Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model S Refresh Mega-thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone seen a new S in the wild? Maybe we need a new thread. Curious to know what the camera on the windshield looks like from outside the car as well as inside.

Also, the radar might be considerably higher than before resulting in better data/reflections coming back. Another win for the design. Hopefully taken into consideration when mounting the license plate.

Say what? Maybe I have been asleep at the switch, but where/when has Tesla recommended against the two-hand method to close the hood? First I have heard of this. Just checked the latest version of the Owner's Manual (4/5/16) in MyTesla, and it explicitly describes the 2-hand method and says not to use one hand. So I am confused by your comment. Did I misunderstand you?
Indeed, not only is it in mine but my DS explicitly told us to ONLY close the frunk with the "two palm method" right before showing us how to do it during our delivery appointment.
It's been a long while now so my timeline may be off a bit, but early owners were told to use the base of your palms on the leading edge of the hood on either side of the Tesla logo. You can see this method in the original owner's videos, and owners generally called this the "two palm method." Later on, sometime in mid to late 2014, the suggested closing mechanism for all vehicles was changed to using both hands on the far ends of the hood near the headlights (the "Green zones" in the current user manual).

Lots of people used the old method without ever causing any damage, while on other vehicles that same mechanism seemed to cause damage, hence the change in suggested closing practice. There's a big thread (Frunk Dent (Frustrating...)) and a bunch of smaller ones with way more detail than anyone with a newer vehicle would ever likely care about. :)

Anyone seen a new S in the wild? Maybe we need a new thread. Curious to know what the camera on the windshield looks like from outside the car as well as inside.

Also, the radar might be considerably higher than before resulting in better data/reflections coming back. Another win for the design. Hopefully taken into consideration when mounting the license plate.

Couple of pictures here, no CG, as was pointed out up-thread:
Facelift Bilder, ist da was dran? • TFF Forum - Tesla Fahrer & Freunde

Taken in-store in Munich.

But we shouldn't minimize how PeterJ is feeling by exaggerating and saying it has been like this for all of us when it hasn't been. That's just not fair!
Everyone who has placed an order for an S has risked missing out on new features introduced when their car is in production. Overall, a relatively small number of S owners have missed out on new features, the majority have not. But it is a risk for everyone.

Reactions: Btrflyl8e
Not sure if anything like this was posted before, but I made some comparison gifs. Note that the rear seat headrests and rear chrome applique were changed pre-redesign.
output_t3pgFO.gif
output_Yy7H2k.gif

Last edited:
Everyone who has placed an order for an S has risked missing out on new features introduced when their car is in production. Overall, a relatively small number of S owners have missed out on new features, the majority have not. But it is a risk for everyone.

Did I say that wasn't a risk for everyone? Did I come close to even in any way implying that? I did not!

All I said was that TexasEV's assertion that "every Tesla owner could tell this story" was a ridiculous exaggeration, because unlike every Tesla owner, PeterJ had been convinced to take delivery earlier than he had planned to, AND that then resulted directly in his missing out on some free improvements.

While THE RISK of the car being improved after purchase exists for all owners, having someone from Tesla convince you to take delivery early, AND then having that decision negatively impact you IS NOT something that all owners have had to deal with. Thankfully it is likely that only a very, very small number of owners have found themselves in exactly that situation. Unfortunately for PeterJ, he is one of them.

I in no way blamed Tesla. I merely pointed out that PeterJ's disappointment was understandable, and should not be minimized by inaccurate exaggerations.

Not sure if anything like this was posted before, but here are some nice comparisons. Note that the rear seat headrests and rear chrome applique were changed pre-redesign.View attachment 172254 View attachment 172255
Interesting. Thanks for the pics. I see the rear view mirror looks different as well.

Honestly, I didn't think the rear headrests could get any bigger. lol.

Are the intial pictures pre-autopilot? That could explain the mirror and headrests.

I predict the larger 100kW battery in a few months or by year end along with the base battery going to 75 on the Model S. The 'free' upgrade people are getting now, on already ordered cars, will lessen the outcry when the larger battery, ventilated seats and other items are updated in the near future.