Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging for “lifetime of car” transfers under the current FSD & Supercharging transfer to new cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

azred

Apr 12, 2016
Chandler, AZ
As long-time S owners are aware, lifetime Supercharging passes with 2016 and older cars (plus a few early 2017 cars) for the car’s lifetime. Of course, after that time there have been brief periods when lifetime supercharging was attached to new cars but only could be passed to the second owner. Does anyone know if my 12/2016 S with “lifetime of the car” Supercharging would pass to a new car if I bought one before March 31? Or would it convert to the lesser rule of transferring to just a second owner but not to any subsequent owners?

I realize this is a question any Tesla sales rep should be able to answer. “Should” is the key word😀

I realize this is a question any Tesla sales rep should be able to answer.

Don't bet on that. Most Tesla sales reps would have no idea what you're talking about nor know how to correctly answer your question.

You might be better of going to a service center and asking them what option code you have -- SC01, SC04, SC05, SC06 -- they all mean something different.

I got an email a couple of days ago from Tesla that you can transfer Full Self Driving AND Unlimited Free Supercharging to a new Tesla by April 30, 2024, even if you don't "trade-in" your old Tesla in the deal. I currently have a 2020 with UFS that will not transfer to another owner, but I can transfer it now if I buy a new one. There was an earlier promotion as well for UFS transfer. Why don't you see if this applies to you? Also, this means that any Tesla with UFS may not actually have it after you buy it, even in a private transaction or a pre-2016 Tesla.

OP's question is if the new car with the transferred FUSC would transfer to the next owner of the car. The answer is no..
Tesla clearly states that the car that receives FUSC will have FUSC for that owner only. Essentially, the SC01 code is changed to SC05... which helps Tesla for sure

OP's question is if the new car with the transferred FUSC would transfer to the next owner of the car. The answer is no..
Tesla clearly states that the car that receives FUSC will have FUSC for that owner only. Essentially, the SC01 code is changed to SC05... which helps Tesla for sure
Where did you find that Tesla statement? I’ve been looking but haven’t found it yet.

I have a Nov 2016 Model S P100D Ludicrous with SC01 and FSD. I have been thinking about transferring to a new Model X Plaid. However, it appears SC01 becomes SC05 if you read the contract language. My advisor had told me that I would keep my SC01 status, but the contract says the UNSC will stay with the current owner.

See agreement document on post #34

Pt. #4 on the UNSC agreement

if you don't plan to EVER sell the car, really doesn't matter if it's SC01 or SC05... Original owners with 2012-2106 vehicles strike me as folks that don't sell their cars until they die, and these cars don't die (well, the original 85 batteries clearly do die)
Actually I do sell my cars but since I pay cash for them my sales aren’t tied to leases and loans and often extend for more than 5 years but generally less than 10. For example I took the FSD transfer offer last Summer for my 2/2018 Model 3 and got a new Y. Since my 12/2016 S is now 7 years old, I am starting to think about the next car and obviously the FSD and Supercharging transfer would be nice.

I did think Supercharging would probably be limited to one transfer as a couple of people stated in this thread and frankly thought I’d get a more definitive answer here than from one of the 25 year old Tesla employees. Now I know. You are correct that SC01 v. SC05 isn’t a huge deal for me, especially since I mostly charge at home. But it is also true that Supercharging is a bigger thing than when I bought the car 7 1/2 years ago and Supercharging prices have really spiked upward. So there is at least some value in the termination of “life of the car” Supercharging to consider as a factor as I decide whether to bite on the offer.

The fact the FSD transfer offer has happened twice in a year makes me think that demand lever will be pulled again within the next year or two when I might be looking harder at selling — and an FSD transfer obviously matters much more than the Supercharging. Of course when I bought FSD for both cars during the Spring 2019 sale, I thought that “cheap price” would be brought back in spite of Musk saying it wouldn’t — and yet five years later, it has not been repeated.

Last edited:
I think I was scammed out of the FUSC transfer after purchasing a new 2023 Model X.

In 2017 I purchased a new Model X with FUSC. 5 days after purchasing a 2023 Model X last month I noticed a cost for Supercharging for the first time in 7 years of owning a Tesla.
Last October, I literally *educated* a sales person about Tesla's option to transfer FUSC (Full Unlimited SuperCharging).
She was certain I was incorrect, until I revealed the marketing Email on my phone (seen below with my added caveat :mad: ⬇️).

It was nearly impossible to reach an actual employee by phone or Email after I'd discovered the charge, (the website chat advisors ultimately connected me with a live person) but despite signing & submitting a Supercharging Transfer Agreement 3-months previous, I was later told by the Tesla employee 5 days after purchasing the Model X that the small print of the document I signed it read, "In order to be eligible for this program, you must: Be the legal and registered owner of a Tesla vehicle that currently has free, unlimited Supercharging at the time of delivery of your new Tesla vehicle."

