Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Model S Supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am about to buy a used Model S. It was delivered on 8-April-2017 (just before the 15-April-2017 deadline). Because of this, Tesla initially confirmed that the Lifetime Supercharging would carry over to me as the new owner. However, when Tesla later checked the VIN for the car, they confirmed the 8-April delivery date but said the Lifetime Supercharging would not transfer! Anyone experienced the same issue; is there a way to get Tesla to honour the feature transfer?

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
There are a couple of factors that you need to consider.

There are two key criterial that must be satisfied for the car to have been originally sold with transferrable supercharging. The car also needed to be ordered by Jan 15, 2017 as well as the delivery date requirement. Unless you are able to determine via the original owner when the car was first ordered, it's impossible to say if what Tesla is telling you is correct or not.

The other factor is whether the car has ever gone back to Tesla at any time. If you are not buying directly from the first owner, then that can also be quite hard to confirm.

There are a couple of factors that you need to consider.

There are two key criterial that must be satisfied for the car to have been originally sold with transferrable supercharging. The car also needed to be ordered by Jan 15, 2017 as well as the delivery date requirement. Unless you are able to determine via the original owner when the car was first ordered, it's impossible to say if what Tesla is telling you is correct or not.

The other factor is whether the car has ever gone back to Tesla at any time. If you are not buying directly from the first owner, then that can also be quite hard to confirm.
Okay, thanks PCMc. I can't tell what the original order date was, as the owner does not have this documentation. If I understand what you're saying, then, given Tesla stance on non-transferring supercharging with this particular Model S, the vehicle order would have been put in after the 15-Jan-2017 deadline.

If this is the case, that's crumby! Whatever the order date is, it must be very close to the deadline if delivery happened before its' deadline. Do you think Tesla would be open to an exception if I argued for it?

Okay, thanks PCMc. I can't tell what the original order date was, as the owner does not have this documentation. If I understand what you're saying, then, given Tesla stance on non-transferring supercharging with this particular Model S, the vehicle order would have been put in after the 15-Jan-2017 deadline.

If this is the case, that's crumby! Whatever the order date is, it must be very close to the deadline if delivery happened before its' deadline. Do you think Tesla would be open to an exception if I argued for it?
Factor #2 wouldn't apply in this case; it never went back to Tesla after being purchased new.

You cannot necessarily associate order date with delivery date. Tesla had a habit in that period of building cars early in the quarter for overseas or areas that took longer shipping time and then late in the quarter for cars nearer to Fremont plant. Also, people had the opportunity to intentionally order and delay delivery for a period. That means you could have a car ordered on Jan 14, 2017 and one ordered March 1, 2017 and both delivered at the same time.

I also doubt you will get Tesla to budge. The Jan 15 order deadline was actually an extension of what was originally a Dec 31 order deadline. There was such a huge rush to order at the last minute that Tesla's servers couldn't handle it, so they ended up extending for a couple weeks. I expect given that extension they would draw a hard line on further relaxation, but that's just my opinion.

I am about to buy a used Model S. It was delivered on 8-April-2017 (just before the 15-April-2017 deadline). Because of this, Tesla initially confirmed that the Lifetime Supercharging would carry over to me as the new owner. However, when Tesla later checked the VIN for the car, they confirmed the 8-April delivery date but said the Lifetime Supercharging would not transfer! Anyone experienced the same issue; is there a way to get Tesla to honour the feature transfer?
You can ask the original owner for the password of this Tesla account.
After buying the car, change the associated email address to your own.
That way, Tesla will never know, the car has changed ownership.

Reactions: dbldwn02
Get the seller to pull the option codes for the car. AFAIK the right-click-on-image technique described here still works. Anything other than SC01 will definitely not transfer. SC01 may, or may not ... in this case I suspect not, unless you can prove a pre-1/15 order date.

Good luck - still a fantastic car with or without FUSC

Get the seller to pull the option codes for the car. AFAIK the right-click-on-image technique described here still works. Anything other than SC01 will definitely not transfer. SC01 may, or may not ... in this case I suspect not, unless you can prove a pre-1/15 order date.

