Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model S Refresh Mega-thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've heard this before but it makes no sense to me. Why would the US price be adjusted due to currency issues?
I think what @JST said was "..they are adjusting the price more overseas because of currency.."

So the increase here in the US is maybe due to margin issues, newly introduced improvements, facelift (in order to protect CPO/used values of non-facelifted vehicles), or whatever. However, the adjustments overseas might be higher to adjust for exchange rates that haven't yet been reflected in the price there.

If I'm wrong @JST, please tell me to stop putting words in your mouth. And you can both slap me.

I don't think they would or will change any sheet metal with this possible "refresh", as I don't think they would want to retool, redo crash testing etc. If this happens my feeling is that the upgrades will be "bolt-on" in nature, and the look of this pic is compatible with a change to the nose of the car without any change to the hood itself in my opinion.

I think what @JST said was "..they are adjusting the price more overseas because of currency.."

So the increase here in the US is maybe due to margin issues, newly introduced improvements, facelift (in order to protect CPO/used values of non-facelifted vehicles), or whatever. However, the adjustments overseas might be higher to adjust for exchange rates that haven't yet been reflected in the price there.

If I'm wrong @JST, please tell me to stop putting words in your mouth. And you can both slap me.

Yeah, that's what I meant. Obviously I have no idea what they are planning to do, but it wouldn't surprise me if the price increase was different in different markets.

I don't think they would or will change any sheet metal with this possible "refresh", as I don't think they would want to retool, redo crash testing etc. If this happens my feeling is that the upgrades will be "bolt-on" in nature, and the look of this pic is compatible with a change to the nose of the car without any change to the hood itself in my opinion.

So you're saying basically a new "snap-in" nosecone? Retrofittable?

I'm not sure that qualifies as a "refresh" or "facelift". That's more of an "upgrade".

But I guess we'll see.

I'm not sure that qualifies as a "refresh" or "facelift". That's more of an "upgrade".

But I guess we'll see.

Or a front bumper piece - just the fiberglass. This is consistent with what I've heard. Not changing the sheet metal or frame at all. No major retooling.

Now if it is a refresh or facelift - I think any change in style that is discernable would qualify as a refresh or facelift! I also think it will be a retrofittable option...

But I guess we'll see.

A new bumper cover and lights. BMW is notorious for this and to give you an example of just how much of a difference it can make, here's the same sheetmetal with different headlights and bumper cover. First we'll go with the standard 2011 5 series bumper cover and HID headlamps.

2011_BMW_535i_--_NHTSA_1.jpg

Now here's the 2014 LifeCycle Impluse (BMW's terminology for a mid-life facelift). The change here is just a bumper cover and LED headlights.

ac7d97b67d8d51393bb3421d59e70e3fx.jpg

And to accentuate how much of a difference just a different bumper cover can make, same car with the M-Sport bumper cover.

546b271a52936_-_bmw535d_cdauto_111313_5-lg.jpg

upload_2016-4-7_20-55-48-png.171222

I hope what we get is inline with this. That way we could retrofit what is most likely to be LED headlights and update existing cars. That and it makes sense to get something like this as it would bring styling in line with the Model X and 3 without necessitating any sheetmetal changes. Plus it's all the car needs. The front 1/4 view has always been the Model S's weakest angle. The rear hips are timeless and combine the existing design with an upgrade to the luminescent tail lights and you've got an all around winner.

The Model S needs so little.

Reactions: gsxdsm
Are Tesla not doing factory tours at the moment? Seems like it would be super obvious if anyone (or at least, those on the lookout for changes) got to see the production line. I've VIN 136xxx, still due for late April/early May (locked in Apr 2).

Anything is possible I guess. But again, why would they make a new center console that's all one piece now and then make a whole nother one for the refresh a few weeks or a month later?
Till we see the refresh nobody knows but just basing it on the announcement which did say there were retractable rear cup holders and that's not the case with the center consoles people have been receiving

Simple math: base P90X is selling 115,500 USD in states. with exchange rate 1.33, 115,500x1.33x1.061=162,831 what is listed here? 171,800 CAD, you still don't think Tesla is hosing Canadian?

Model X Design Studio - Canadian prices