Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Model 3 Reliability

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine hasn’t been issue free - it had a charge port door fail, some AC smell going on, and a few small rattles and some wind noise. Tesla also proactively replaced a suspension part and my window regulators during my first annual service. The AC smell has been the most annoying - the latest firmware apparently has a fix according to the service center, but the smell lingers, so I will have to bring it back in again at some point for a more in-depth treatment. I had the same problem with my S (and every loaner I had), it appears to be something Tesla hasn’t quite figured out for the non-biohazard filter cars.

Uh oh... the shorts gonna pick up your post and we'll be seeing "Tesla Can't Make Profit Because of Poor Quality Mold Infested Cars" stories.

Nearing 80,000 miles on the S in 3 years. No repairs, and even better, NO scheduled maintenance. In six years of owning Tesla I have not been in for service. There is none. Tell me how that works on a BMW.
You’re really on your first drive unit and door handles on a 2012 Model S with 80k miles?
Your experience is certainly not average.
Seriously. That’s one reliable S.

My 2015 Model S with 74,000 miles has had a new drive unit, an MCU, and three door handles. And two days ago it stopped supercharging, which now suggests a dead charger.
I was curious about roblab but he seems to have left out some details.

Per What is estimated for maintenance after warranty is over?, he had 3 door handles replaced and a bent frunk latch..

Hello Everyone! I'm new here! Ordering a 60d Model S and I have some ?'s - cracked windshield.

From Model s at 40,000 Miles
I have about 35,000 miles on my car. It was one of the first 100, so it had a few adjustments and quality issues at first. Everything was repaired and replaced and adjusted to suite me for free whenever I brought in the car (and is still). The frunk latch got bent and had to be replaced. The door handles gave a little problem, but they have all been replaced and have worked well for over a year. A door was sagging, but they "re-torqued" the door bolts (and I think moved things a bit) and it lines up now. I have gotten new mats. There have been pages of factory checks and upgrades, and more "Over the Air" upgrades than I can count.

It's still the best car out there, ahead of the others by about 10 to 20 years. It is so reliable and trustworthy that we sold out Prius a couple weeks ago 'cause we never drove it. Tesla is our only car now.

I used to take it in about once a month. Haven't had to for a long time now. Currently I have the tire monitor issue, where the TPMS keeps telling me I need to check my tires NOW! every time I drive it. I know they have a fix and I am planning to get it done when the Center Console is installed. No big deal.
There were some other issues like with a door latch at Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues and the charge port at Mobile Connector Woes. And something was done at Revision F Battery Pack? to make the balloon squeal go away.

The bolded part isn't true given True Cost of Ownership and what I pointed to above.