Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 X Falcon Wings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone! Please forgive me if this question has been answered, but I didn't see it in my searches on the forum. I own a Model 3 and am looking at a pre-owned 2016 X. I've heard of Falcon Wing issues in the early 2016 builds. Do you know if those were corrected with software updates or if it was a hardware problem?
Anything else to be aware of in a 2016 model?
Thanks!
Travis

I'm curious about this too. I hear downers on the falcon wings doors as a failure, but I don't read a lot of current failures. It seems everything has been fixed and people can't let go of the initial issues. Haven't they been proven to be pretty reliable at this point? Scars to deep and haven't healed or what? I'm not a MX owner, but am hoping to be one soon.

Last edited:
Newer FWD's (no 2016's at least) have a sensor inside the door so it won't close on you. Also there is a newer rocker switch on the B pillar that replaces the older pull-tab switch. I've had the passenger side outer sensor replaced once because it was constantly seeing nonexistent objects, preventing it (and the front passenger door) from opening a useful amount. Especially when the sun is hitting that door. That improved but didn't fix the problem. I haven't heard any complaints of that for about a year, so I'll ask for a replacement again. Most other problems have been uncommon (poor seals is one) or fixed after delivery (alignment). Something to check before buying, but not a big problem long-term.

Nice! A fellow March 2016 owner! Is your VIN in the 1500's too? I've noticed we have surprisingly few issues compared to some of the 2017 and 2018 cars from what I've seen on the forums and heard from other Model X owners.

My 90D VIN is in 2000's and with free active spoiler. My delivery date was 3/31 and the same date I reserved a M3.
It is going to be 3 years old soon and the car has performed to my satisfaction. That is from the owner of MS/MX/P3D. :)

Reactions: commasign
Both my FWDs (March 2016 build) have recently started making a clunking sound when nearly open. My doors have probably been operated less than 100 times so they are not worn out by any stroke of the imagination.

I have a service appointment next week so I will see what the SC thinks is causing the clunk.

Got my X back from the SC. Below is the note of work done. They could not reproduce the phantom obstruction issue, so will need another appointment after I date and time stamp it. Of course it happened in the parking lot after they closed.

Adjusted falcon wing door moldings, applied touch up paint to door jamb where paint was rubbed off, applied clear film to prevent happening again. Correction: Door Assembly - Rear - LH - Alignment 3 4 5 Correction: Door Assembly - Rear - RH - Alignment