Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model S Refresh Mega-thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The cnet article stated what's expected
Front end
Headlights
Vented seats
Door pockets
Paint colors
Maybe more maybe less. No sheet metal changes

But CNET and everyone else reporting this "story" just got their information from the wild speculation on this forum. It's not like they have anything new or more specific than already posted here. Just because it's CNET doesn't make it more believable or accurate or even true.

As stated above, the only real facts we know now are:
-- 100 kWh battery leak
-- Price increase

EVERYTHING else is still pure and total speculation.

Reactions: eyespii
But CNET and everyone else reporting this "story" just got their information from the wild speculation on this forum. It's not like they have anything new or more specific than already posted here. Just because it's CNET doesn't make it more believable or accurate or even true.

As stated above, the only real facts we know now are:
-- 100 kWh battery leak
-- Price increase

EVERYTHING else is still pure and total speculation.

CNETs source is someone within Tesla. Not this forum. Read the article closely. There are even details in the article that have never appeared as rumors here before.

Reactions: RobStark
Sure but if I remove the nose cone and then wrap plastic over the exposed hole I would see the edges of the nosecone.
Well, we can clearly see the top, which of course is also consistent with the Model X design. However, it's the clearly visible ridge below that which I think is consistent with the bumper behind the Model S nose cone. Neither the X nor the 3 have a sharp horizontal line that high up on the bumper. The crease on the X and 3 is right above the air intake at the bottom of the bumper. I can't imagine Tesla making that small of a sunken area at the top of the nose. I could be wrong, but that's my feeling.

It could well be that they are adjusting the price more overseas because of currency issues.

I've heard this before but it makes no sense to me. Why would the US price be adjusted due to currency issues? In Canada, we've had a few adjustments due currency issues, as I am sure other countries have too, due to the strong US dollar (and falling oil prices which hit our dollar hard). Tesla already does these adjustments regularly with regard to currencies issues. But you don't adjust the US price due to other currency valuations unless it has to do with the price of parts and any non-US parts are from countries with falling currencies so the price Tesla is paying is less. Therefore, if anything, we should a US price reduction due to currencies issues but that's not the case.

In my opinion, the refresh we are about to see will include new features and upgrades and with that comes increased cost, hence increased price. It has nothing to do with currency issues.

CNETs source is someone within Tesla. Not this forum. Read the article closely. There are even details in the article that have never appeared as rumors here before.
CNET claims their source is someone within Tesla.

As for the price increase, I think they should raise the price when they release new features. Then decrease it monthly on a standard schedule. People who want the latest pay more, people who just purchased their cars don't feel like they missed out.

With a franchise model, this is kinda how it ends up working with closeouts on the lot.

Why not just make it official?

I planning on buying either an CPO S with AP or a new model S then possibly buying a used 3 depending on the size. many of the orders placed for the 3 will most likely be sold quickly for profit. I want to see how small it is on the inside.

Doug, I'm really curious about your strategy on buying used and CPO Model S's. I believe I've seen that you've owned 4 or so Model S variants buying them and then selling them in relatively shorte periods. I'm curious if you buy them to enjoy having something new and then sell it for a small profit, loss or break even or are you taking advantage of good prices and then selling them for a profit (flipping Teslas) for fun AND profit I know in CA the taxes and registration fees would make this impossible without a dealer's license but Oregon is different (no sales tax right?) so maybe it's viable either way.

Anyway, I'm curious about how this works but also curious about the differences you've personally experienced from owning so many iterations of the model s along the way: features. Reliability, quality, battery, motor and door issues. Most people have one or two data points, I think you have at least 4. With a pending flood of CPOs coming (conjecture) I'd like to approach a buying decision with as much real world data from owners versus assumptions from non owners.

See posts 12, 23, 25, 31, 37, 49.....

I think the consensus among the "it's not a refresh pic" crowd is that the nose cone is not in place in those pictures.

Sure but if I remove the nose cone and then wrap plastic over the exposed hole i
Well, we can clearly see the top, which of course is also consistent with the Model X design. However, it's the clearly visible ridge below that which I think is consistent with the bumper behind the Model S nose cone. Neither the X nor the 3 have a sharp horizontal line that high up on the bumper. The crease on the X and 3 is right above the air intake at the bottom of the bumper. I can't imagine Tesla making that small of a sunken area at the top of the nose. I could be wrong, but that's my feeling.

I see what you're saying, but I still can't account for no outline (on the sides) of where the nose cone would go if it has been removed? You get what I'm saying - the circular outline of the nosecone hole is contiguous with the circular area around the emblem. You can clearly see the curved area around the emblem in the photo, but then it abruptly stops - that wouldn't happen with the current design and the nosecone removed, the plastic wrap would form an edge around the circular sides of the nosecone opening.

What has my life come to.

• Funny
Reactions: Canuck and ohmman
an in store tesla employee just told me that the model s changes will happen this coming tuesday. didn't know (or couldn't say) what those "changes" were, but i'm hoping that tuesday is correct. i ordered a model s just a couple weeks back and was told it'd be a late april/early may delivery by the store manager, but now i'm seeing that my account says "may/early june" delivery, so i'm really hoping that delay is due to some new standard upgrades. probably wishful thinking.