Wish I been told this when I down payment. I would've kept my 2017 Model X instead of selling it myself.
To date no one has answered my re-replies, on the App, Email or telephone message ... at all.
Going back to the dealership seems like the last option ... Tesla is very good at ignoring ppl.

Does anyone have experience or recommendations (besides getting a lawyer involved) to obtain what I have a signed document promising me?

Attachments

• IMG_8064.jpg
    IMG_8064.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 42
I think I was scammed out of the FUSC transfer after purchasing a new 2023 Model X.

In 2017 I purchased a new Model X with FUSC. 5 days after purchasing a 2023 Model X last month I noticed a cost for Supercharging for the first time in 7 years of owning a Tesla.
Last October, I literally *educated* a sales person about Tesla's option to transfer FUSC (Full Unlimited SuperCharging).
She was certain I was incorrect, until I revealed the marketing Email on my phone (seen below with my added caveat :mad: ⬇️).

It was nearly impossible to reach an actual employee by phone or Email after I'd discovered the charge, (the website chat advisors ultimately connected me with a live person) but despite signing & submitting a Supercharging Transfer Agreement 3-months previous, I was later told by the Tesla employee 5 days after purchasing the Model X that the small print of the document I signed it read, "In order to be eligible for this program, you must: Be the legal and registered owner of a Tesla vehicle that currently has free, unlimited Supercharging at the time of delivery of your new Tesla vehicle."

Wish I been told this when I down payment. I would've kept my 2017 Model X instead of selling it myself.
To date no one has answered my re-replies, on the App, Email or telephone message ... at all.
Going back to the dealership seems like the last option ... Tesla is very good at ignoring ppl.

Does anyone have experience or recommendations (besides getting a lawyer involved) to obtain what I have a signed document promising me?

There are 2 different promotions before the New Year and the current one.

I assumed you belong to the 2023 promotion. Thus, did you fulfill all of its terms and conditions?

There are 2 different promotions before the New Year and the current one.

I assumed you belong to the 2023 promotion. Thus, did you fulfill all of its terms and conditions?
Your assumption is correct. I honestly didn't know I had not fulfilled all of the terms and conditions b/c I honestly didn't read the entire 14 step Supercharging Transfer Agreement form I was asked to sign. It was one of many forms that I signed before taking delivery. No one at the Tesla dealership mentioned my needing to keep the vehicle until taking delivery of my 2023 Model X nearly 2 month later. After I signed the agreement, Antonio Williams (the 3rd sales person I dealt with) thanked me and asked that I keep an eye out for the delivery Email.
The rest of the story I've written above ...

Your assumption is correct. I honestly didn't know I had not fulfilled all of the terms and conditions b/c I honestly didn't read the entire 14 step Supercharging Transfer Agreement form I was asked to sign. It was one of many forms that I signed before taking delivery. No one at the Tesla dealership mentioned my needing to keep the vehicle until taking delivery of my 2023 Model X nearly 2 month later. After I signed the agreement, Antonio Williams (the 3rd sales person I dealt with) thanked me and asked that I keep an eye out for the delivery Email.
The rest of the story I've written above ...
Here are the Terms and Conditions from the website for last year:

DsJQiWf.jpg

It could be interpreted that at the time of the Supercharging transfer at the delivery, you must still own the current Free Supercharging, and the VIN was not sold to someone else then.

I wish you would have started a new thread. The thread was about “lifetime of the car” Supercharging offered until the first month or two of 2017 on all Teslas with Supercharging capability — and whether that feature is cut off by the latest transfer offer. In addition to my question being answered here, there will be others in the future interested in that same question as thousands of owners will be affected if they bite on this or similar Supercharging transfer offers in the future. And the thread has now been hijacked for an issue that affects only you and has nothing to do with the thread topic.

Last edited:

Your new Model X will still have the free Supercharging when it arrives or did you lose that as well?

I wish you would have started a new thread. The thread was about “lifetime of the car” Supercharging offered until the first month or two of 2017 on all Teslas with Supercharging capability — and whether that feature is cut off by the latest transfer offer. In addition to my question being answered here, there will be others in the future interested in that same question as thousands of owners will be affected if they bite on this or similar Supercharging transfer offers in the future. And the thread has now been hijacked for an issue that affects only you and has nothing to do with the thread topic.
My apologies @azred - wasn't my intention to hijack your thread ...

I got an email a couple of days ago from Tesla that you can transfer Full Self Driving AND Unlimited Free Supercharging to a new Tesla by April 30, 2024, even if you don't "trade-in" your old Tesla in the deal. I currently have a 2020 with UFS that will not transfer to another owner, but I can transfer it now if I buy a new one. There was an earlier promotion as well for UFS transfer. Why don't you see if this applies to you? Also, this means that any Tesla with UFS may not actually have it after you buy it, even in a private transaction or a pre-2016 Tesla.