Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 taxes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I cannot say one way or another about TurboTax. I use the souped-up, professional version for my practice. I have received three updates since the original 2016 software was available in mid-November. The IRS has not signed off yet on any forms for 2016. That much I do know. And you cannot file until around Jan. 16. Cash refunds are delayed until mid February, even for those early birds who file on the first possible day. No real hurry if some of your payments are through withholding.

I fail to understand why this is an issue. Tesla is nowhere near the 200,000 threshold before phase-out. So, you either get the lesser of your actual income tax liability or $7,500. You can probably kiss the EVSE credit goodbye. Unless your personal return is ultra complex with many AMT adjustments and other unusual situations, just go off last year's return.

I don't know about TurboTax, but I would just think you could use the 2015 version and use 2016 data. The inflationary adjustments and tax tables/rates will be insignificant. But you would have a very good idea.