Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model S Refresh Mega-thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was down at Santana Row over the weekend celebrating my birthday having dinner at Fogo de Chao and we happened to swing by the Tesla store there. The new front end on the Model S looks great! As much as I liked the Model S before and Tesla in general, I always thought that the faux grill was a poor and unnecessary design choice. The new design is a huge improvement and it works even better now that the X and 3 all have a similar look. Well done Tesla!!

The new headlights look amazing. I saw them up close yesterday. I asked the salespeople if the optional adaptive (light beam turns when cornering) headlights physically rotate or do different LEDs come on when the steering wheel is turned. They didn't know. Seems to me it could be done either way. But having additional fixed LEDs light up when cornering would mean no need for tiny servo motors and the wear and tear of moving parts.

I should have requested that they put the showroom demo 70D in Drive with foot on the brake and turn the wheel 45 degrees with headlights on while I watched the headlights. Even though it was daytime I think I could have determined how the adaptive headlights worked.

The new headlights look amazing. I saw them up close yesterday. I asked the salespeople if the optional adaptive (light beam turns when cornering) headlights physically rotate or do different LEDs come on when the steering wheel is turned. They didn't know. Seems to me it could be done either way. But having additional fixed LEDs light up when cornering would mean no need for tiny servo motors and the wear and tear of moving parts.

I should have requested that they put the showroom demo 70D in Drive with foot on the brake and turn the wheel 45 degrees with headlights on while I watched the headlights. Even though it was daytime I think I could have determined how the adaptive headlights worked.
This video from Bjorn is about the adaptive headlights in the Model X, but most likely will work the same way in the Model S:

indeed, there are additional sections inside the lights, 3 sections, no servo motor or rotation.

Thanks for the link to Bjorn's video. That clarifies things. So there are 3 additional LEDs in each headlight and they activate sequentially as you turn the wheel. They are low beam only (project about 30 ft), the high beam does not change as you turn.

Seems like an improvement, but only useful at lower speeds, not on the freeway/highway. Of course the curves are gentler on the freeway.

While we're talking about the front license plate... First of all, I'm from Germany so I am not so familiar with the laws here in the US.

So here's my question: I live in FL, where we don't have to have front license plate. What if I take my car on a road trip to let's say CA, where they do require license plates in the front. Can I get ticketed for it?

Please excuse my brief side tracking here...

I can't say for sure by citing a law, but in general driving laws in one state must be permitted in another by compact between the states. If you are caught (as I was once when working in Washington D.C. for a year) I was not ticketed but had to change my place of residence to Maryland. That caused all kinds of problems, changing registration of car, refinancing of the car at my Federal Credit Union, etc. No ticket was issued in the instance but I want always to drive legally. If you are legal in Florida and only visiting another state you should be in no trouble. The Basic Law of Germany must have some similar provision, though we probably are more a federation than your home country.

Hope this helps. (I'm a retired government professor, though not a constitutional expert.)

But I posted at 3:36am!

5:30pm! For the love of all that is holy, WHY SO LATE?!?! I need to live vicariously through you...

LOL! I hadn't noticed the time of your post! Regarding my 5:30 delivery, I was trying to show some restraint and convince myself that I'm in charge, my Model S does not control me. I was wrong, and I'm sorry to you and anyone else that was living vicariously through me...

xG35 - First, I'm my boss, and I'm a pain in the ass to work for. Second, I have to pay for this car somehow, don't I?