Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model X Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2016 Model X with Autopilot, which at the time was a $2,500 option/upgrade and was the only autopilot option available (Enhanced Autopilot and FSD did not exist).

For purposes of the "free" upgrade on camera, etc., is my car considered FSD or Enhanced Autopilot or neither? I do have "summon" and highway toggle options on the MCU.

I also have MCU 1.0 which is getting upgraded later this week. And Autopilot 1.0.

I have a 2016 Model X with Autopilot, which at the time was a $2,500 option/upgrade and was the only autopilot option available (Enhanced Autopilot and FSD did not exist).

For purposes of the "free" upgrade on camera, etc., is my car considered FSD or Enhanced Autopilot or neither? I do have "summon" and highway toggle options on the MCU.

I also have MCU 1.0 which is getting upgraded later this week. And Autopilot 1.0.

AP1 is in its own class of autopilot hardware. If you really have an AP1 car (1 camera mounted behind the windshield, no cameras on the turn signal repeaters or B-pillars), there's zero chance of upgrading to any of the later generations of Autopilot hardware needed for EAP or FSD. That also means no camera upgrades, either free or paid.

Sorry if that comes as a surprise. However, in my experience, AP1 actually delivers a better driving experience than HW3+FSD, for the limited functionality that AP1 supports. Specifically I'd rather drive with AP1 on long freeway drives, although FSD beta 11 is getting better.

Bruce.

Reactions: Art VandeIay
Upvote 0
AP1 is in its own class of autopilot hardware. If you really have an AP1 car (1 camera mounted behind the windshield, no cameras on the turn signal repeaters or B-pillars), there's zero chance of upgrading to any of the later generations of Autopilot hardware needed for EAP or FSD. That also means no camera upgrades, either free or paid.

Sorry if that comes as a surprise. However, in my experience, AP1 actually delivers a better driving experience than HW3+FSD, for the limited functionality that AP1 supports. Specifically I'd rather drive with AP1 on long freeway drives, although FSD beta 11 is getting better.

Bruce.
I got to drive an AP1 loaner and I was shocked how good it was on the highway. It reminded me of Cadillac Super Cruise. Was AP1 the system manufactured by Mobileye or something different?

Upvote 0

Bruce.
Thanks Bruce. Would it still be worth it upgrade to MCU2 (with my 2016 AP1)?

Upvote 0
Thanks Bruce. Would it still be worth it upgrade to MCU2 (with my 2016 AP1)?
I had the same dilemma with my 2015 MS. In the end, I didn't do the upgrade since you don't gain Sentry mode or Dashcam. You get more apps/games and a snappier interface, and if you have the upgraded sound system you get a slight upgrade with MCU2 (spatialization and sub controls), but those weren't worth it to me.

I have also noticed there is a bluetooth upgrade with MCU2 and phone calls sound much clearer, but this is based on my personal experience and I can't confirm 100%

If you supercharge often, I could see a use case for having video streaming services. But that's an expensive upgrade for something I can do on a phone or tablet while sitting in the car.

Upvote 0
I have “highway autopilot” which I’m told Tesla considers equivalent to enhanced autopilot” for whatever that’s worth.

AP1 (a.k.a. "Highway Autopilot") gives you similar (but not identical) functionality to EAP. In particular, you get more features than the base Autopilot functionality that's enabled on all Teslas sold today (early 2023).

Note however that with AP1, you have no side-facing cameras and the rear camera isn't hooked up to the Autopilot computer, so the car can really only see (visually) what's in front of it. However in contrast to many Teslas sold today, AP1 cars have (and use) radar and ultrasonic sensors. Geez as I'm writing this, the more I want to hold on to my ancient Model S. :cool:

Bruce.

Upvote 0
Having just purchased a used X, the 2016 comes with a pretty good discount because it has AP 1.0. To the credit of Tesla, if you see a screenshot of the software screen, it will say "Autopilot 1.0". But, some sites won't have a pic of that screen :p. The dead giveaway is the emblem/no-side-cam on the fender - it's flat vs. on very late model 2016s and 2017+ it is a camera.

1680585456660.png

Upvote 0