Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model S Tires.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
My question is should I get new tires, and what kind? I have a 2016 Model S, 85D, 19” rim. I have 22,665 miles currently. They are also Michelins, probably original. I bought the car 2 years ago with 13,000 miles. Research tells me the tires should be changed every 6 years, or high miles. Car is 7 years old, still sweet, we just did a road trip with 2,000 miles. What would be the best tire to get for the money? Thank you for sharing your expertise.

I'm impressed that you've gotten that much out of the original tires - I suspect someone changed them out b/c it would seem that the usual lifespan of the actual OEM tires is around 10k-15k, since the treadwear numbers were around 250-280. Very performance oriented, lousy for longevity.

But enough about that. Are the tires close to the markers? (stick a penny upside down into the deepest portion of the tread. If you can see all of Lincoln's hair, the tires are too thin. If the tires are down to his nose, they are brand new)

If they aren't close to the markers which run across the tire inside the tread, you can wait a bit. When those bumps are even with the rest of the tread, you have 2/32 of tread remaining and the tires are DONE. Don't wait that long, for better water traction performance. For the best tires I have ever tried though - and I am NOT a fan of Michelin - the Crossclimate2 are amazing on the Tesla. I actually have a full set on 19" Tesla rims that I'd be willing to sell, as I got Tsportline rims. The tires only have about 6000 miles on them and look new. 65k mile expected treadlife.
You can't go wrong with these, even if you get your own set from your favorite tire dealer. I got these from TireRack.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
I measured and checked my Michelin primacy mxm 4. Of course the used car dealer didn’t include any information about the tires age. I placed the penny in the threads and Lincoln’s hair is covered a little, and one tire not at all. The Goodyear Eagle touring with sound comfort looks to be had for about a grand with the coupon I got.

Attachments

• IMG_4856.jpeg
    IMG_4856.jpeg
    449.1 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_4857.jpeg
    IMG_4857.jpeg
    418.3 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_4858.jpeg
    IMG_4858.jpeg
    550.6 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_4859.jpeg
    IMG_4859.jpeg
    389.3 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_4860.jpeg
    IMG_4860.jpeg
    439 KB · Views: 55
I’m surprised that you have had no issues with the weight index 98 when usually it should be 102. I’m running OEM size 245/45R19, also the same on my winter tyres.
Who are you replying to? If it was to me, the tires I bought were 235/45/19 and 92V rated. That's 1709 lbs rated per tire, where 102 is 1879. The ones I bought are still easily able to carry the 5000 lbs of the car's weight, and the front two alone can nearly carry that load. Well within safe limits. The extra capacity is nice, but not really at an issue.

Hey this is my thread and I’m trying to figure out the the best tires to get. The original owner only put 13,000 miles on the car in 5 years. I’ve had it for 2. I’m up to 22,000 now with some tread left, but maybe not much. Tire size says 245/45R19 98W I don’t know what the 98W means, but most tire people are telling me to stay with Michelin, in fact I use to buy Michelin for my former Volvo S60’s. I’m not trying to create controversy guys, I’m just trying to get the best price on the best tire. The Sailun ERange EV that Cheburaska suggested sound really good, but seem hard to come by.

The Erange are 102W, so perfect for this car.

I just went to the dealer locator and found a shop near me that carries the brand, and they were able to overnight a set to the shop.

My total cost was $1050 out the door which is significantly cheaper than even the Costco price for Michelins.

Who are you replying to? If it was to me, the tires I bought were 235/45/19 and 92V rated. That's 1709 lbs rated per tire, where 102 is 1879. The ones I bought are still easily able to carry the 5000 lbs of the car's weight, and the front two alone can nearly carry that load. Well within safe limits. The extra capacity is nice, but not really at an issue.
Well I was replying to OP, no intention to hijack the thread. I’m glad to see that I do not have to stick to the high load value as this gives more selection. I also have had only Michelin‘s on the car and as the originals were 102 I thought I need to stick to it. Just recently had to get replacement for the Michelin PS 3 and was not able to get as soon as needed and selected Michelin Premacy 3 instead. One thing I might have noticed is a bit quieter ride but not yet sure.
It’s nice to see that new alternative have arrived, I used to use Sailun tyres on my other vehicles, bot bad at all!

Well I was replying to OP, no intention to hijack the thread. I’m glad to see that I do not have to stick to the high load value as this gives more selection. I also have had only Michelin‘s on the car and as the originals were 102 I thought I need to stick to it. Just recently had to get replacement for the Michelin PS 3 and was not able to get as soon as needed and selected Michelin Premacy 3 instead. One thing I might have noticed is a bit quieter ride but not yet sure.
It’s nice to see that new alternative have arrived, I used to use Sailun tyres on my other vehicles, bot bad at all!
(commenting in general rather than at any specific reply): Once you know how to read a tire and the index information on the door of every car, it becomes a LOT easier to figure out that OEM tires are often weird sizes that are NOT the cheapest selections out there, with little (or none!) change in performance by selecting a slightly "out of spec" alternative.

The factory size for the Model S is indeed 245/45 R19 with some variability of load index and either a V or W speed rating.
The reason I selected 235/45/19 which is 10mm narrower (about the width of your index finger!) was that they were $50 cheaper PER TIRE. V speed rating is still excessive, as different tires WILL NOT have any difference in performance over long durations far below those speeds. Since there are ZERO public roads in the USA where you can drive at 150mph, any car that has tires rated like that is for bragging rights not for performance.

What IS important: Having a load index that is more than sufficient to carry over 1/4 of the vehicle load, and when considered as a pair, near or above half the vehicle's full load. Under extreme maneuvers, nearly all the weight of the car can be carried (momentarily) by just two of the tires, so it is beneficial to have that kind of strength available for consistent control. Outside of that, tires are selected for a vehicle to carry far more (oversized) so that they can be pressured far LESS than the maximum, for a soft ride (or because the owner doesn't pay attention to the pressure loss over time). So it is an added "idiot factor" to oversize the weight limit. If you aren't an idiot, ;) then you can choose from a wider range of acceptable sizes.

The MOST important thing on any tire is how it handles everything OTHER than a dry sunny day. Wet traction. On this, the CrossClimate2 seem to be punching far above their class, b/c they have not been phased on my cars by snow or rain at all, and only marginally less grippy on ice. Very impressed with them, and as I said - I am NOT a Michelin fanboy. I actually hate their tires, or have until I tried these. Now I have them on four different family vehicles.

FYI: "noise reduction" foam inside of a tire doesn't seem to do anything other than make it impossible to fix a flat, and more expensive of a tire. Noise profiles are controlled by the outside tread shape, and the CC2 are also pretty good in that respect.

Reactions: Bobssled