Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model X 90D $112,700 sticker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Traded with a little over 1k miles last week at a dealership in Sarasota, Fl. I am also a dealer here in Florida and bought this to better understand the car. I've had 2 Model S's and 2 Roadsters. This is my first Model X. Quite impressed.

Asking $110k OBO

Clear Florida title in our office.

Just downloaded V 8.0 yesterday.

Trades welcome. As long as I can resell for no loss. Very well versed in all vehicles.

Attachments

• 6749.jpeg
    6749.jpeg
    502.4 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_20161005_101347625_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20161005_101347625_HDR.jpg
    414.7 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_20161007_114226052.jpg
    IMG_20161007_114226052.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_20161007_114241722.jpg
    IMG_20161007_114241722.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 137
You're going to need to adjust your price to move it, just based on the $7,500 federal tax credit. And for those who live in states that offer deeper incentives, even more. (For example, California buyers could buy that car, brand new, and get $10,000 off/back).

Though you say you're a dealer (?) you may also want to visit here:
Depreciation Infographic: How Fast Does My New Car Lose Value?

Based on that, a conventional car would be 9% off MSRP once used. That puts this car around $102,500 estimated value, at a retail level. From there, you need to adjust for the $7,500 federal tax credit. Based on a very similar car to yours for sale right now at SF Toyota - they are asking $96k - i'd say that is a pretty reasonable price right now for a non-performance car. I've seen used P90D cars going for what you're asking.

I'd be pretty interested in your 90D here, if the price were in the low-$90k range ... which is where these will be soon. Good luck with your sale!

I understand and don't disagree that patience can provide a better price. But availability is a factor too. There are no white cars equipped this way in the market for the price you suggest today. Would I take less? A little. For you or anyone else to order a new one will take 1-2 months. The ability to drive my car for 2 months has value.

There are no used cars in white like mine advertised anywhere let alone for less money. Supply and demand always rules. Not to mention the $7,500 - $10k tax incentive is not immediate. If a new car buyer gets their car anytime after Jan. 1st, they can't take the deduction till 2018.

I also sold my 2016 Model S 90D with 10k miles for $10k under sticker in July. So if I have to take less I will but only after I drive it more!

• Helpful
Reactions: NoMoGasNeMo
i agree with Arijaycomet on this one... Yes there is about a 6 week wait for a new build but that is not worth losing $7500-$10000 in tax credits (regardless of when they come)... who would think that "right now" is worth 10K...plus consider the build date which seems to be April of 2016... so technically a buyer would lose out on 6 months worth of warranty as well. To your other point, time is not on your side with the 100D now available people in that price range would likely opt for more range. No one knows this more than a P85+ owner... these cars have taken more of a hit than any other model...my 2014 was top of the heap in June of 2014 and 4 months later it was just another RWD car without the coveted Auto Pilot..So if AP version 2 get announced / released your value will fall dramatically.

No offense and I do not mean to be critical but anyone who knows Teslas and the EV incentive programs would opt for a new build every time and at the same time get it optioned to their personal specifications...95-96K is what I think you might be able to get unless you find someone that does not know Teslas like the folks on this site...

GLWS...

Fully agree with other members your ask is agressive, I bought a brand new inventory X in the last week of q3 similar and paid less and get the tax advantages. Can't fault you for asking though, but you will probably have a better chance of selling to a non educated audience. Try eBay, but then again you're a car dealer so you.

Long answer, it's not an apples to apples comparison. I didn't want PUP or updated high fidelity sound and mine was an inventory car with 700 miles.

Short answer- no, all I will say is I am still grinning from what I think was a very nicely timed purchase.

I think the focus of what you're looking for is to sell the model X? List it and see, the market will tell you if it's priced right. Just an FYI, this is not an apples to apples comparison, someone could buy this today-https://www.tesla.com/new/5yjxcbe20gf015122

Reactions: davidc18
It seems the OBO has been completely overlooked. It's not inconceivable that the right situation could result in a $110k sale. However unlikely, it is a possibility. It always depends on circumstances for both the buyer and seller. Will I ultimately sell it for that or $85k a year from now with 18k miles on it? Can't answer that either. Until someone makes a legitimate counter offer, all our opinions are just that, opinions. But I don't mind the comment at all and in fact welcome them. It shapes my understanding of future acquisitions. :)

As I stated in the original listing, my price

Or Best Offer

And I often can offer more on trades than any Tesla store. That alone can be a $10k spread. When i wanted to trade my 2016 Model S 90 D with 8k miles they offered me $72k. I sold it retail for $90k. $18k more than their offer for their own product!!

The Model X was safely in our garage here in Lake County. Our highest wind gusts were approx. 40 mph. A blanket of leaves and very small limbs were the extent of challenges for us. Eustis, Fl. is located 28 miles West - Northwest of Orlando. I was bragging to friends however that the Model X battery would sustain our phone charging needs for likely 6 months! Silly as it sounds, it was comforting to know we would always have power to charge them.

