Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model X AC Compressor question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings again all!!

Tesla sent me an updated estimate on service work. One of the issues was that the AC mysteriously quit providing cold air on 2 occasions during a month where we put a lot of miles put on the car. I just retired and we have been enjoying the ability to get in the car and just go when ever we want:) Once the car was parked for a bit the AC would work fine, and worked fine for several hundred miles before going into the service center. It was working when it went into the service center. They say the compressor has failed and needs to be replaced. I understand that Tesla overestimates work and that it often comes in less when they actually dig into things. I also know that timing could be that it failed when tested but seems like a stretch.

I was thinking it was a computer related or sensor issue. Seems odd that the compressor would be considered as failed in the above situation.

Hoping someone here has had some experience with the AC system. Leaning towards taking it to a different service location or a 3rd party service center for a second opinion?

Cheers

Steve

Thought I would post a note as I got my X back this morning. I just had the rear lift gate fixed and pushed the AC repair work into next year. As always the folks at the Tampa Service Center were friendly and had no problems answering questions. I asked about the service department being backed up and they got backed up over Thanks Giving and were catching up. The lot was full today but not as full as last week so maybe they are getting caught up.

I asked why they would replace the AC Compressor/associated parts etc when it was still working and the only issue was it quit working on 2 occasions. They said that those compressors fail all the time and they are just used to replacing them.

I did think it odd that they didn't push the AC repair to be done now since it seems the battery might be damaged it if wasn't working correctly.

Cheers

Steve