Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 P100D with AP2 for $79K

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your reasoning/logic is actually quite sound and I agree completely.

I think you can actually do better with pricing if you wait towards the end of the year. But then there is that whole waiting part... :p

Haha you can always wait longer and get it cheaper, but then the next thing comes out and now that is only a few more months away! I do really want one pretty soon after renting a model S on Turo in December, and I'm willing to wait a few months, but I definitely do want to enjoy it this summer and I think those price points I set will be reached before then.

Haha you can always wait longer and get it cheaper, but then the next thing comes out and now that is only a few more months away! I do really want one pretty soon after renting a model S on Turo in December, and I'm willing to wait a few months, but I definitely do want to enjoy it this summer and I think those price points I set will be reached before then.

AP1 CPO P100Ds are already $82K. Assuming AP2 is worth an extra $6,000 in value and the depreciation rate for the P100D, you are about 3-4 months away from your $80K AP2 P100D.

AP1 CPO P100Ds are already $82K. Assuming AP2 is worth an extra $6,000 in value and the depreciation rate for the P100D, you are about 3-4 months away from your $80K AP2 P100D.

I'm willing to wait that long but I think it'll be sooner than that. You can currently buy a brand new P100DL for $120K or a "new" inventory unit for $105K (and there are a LOT of these) and those has AP2.5, FSD, and MCU2. A late 2016 P100D AP2 is almost 30 months old, basing it off the 105K inventory unit with only 25% depreciation means a 2016 P100DL AP2 should already be less than 80K, or basing it on the brand new car it would need 33% depreciation to reach 80K, which isn't unreasonable. The market just hasn't had time to correct for this price shock, most listings are still being created based on the old MSRP. But if I have to wait a few months for the correct then I'll just do that I guess.

• Informative
Reactions: PhilDavid
I can’t see AP2 being worth $50 over AP1. The only exception is better resale value because so many people don’t realize how glitch free AP1 is. There really isn’t anything meaningful that AP2 has that makes up for the smoothness of AP1. We have both and Navigate on AP cant even be considered a party trick, I have no problem taking an exit on my own. Refresh P90D’s are the best deal out there, they look so much better than the ugly nose cones and perform at 90 percent of the 100. The first battery version really only limits the performance down closer to a P85D, it’s still really fast and not enough difference to tell unless you are actually racing a P100D.

What’s the version 3 difference?
There are 3 different batteries used in the P90D. The first one puts out less max amps but is still brutally fast, but only a bit faster than a P85D. The next two put out more and thus the car is a bit quicker, not as fast as a P100D, but faster than the V1 battery. IMHO it really doesn’t matter that much because most people who have P90D’s don’t even know there is a difference and then when they go to sell the car on this forum they learn. The difference is not even perceptible from the seat of your pants, you need power-tools or a stopwatch to measure the difference.

• Informative
Reactions: Xolt and Sg911
There are 3 different batteries used in the P90D. The first one puts out less max amps but is still brutally fast, but only a bit faster than a P85D. The next two put out more and thus the car is a bit quicker, not as fast as a P100D, but faster than the V1 battery. IMHO it really doesn’t matter that much because most people who have P90D’s don’t even know there is a difference and then when they go to sell the car on this forum they learn. The difference is not even perceptible from the seat of your pants, you need power-tools or a stopwatch to measure the difference.
Thank you FYI! Can One tell by Vin?

Thank you FYI! Can One tell by Vin?
Tesla probably knows what is in every car but the best way to tell is just look at the tag on the battery, it’s right behind the passenger wheel, front of the battery. V2&V3 performance is about the same. There are a couple variations of V2 but they are about the same.

98D6499E-8501-4E26-AD38-4C3EA1107B1D.jpeg

I think the bigger concern for many with the 90 packs is not necessarily the performance but reports of excess degradation making the extra you pay for a 90 pack over an 85 moot.

I can’t see AP2 being worth $50 over AP1. The only exception is better resale value because so many people don’t realize how glitch free AP1 is. There really isn’t anything meaningful that AP2 has that makes up for the smoothness of AP1. We have both and Navigate on AP cant even be considered a party trick, I have no problem taking an exit on my own. Refresh P90D’s are the best deal out there, they look so much better than the ugly nose cones and perform at 90 percent of the 100. The first battery version really only limits the performance down closer to a P85D, it’s still really fast and not enough difference to tell unless you are actually racing a P100D.

Couldn't agree more. The AP1 that was in my P85D, was still so much more consistent and relaxed. It's like the "chill modes" of autopilots. In fact, my next P100DL will have AP1.