Actually SC01 means that Supercharging is transferable...however the vehicle must never have been transferred to Tesla under any condition. I own a Model X that has SC01 (as the original owner), so whoever I sells to will get Supercharging for Life for free. My Model S has has SC04 which give just me (the first owner) free unlimited Supercharging, but once the vehicle changes hand that perk is lost.

The key is to purchase a vehicle from a private party (person), and have them confirm which SC option code they have.

Unfortunately, the API seems to not be reporting the actual option codes so this method no long works. Instead the API appears to now just report a generic set of Model 3 option codes. That's what I find with my car which is a mid 2016 build Model S which I purchased new and has unlimited free, transferable supercharging. Tesla also has changed how they report the free supercharging in your on-line owner account. There was a time where mine would clearly state transferrable but now simply states Free Unlimited Supercharging. Result is I know of no reliable way to confirm other than to be able to confirm with the original purchaser and document the full ownership history of the car over time.

Just one thing to consider - how much will you actually use supercharging? Do you have a home charger?

My P90D has free supercharging, and I use it maybe once every other month...mostly, I charge in my garage. Maybe you're in a different situation, but just consider the opportunity cost before potentially changing your decision on the car.

Thanks all, for your thoughts and insight. I purchase the car anyways, and have been happy. I've used a supercharger twice now - I haven't been charged, but the then the ownership transfer is still in process (as far as Tesla goes). I imagine I will once the transfer is finalized. My code is SC05.

Can I jump in here and ask a similar question? I bought a 2016 Model S recently, specifically that year because of unlimited free supercharging for the life of the car, tied to the VIN, as I understand the sales verbiage, give or take. I understand this changed in 2017, reverting to only for the initial owner. Given that distinction, how can they delete that feature that was sold with all 2016 models now? (mine apparently was taken away). Isn't that a basic breach of contract? Or false advertisement? I had to double check I didn't type mrdekop's message directly above mine, maybe in my sleep or something, because it's my exact same situation, same number supercharges at no cost, etc. :)

Can I jump in here and ask a similar question? I bought a 2016 Model S recently, specifically that year because of unlimited free supercharging for the life of the car, tied to the VIN, as I understand the sales verbiage, give or take. I understand this changed in 2017, reverting to only for the initial owner. Given that distinction, how can they delete that feature that was sold with all 2016 models now? (mine apparently was taken away). Isn't that a basic breach of contract? Or false advertisement? I had to double check I didn't type mrdekop's message directly above mine, maybe in my sleep or something, because it's my exact same situation, same number supercharges at no cost, etc. :)
There's a bajillion threads on this - but basically, if your car has passed through Tesla's ownership at any point since I-forget-what-date in (I think) late 2019 - eg as a trade-in - they will have removed the free supercharging. Opinions differ on the legal and moral correctness of this. There are various other nuances around cars that pass through auctions, third party dealers etc - again, the search is your friend.

Well, that's why I asked. Mine was removed, and Tesla never had it back in their possession. I see no reason whatsoever the feature should have been separated from the VIN, if it was indeed sold that way in the first place. I spoke with my attorney, and I'm seriously considering bringing lawsuit. Especially since my attorney is basically free. We have here in Pennsylvania a very strong consumer protection law just for cases like this. So far, it seems like it's a slam dunk. Attorney's fees, and treble damages. Musk said himself these cars are good for possibly a million miles before scrap. Put that in your calculator, Elon. So sick of these manufacturers shoving this stuff up our keester. Don't even get me started with Mercedes Benz, and how they're effing us Smart Fortwo EV owners, with a software "feature" that basically trashed our $20k battery due to errant coding, no fault of our own, and offering neither repair nor refund, nor even access to repair parts.

Final note: I purchased the MS 2017 having the code SC05. Initially (aka about a week) I wasn't charged for my supercharging sessions, but was afterwards. I figure Tesla was triggered to remove free supercharging once I eventually set up the Tesla app, and entered the details of my new acquisition. Presumably the seller would have updated his account, dis-associating from the car he sold. Regardless of the benefit loss, I'm still happy with the buy.