Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 S60D Battery Upgrade to 75D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All. Recently purchased a 2016 Model S60D and upon looking at other threads i see there is a way to upgrade the battery to a 75Kwh. However, all the posts/mentions i am seeing regarding this upgrade are fairly old. I took it recently to a tesla service center near me for a recall issue and the tech told me since it does not appear on my upgrade portion of my tesla app i cannot receive the upgrade. Has anyone done this upgrade recently? Should i escalate my request at the service center?

If I remember correctly some 60 kWh cars were manufactured with the 75 kWh battery then software limited to 60 kWh. When people ‘upgraded’ the battery in these cars the physical battery did not charge, only the software restriction was removed(for a fee, of course). If the service center is saying the ‘upgrade’ is not available it’s most likely your vehicle physically has a 60 kWh battery.

ALL 2016 60Ds are actually 75kwh. All of them.

The upgrade option hasn’t been present in the app in a number of years. A capable service center should still be able to do it. Tell them you want this part number:

BATTERY UPGRADE, 60kWh to 75 kWh, MS(1091845-06-A)

Last I heard the cost is $2250.

• Helpful
Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
Yep, my 2013 S60 had a 60 kW pack. The later generation (2015+?) used a 75 kW pack software limited. You can look at the battery pack as well as it shows the pack size on the label (look low, behind the passenger side front wheel).

From the research i have done ALL Model S60's were built with 75kwh batteries and restricted to 60kwh by the software.
I’m not sure that’s accurate. Tesla manufactured several different pack sizes including a 60 kWh battery for the model S from 2012 to 2016. And with Teslas manufacturing technique of ‘we switch to new parts when we run out of the old part’ it’s hard to know exactly what parts are present on a car without physically looking. 2016 was a particularly busy year for that as a whole host of changes were being implemented. I have a 2016 model X and it’s always a journey at the service center making sure they have the correct part. You probably need to get the model number off of your battery.

Best of luck.

I’m not sure that’s accurate. Tesla manufactured several different pack sizes including a 60 kWh battery for the model S from 2012 to 2016. And with Teslas manufacturing technique of ‘we switch to new parts when we run out of the old part’ it’s hard to know exactly what parts are present on a car without physically looking. 2016 was a particularly busy year for that as a whole host of changes were being implemented. I have a 2016 model X and it’s always a journey at the service center making sure they have the correct part. You probably need to get the model number off of your battery.

Best of luck.
All 2012-2015 60s were true 60 kWh batteries.

All 2016+ 60s were software limited 75 kWh batteries.

It’s that simple.

All 2012-2015 60s were true 60 kWh batteries.

All 2016+ 60s were software limited 75 kWh batteries.

It’s that simple.
Is there any specific verbiage I should use with the service center to make sure I receive the upgrade? I don’t have much confidence in the last tech I spoke with. As far as I’ve researched it’s a simple program update that shouldn’t be an issue to perform. Just haven’t heard of anyone doing it recently.

Is there any specific verbiage I should use with the service center to make sure I receive the upgrade? I don’t have much confidence in the last tech I spoke with. As far as I’ve researched it’s a simple program update that shouldn’t be an issue to perform. Just haven’t heard of anyone doing it recently.
Like I said - just give them the part number above and request the unlock. That should get them going down the right path.

Thanks again UCMNDD. I i updated my service request with the part number yesterday and this morning someone from Tesla contacted me letting my know they can do the upgrade through an over the air update. No need to even visit the service center. Cost is $2250 plus tax and adds 20-25% of battery. Im leaning towards pulling the trigger and hoping the battery range improves as much as they have promised.

Reactions: ucmndd
Thanks again UCMNDD. I i updated my service request with the part number yesterday and this morning someone from Tesla contacted me letting my know they can do the upgrade through an over the air update. No need to even visit the service center. Cost is $2250 plus tax and adds 20-25% of battery. Im leaning towards pulling the trigger and hoping the battery range improves as much as they have promised.
Glad you got them on the right track. 👍🏻

Just a word of advice to temper your range expectations. When brand new the 60D had 218 miles of range and the 75D had 259 - so an increase of about 15%, not 20-25%.

So whatever your car charges to at 100% right now plus ~15% is what you should be expecting for your money.

Glad you got them on the right track. 👍🏻

Just a word of advice to temper your range expectations. When brand new the 60D had 218 miles of range and the 75D had 259 - so an increase of about 15%, not 20-25%.

So whatever your car charges to at 100% right now plus ~15% is what you should be expecting for your money.
yes i figured as much. im getting 200 miles on a full charge. if i can get to 240 miles on a full charge and the added performance i think its worth the money. But im open to others opinions

Just catching this thread a bit late to the conversation:) I have a 2016 S, originally bought her with the 60 KW battery, waited 4-5 yrs and then opened up to 75. went from 189 mi to 240 mi. Still have 220 mi with her and very happy I opened the battery. It was very challenging to find a service ctr that understood the battery was a 75 locked at 60, they kept telling me it was only a 60. When I showed them the paperwork from my original order, they scratched their heads...LOL after about a year of trying I finally found a service ctr that was familiar and was able to do it.

Reactions: Goldswing