Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 P100D with AP2 for $79K

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah , I wonder how much faster thru the year they will depreciate the X And S with Elon cutting new prices so substantially ($18k )?!

Dealers will hit a point where they drop to cost or just send it to auction and roll the dice to recoup some of the trade-in cost. Tesla I'm sure is just gonna keep to their algorithm of price discounts. They tend to still get that "I got to have it now" person willing to pay a premium and not actually shop around or wait.

A fully loaded P100D Ludicrous used to cost about $160K and now it is $124K before any rebates, so it is now the same price as what a P85D used to cost brand new. And without Ludicrous a brand new P100D will be $109K, before rebates.

This means it makes little sense to consider a used P100D for more than around $80K, especially considering that before long you can buy essentially new inventory P100Ds for around $100K or even the $90Ks.

• Informative
  • Love
Reactions: Cowby and Sg911
A fully loaded P100D Ludicrous used to cost about $160K and now it is $124K before any rebates, so it is now the same price as what a P85D used to cost brand new. And without Ludicrous a brand new P100D will be $109K, before rebates.

This means it makes little sense to consider a used P100D for more than around $80K, especially considering that before long you can buy essentially new inventory P100Ds for around $100K or even the $90Ks.
Tesla may be hoping that they will not have as many test drive inventory cars to discount without as many showrooms. Ludicrous is fine but unless you are going to the track it’s not a lot more than bragging rights. Everyone knows the Ludicrous name and it’s surprising how many people ask about it.

Very insightful points. Thx!

Tesla may be hoping that they will not have as many test drive inventory cars to discount without as many showrooms. Ludicrous is fine but unless you are going to the track it’s not a lot more than bragging rights. Everyone knows the Ludicrous name and it’s surprising how many people ask about it.

Or they can exclusively use P100Ds for test drives because those models can be software selected to act as 100D models?

Or they can exclusively use P100Ds for test drives because those models can be software selected to act as 100D models?
They have have been able to limit cars performance for as long as I can remember to any size less than what it was built but that hasn’t changed the number of demo cars needed. I was told it’s in all cars you just have to be able to access what they called showroom or demo mode. I remover seeing 60, 70, 75, 90 and 100 in P cars but I can’t remember if all were available at the same time or just 3 different sizes. I thought it would have been interesting to access that from time to time just to appreciate the performance.

Last edited:
I just wish I didn't dislike that nosecone so much :/ would save quite a bit. If I just make sure to buy one built after June 2016 I should be fine.

We've seen CPO P85Ds in the late 40s. Buy one of those and get a new bumper refresh for $4K for the best value. You can probably get that all done for the low 50s. A refresh P90D is not worth an extra $10K, especially not knowing if the battery is version 3.

We've seen CPO P85Ds in the late 40s. Buy one of those and get a new bumper refresh for $4K for the best value. You can probably get that all done for the low 50s. A refresh P90D is not worth an extra $10K, especially not knowing if the battery is version 3.

Definitely an option I considered, but something just seems off about those bumper retrofits. I believe I read that P90Ds manufactured after 2016/06 would be V3 battery. The ~48K P85Ds are mostly from early 2015 from what I see and adding the 4K for the bumper puts them at 52K. I think I'd rather pay 60K for a 2016 refreshed P90D, probably with Ludicrous. That is assuming I can find one for 60K, but I think I can. I saw one go for 66K a couple days before the price drop announcement.

The other option I'm considering is a 80K P100D with AP2, which I believe we'll see pretty soon. I'm still on the fence for that though, as I'm starting to lose confidence that AP2 will ever get any features that make it worthwhile over AP1.

Definitely an option I considered, but something just seems off about those bumper retrofits. I believe I read that P90Ds manufactured after 2016/06 would be V3 battery. The ~48K P85Ds are mostly from early 2015 from what I see and adding the 4K for the bumper puts them at 52K. I think I'd rather pay 60K for a 2016 refreshed P90D, probably with Ludicrous. That is assuming I can find one for 60K, but I think I can. I saw one go for 66K a couple days before the price drop announcement.

The other option I'm considering is a 80K P100D with AP2, which I believe we'll see pretty soon. I'm still on the fence for that though, as I'm starting to lose confidence that AP2 will ever get any features that make it worthwhile over AP1.

They did promise FSD for AP2 cars. So if FSD software is developed for AP3, they would need to somehow upgrade AP 2 cars to AP 3. There's really no grey area here, as they promised AP2 cars are or will be FSD capable.