I think the bigger concern for many with the 90 packs is not necessarily the performance but reports of excess degradation making the extra you pay for a 90 pack over an 85 moot.
I think the degradation is overblown, we have two random 90 packs in our household and they are 1 and 2 miles off the quoted max charge at 100 percent. There may have been isolated incidents of 90 failures but if you are an active reader you also see so many other size battery failures. If shopping for an S85 there are always ones advertised with "new battery" or now with replacement 90 batteries and even several P90 RWD, because it’s a P85 with a 90 battery. Tesla exhausted their 85 battery stock yet the popular belief is that 90’s are bad. In my book with the prices partly fuel by the needless battery worry 99 percent of the time, the flawless AP1 performance and a car with looks and performance so close to a freshly built 100 battery the 90’s are the best deals. Don’t forget every 90 has 8 year unlimited drivetrain warranties and are priced not much more than lower range less powerful 75’s! With a 90 in the unlikely event it fails then you will probably get a 100 upgrade if they run out of 90 batteries like they did with the claimed more reliable 85 batteries.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Xolt
I think the degradation is overblown, we have two random 90 packs in our household and they are 1 and 2 miles off the quoted max charge at 100 percent. There may have been isolated incidents of 90 failures but if you are an active reader you also see so many other size battery failures. If shopping for an S85 there are always ones advertised with "new battery" or now with replacement 90 batteries and even several P90 RWD, because it’s a P85 with a 90 battery. Tesla exhausted their 85 battery stock yet the popular belief is that 90’s are bad. In my book with the prices partly fuel by the needless battery worry 99 percent of the time, the flawless AP1 performance and a car with looks and performance so close to a freshly built 100 battery the 90’s are the best deals. Don’t forget every 90 has 8 year unlimited drivetrain warranties and are priced not much more than lower range less powerful 75’s! With a 90 in the unlikely event it fails then you will probably get a 100 upgrade if they run out of 90 batteries like they did with the claimed more reliable 85 batteries.
That's great that your two 90's are holding up but there are a bunch of reports of the 90's batteries degradation, in fact most 90's reporting now have less range that the 85's and in some cases less than a 75.
90 battery pack degradation

• Informative
Reactions: PhilDavid
That's great that your two 90's are holding up but there are a bunch of reports of the 90's batteries degradation, in fact most 90's reporting now have less range that the 85's and in some cases less than a 75.
90 battery pack degradation
Yeah there are a few people in that thread and I read the one about the guy with the 75 pack but that is a very small sample compared to the number of 90’s that were sold. Tesla sold a lot of 90’s and the only people complaining are ones that lost range so when you say most people reporting that is a very small number. Most people like me have no reason to complain so they remain silent. It’s like saying most people have a deadly disease because of the ones reporting to have one.

• Love
Reactions: Sg911 and Xolt
Looks like someone bought the CPO P100D for $80K. The lowest CPO P100D is now $83K.

Wonder how long until we see pricing in the $70Ks...

Guilty as charged, somebody put the link in this thread and it was too good to pass up, so I snatched it up . Wondering what TSLA will give me for trade in on the P85D? Probably not much.

Did I mention I have a Silver P85D for sale 60k miles all options (minus Luda)? ;)

I'd like to get $45k for it.

To answer your question September is when you'll see them just crest into the high $70k range as all the first large bolus of leases on the P100D return in August.

It's been a trustworthy steed and will be missed. I'm certain the new owner (whomever that may be), will get years of enjoyment out of it, like I have. I have attached the VIN, so that a simple Google search will bring the new owner to the great information resource this site has become.
IMG_3133.JPG

5YJSA1H27EFP62624

Reactions: byeLT4
Well, with their new announcement it looks like prices are going to go back up to the mid-point between the new and old prices. So a fully optioned P100D should be $130k, vs the $120k it is now and $140k it used to be.

That probably makes it so a late 2016 one will be worth ~$86k, so I'll probably just end up getting a P90D.

Guilty as charged, somebody put the link in this thread and it was too good to pass up, so I snatched it up . Wondering what TSLA will give me for trade in on the P85D? Probably not much.

Did I mention I have a Silver P85D for sale 60k miles all options (minus Luda)? ;)

I'd like to get $45k for it.

To answer your question September is when you'll see them just crest into the high $70k range as all the first large bolus of leases on the P100D return in August.

I posted the link. You are welcome :)

I think we will see high 70s for P100Ds within the next two months. We've already seen $80K so we are almost there. AP1 P100Ds are going to be harder to move as more P100D AP2 cars come on the market...

You should post your P85D on this forum ASAP. When you do, mention how someone buying your car can purchase an extended warranty through X-Care - Xcelerate Auto

Reactions: byeLT4