Reactions: Ormond
Since comments are welcome by the OP, I'll mention two other things that would lead me to de-value this car beyond those already mentioned:

1. I view this car as a "play with and sell" by the current owner. More akin to buying a rental than from a private party.
2. Model X had teething problems, so a low VIN is not attractive.

Last edited:
Let's see....

Where to begin?

* I welcome the commentary, it provides an opportunity to explore the amazing world of Tesla and many perspectives!!!

Thank you. Sincerely.

1. I view this car as a "play with and sell" by the current owner. More akin to buying a rental than from a private party.
A rental car will have several hundred different and often abusive drivers. How could anyone possibly suggest this of our car first from the standpoint the car thus far has had 4 drivers since new. Then the odd perspective that a total stranger has judged my care for a very high valued asset. You know nothing about me or my respect for the assets in my care. How could this be a reasonable position? To suggest that my wife of 35 years or myself have tortured or de-valued this car by "Playing" with it is at the very least strange. Maybe review my LinkedIn page and consider if I seem like an abusive character.

I think we all can agree, there are many private party single owners who completely trash their cars. I just don't happen to be one of them. And so you know, rental cars bring within $1k - $2k of non-rental cars at the wholesale auctions. I'm speaking about the cars Sixt or Hertz would offer in the Mercedes or BMW line. And the Tesla demo/loaner program will have hundreds of different drivers vs our 4 driver car. They discount the car approx. $1.00 per mile on the odometer and I believe $1k per month of use. That would make our car for sale around $$104,500. I would sell it for that. And keep in mind, Tesla doesn't have any white demos for sale like ours. There is that whole supply vs demand thing again.

2. Model X had teething problems, so a low VIN is not attractive.
It's an 8 year unlimited mile drivetrain warranty and as you of course know, 4 year 50k full coverage on all parts and labor. If teething problems can be directly associated with a devaluation I would like to understand your matrix. I have been buying and selling highline, luxury, exotic, and classic cars since 1986. To date, a little over a quarter billion dollars worth. Early and late serial numbers of all cars are the most coveted. No one cares about the middle of the run. If you don't believe the company will stand behind the warranty then your point is valid. I'm not the least bit concerned about that.

And what of the trade-in value? Who really cares what the selling price of the car is if the trade in value offered is $15k short! Just test the waters like I have. See how much Tesla or other dealers will pay for your trade. I can always pay more and offset any spread from a seemingly higher purchase price.

I've personally ordered and driven two Model S sedan over 30k miles. Bought one Roadster via the CPO Tesla program, and Kelsey Grammer's 2008 "EARLY" Roadster off ebay. Which by the way was very easy to sell (after I was finished playing with it) even as a car with significant "Teething problems". Many of which were never resolved. Sadly, none of those sales occurred through this forum.

But I always throw it out there and reply to the comments. And I always use my actual name on all forums. If for no other reason than to cause folks to consider things they might not have processed previously. I'm not much good at many things. I can't say that about this part of my career because I've made the mistakes, learned, and applied the lessons over 30+ years.

Lastly,

Who didn't buy a Tesla of any model and play with it?

And exactly what does that mean? I bought a 2004 Ford F350 new and played with it for 8 years and 100k miles. It still looked brand new when I sold it.

Cheers!

All in my humble opinion. And I enjoy the debate. :)

How do you not discount this uncertainty with everyone then?

Meaning, a one owner person who you don't know offers a car vs me, the "Flipper"?

My point is this, if you either knew me personally or anyone who does, you would fully understand how ridiculously particular I am about assets within my care. You would see this in every aspect of my life. The fact that I buy and sell has absolutely nothing to do with how I care for things. And the presumption that another one owner car that was trashed by a family of drinking, smoking, urban (dings and dents) usage is a BETTER car is in my humble opinion, not defensible.

Thoughts?

By the way, my first car was the 1971 Mach I Mustang pictured. I bought it when I was 14 (I'm 54 today) right off the street. Wasn't even listed for sale. And I do really enjoy buying and selling things that I am very passionate about.

How do you not discount this uncertainty with everyone then?
I *do* discount this uncertainty with everyone.

In your case though, I would distinguish between a person who bought a car with an intent to keep it long(er) term, and your apparent upfront intent of flipping a car after a few weeks or months. You can certainly argue that you will look after the cosmetic appearance since you know from day #1 you plan to sell the car as a speculative venture, but my point is that you would have no motivation to look after the mechanical and electric aspects of the car that translate into long term durability. Somewhat brusquely, I presume that you treat the car as a toy.

I'll stop now, since I do not mean to take your thread off it's intended purpose. I *am* curious to see how much a person will pay to shave 6 weeks off a delivery date for an expensive car that is likely not exactly what they would have personally ordered, part of a cohort with reported fit & finish issues, used in a manner that cannot be clarified with any certainty, depreciated, and with tax credits in your pocket.

<<shrug>>

Last edited: