Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model S Refresh Mega-thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if anything like this was posted before, but I made some comparison gifs. Note that the rear seat headrests and rear chrome applique were changed pre-redesign.

Wow, that's a great "diff" between the two models. Also allows us to revisit the alleged "spy photos" of the facelift cars for more insights.

I took the liberty to merge these images, and I think we have some pretty hard evidence that these wrapped cars are not, in fact, facelift cars.

1 (in green arrows): The arc of the curve of the nosecone is much more pronounced on the "classic" nosecone, which matches the arc of the wrapped nose. The same arc on the facelift car is much more flat, with only a very slight curve to it.
2 (in blue arrows): The cars in the spy photos still have the black rocker panels, not body colored, as in the facelift cars. This is most clear looking at the flat/straight line of the front fender in front of the front wheel, compared to the full body color fender in the top right corner image (as well as the same difference on the rear wheels and quarter panel).
3 (thin red lines): The "gap" of the top of the nosecone in the facelift cars is very narrow, perhaps just an inch or less. The same gap on classic cars is much wider, perhaps 2" or so with the nosecone removed for shipping.

upload_2016-4-15_19-24-24.png

So there you have it. I'm really not sure how else you could possibly identify these cars as facelift cars. But I'm sure people will still dispute my results, calling these wrapped cars "hybrids" or "release prototypes", or whatever.

Wow, that's a great "diff" between the two models. Also allows us to revisit the alleged "spy photos" of the facelift cars for more insights.

I took the liberty to merge these images, and I think we have some pretty hard evidence that these wrapped cars are not, in fact, facelift cars.

1 (in green arrows): The arc of the curve of the nosecone is much more pronounced on the "classic" nosecone, which matches the arc of the wrapped nose. The same arc on the facelift car is much more flat, with only a very slight curve to it.
2 (in blue arrows): The cars in the spy photos still have the black rocker panels, not body colored, as in the facelift cars. This is most clear looking at the flat/straight line of the front fender in front of the front wheel, compared to the full body color fender in the top right corner image (as well as the same difference on the rear wheels and quarter panel).
3 (thin red lines): The "gap" of the top of the nosecone in the facelift cars is very narrow, perhaps just an inch or less. The same gap on classic cars is much wider, perhaps 2" or so with the nosecone removed for shipping.

View attachment 172438

So there you have it. I'm really not sure how else you could possibly identify these cars as facelift cars. But I'm sure people will still dispute my results, calling these wrapped cars "hybrids" or "release prototypes", or whatever.

You're right Hank. I was wrong.

Reactions: robby and ohmman

View attachment 172438

There are a few photos out there of a red car with the new nose but still with the black sills. I'll see if I can dig them back up. Seems odd, but they did it. Prototypes as you say?

Still also very interested to know if the hood is a new part... Maybe less frunk crease risk if it's been re-engineered? One can dream...

I need to ask about Piano, I really don't want wood look

I have that "dark ash wood trim" on my Model X. The stain is so black and dark you can barely make out any ash wood grain at all. It's also has a high gloss finish. They are probably standardizing on it as the base so they can order higher S + X volumes of it. (For the X, I paid $750 option fee before it became standardized.)

Does anybody else think Tesla has a mistake in their online design studio for the look of the new "Dark Ash" trim? I saw comments that the grain was much less noticeable in person so I went to a store yesterday (and incidentally was told the new Model S would not be displayed until the end of the month).

The samples on the wall were indeed much more subtle...almost looking like the piano black with hair-line dark grains as others described. If you look at the Model X ordering system, the grain is also much more subdued (you can see it most visibly on the door panel). I really dislike the look in the Model S ordering system, but don't mind the more subtle grains. I have a pending order and am trying to figure out if I need to upgrade to get something I'll be satisfied with.
I put pics in I believe this thread, you can barely tell the grain is there when there is a reflection

Does anybody else think Tesla has a mistake in their online design studio for the look of the new "Dark Ash" trim? I saw comments that the grain was much less noticeable in person so I went to a store yesterday (and incidentally was told the new Model S would not be displayed until the end of the month).

The samples on the wall were indeed much more subtle...almost looking like the piano black with hair-line dark grains as others described. If you look at the Model X ordering system, the grain is also much more subdued (you can see it most visibly on the door panel). I really dislike the look in the Model S ordering system, but don't mind the more subtle grains. I have a pending order and am trying to figure out if I need to upgrade to get something I'll be satisfied with.

Maybe they want their only "free" option to not look good online.

The front end on the refreshed Model S looks strikingly different and classy. However, I'm perplexed by those views that state the previous design was unattractive, sometimes described as sporting a fake grill (I've never found any grill marks on mine.). Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I love the front of my 2014 Model S! It has a cool nose cone, so at least on the exterior, it's more like a true spaceship!Spacex dragon.jpg

I've been following Tesla and their cars for years. I always liked their Model S design, but from the get go I disliked the fishmouth in the front. That was the only negative in my eyes. I am glad they finally refreshed the design and got rid of it. IMHO the new look is cleaner and meaner.
I was a little bummed out when I heard of the refresh not even a week after I confirmed my order. They fixed the one thing I didn't like after I placed my order, bummer! And then I was more than thrilled when I got the email from Tesla stating that my order will include those design and other changes.

For me also, the Model S refresh came out after I placed my order. But I got the email from Tesla stating that my order will include those design and other changes.

I ordered the Glossy Obeche Wood Decor but I liked the Figured Ash Wood Decor (which came out after ordering). Do you think I should ask if they will change it for me without the $500 change? I dont think its fair to not allow the change now; they did not have Figured Ash while ordering otherwise I would have gone with it. What do you all think?

• Helpful
Reactions: daviddavidw