They did promise FSD for AP2 cars. So if FSD software is developed for AP3, they would need to somehow upgrade AP 2 cars to AP 3. There's really no grey area here, as they promised AP2 cars are or will be FSD capable.

They've re-defined FSD on their website. While the features in the new definition sound cool, they're still going to require constant supervision of the car. Part of me thinks just saving that $20K would be the better option and using it when real FSD is released which I believe is going to require significantly better hardware and is quite a few years away.

But the other part of me wanting to purchase a Tesla isn't totally rational and I want to get the best. So I guess I'll see what entices me enough to press that buy button.

They've re-defined FSD on their website. While the features in the new definition sound cool, they're still going to require constant supervision of the car. Part of me thinks just saving that $20K would be the better option and using it when real FSD is released which I believe is going to require significantly better hardware and is quite a few years away.

But the other part of me wanting to purchase a Tesla isn't totally rational and I want to get the best. So I guess I'll see what entices me enough to press that buy button.

IMHO you can;t go wrong saving $20K to put towards a 2 year old Tesla with whatever goodies the impending Model S refresh will have. If you can get a P85D around the late 40s, which is now possible, you can't beat that value. Plus future depreciation of that P85D would be a lot less...

Imagine then in 2 years you can sell the P85D, put that $20K you saved into the pot and buy a 2019 or 2020 PxxxD with Tesla's latest and greatest.

IMHO you can;t go wrong saving $20K to put towards a 2 year old Tesla with whatever goodies the impending Model S refresh will have. If you can get a P85D around the late 40s, which is now possible, you can't beat that value. Plus future depreciation of that P85D would be a lot less...

Imagine then in 2 years you can sell the P85D, put that $20K you saved into the pot and buy a 2019 or 2020 PxxxD with Tesla's latest and greatest.

Yeah I meant getting a 60K P90D instead of an 80K P100D. Comparing a 48K P85D + 4K bumper refresh (I can't justify paying 48K for a car whose front I think is ugly) then I'm comparing a 52K 2015 P85D with probably 35K+ miles to a 60K 2016 P90D with 25K miles and ludicrous mode. I think those extras are worth the 8K to me.

But you 100% have a point if you don't mind the old front fascia.

Yeah I meant getting a 60K P90D instead of an 80K P100D. Comparing a 48K P85D + 4K bumper refresh (I can't justify paying 48K for a car whose front I think is ugly) then I'm comparing a 52K 2015 P85D with probably 35K+ miles to a 60K 2016 P90D with 25K miles and ludicrous mode. I think those extras are worth the 8K to me.

But you 100% have a point if you don't mind the old front fascia.

I agree with you if you could buy a P90DL refresh for $60K but the lowest priced P90L Refresh CPO I see is $74K... and it's certainly not worth $22K over a P85D + $4K for the refresh bumper... The problem is there are very few P90DL Refresh cars for sale and by the time those prices come down, might as well buy a P100D, as within 6 months P100Ds will be in the 70s.

If you were to buy a used Tesla NOW, you can't beat a $48K CPO P85D in terms of value...

Reactions: byeLT4
I agree with you if you could buy a P90DL refresh for $60K but the lowest priced P90L Refresh CPO I see is $74K... and it's certainly not worth $22K over a P85D + $4K for the refresh bumper... The problem is there are very few P90DL Refresh cars for sale and by the time those prices come down, might as well buy a P100D, as within 6 months P100Ds will be in the 70s.

If you were to buy a used Tesla NOW, you can't beat a $48K CPO P85D in terms of value...

There was a P90D refresh that went for $66K a couple days before the price drop. I don't need to buy one RIGHT NOW (although I want to) and I'd rather wait for a P90D refresh for $60K vs buying a P85D now. I just think the front isn't pretty so I can't justify paying so much for a car that I don't like the look of.

I've basically decided I'm willing to pay 60K for a refresh P90DL AP1 or 80K for a P100D AP2. Whatever one I can find at that price first I'll buy.

There was a P90D refresh that went for $66K a couple days before the price drop. I don't need to buy one RIGHT NOW (although I want to) and I'd rather wait for a P90D refresh for $60K vs buying a P85D now. I just think the front isn't pretty so I can't justify paying so much for a car that I don't like the look of.

I've basically decided I'm willing to pay 60K for a refresh P90DL AP1 or 80K for a P100D AP2. Whatever one I can find at that price first I'll buy.

Your reasoning/logic is actually quite sound and I agree completely.

I think you can actually do better with pricing if you wait towards the end of the year. But then there is that whole waiting part... :p