attached to the bumper bar that isn't on my two year old model S. Had it been on my car I would have noticed it when I installed my toll transponder to the bar. Something has changed but as my car is older, the foam piece might have been in use for some time.

Look closely at the wrapped cars and then look at the cars with the nosecone removed. The plastic wrap is tight enough to show the outline of the top opening around the Tesla emblem. If it was that tight and the nose cone removed, you would see the circular shape of the nosecone hole through the wrap.

From the photo, that area looks flat and contiguous.

I think it is the wrap not sticking completely to the nose cone. For me, I see a gap at the top of the cone that is not adhering and then it sticks to the part below the T and chrome insert, giving it the impression of a lip. I would be stunned if they changed the design without letting buyers know. Boy oh boy would I be pissed if the car I ordered did not look like the one I got.

Might well be wishful thinking on my part, because I do not like the new look. But I just don't see it.

Reactions: droper
Your five minutes of fame have arrived ... Tesla Model S with design refresh potentially spotted at Fremont Factory [Picture]

upload_2016-4-7_20-55-48.png

I think it is the wrap not sticking completely to the nose cone. For me, I see a gap at the top of the cone that is not adhering and then it sticks to the part below the T and chrome insert, giving it the impression of a lip. I would be stunned if they changed the design without letting buyers know. Boy oh boy would I be pissed if the car I ordered did not look like the one I got.

Might well be wishful thinking on my part, because I do not like the new look. But I just don't see it.

Where is the outline of the nose cone in the wrap. That's the key part. And yes I know how utterly ridiculous all of this is.

Reactions: droper