Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Model X Yoke Upgrade by Hannshow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious about the new yoke in the upcoming Model S and Model X, I decided to take a leap of faith and purchase the Hannshow aftermarket yoke: 2012-2020 Model S/X Yoke Style Carbon Fiber Steering Wheel - Intelligentized Auto Parts | Hansshow

The quality of this item is superb. I chose the Nappa black leather option with the matte carbon highlights (the item is configurable). Hansshow support was exceptional helpful and patient with me as I hesitated installing it. Whilst it's a straightforward installation, you have to deal with handling the airbag module - swapping it from your original steering wheel to the Hansshow yoke. For piece of mind, I disconnected the positive terminal from the 12V battery, which requires removing the frunk tub to access the 12V battery. This involved simply removing the plastic covers around the frunk, removing the frunk liner by unclipping the frunk lights and unscrewing the various bolts that hold the frunk tub in place. This then gives you access to the 12V battery to disconnect the positive terminal wire. Removing the air bag module was simple enough, held in place with two hex screws behind the steering wheel (you reuse in the yoke). The airbag module is tightly fit into the original steering wheel and I was pleasantly surprised it was a tight fit in the Hansshow yoke too. My configuration of the yoke also included the heating element. Removing the centre 10mm hex bolt to remove the original steering wheel did require a considerably long lever - the longer the better as this nut was very tightly wound.

Total time to swap over to the yoke took just over an hour and the end result is shown in the image below. I'm very pleased with the result and as I said, the quality of the Hansshow yoke. If you are interested in doing the same, you can use the discount code leomx for 25% discount on the yoke and several other Hansshow Tesla products. Happy to answer any questions and provide assistance based on my experience.

PXL_20220220_062242991.jpg

Total time to swap over to the yoke took just over an hour and the end result is shown in the image below. I'm very pleased with the result and as I said, the quality of the Hansshow yoke. If you are interested in doing the same, you can use the discount code leomx for 25% discount on the yoke and several other Hansshow Tesla products. Happy to answer any questions and provide assistance based on my experience.
Great job.

FYI, there is a YT video on replacing it with some good tips. Supposedly it is very safe to remove the airbag as it would only go off if other conditions are meet (ie. it detected an impact). I do understand your hesitation tho!

Reactions: AnzacValentine
Great job.

FYI, there is a YT video on replacing it with some good tips. Supposedly it is very safe to remove the airbag as it would only go off if other conditions are meet (ie. it detected an impact). I do understand your hesitation tho!

I trawled the internet to see if there was a definitive position on whether the battery should be disconnected or not, but debate was divided. I also noted a video from T-Sportline that shows how to replace a Tesla steering wheel and there was no mention of disconnecting the battery. I did find however that powering off the vehicle, these days for me, doesn't remain powered off. It powers off for a few minutes then the vehicle powers on automatically. The manual states that to power the vehicle back on, you press the brake pedal. That's not what I experience with my vehicle these days.

Curious about the new yoke in the upcoming Model S and Model X, I decided to take a leap of faith and purchase the Hannshow aftermarket yoke: 2012-2020 Model S/X Yoke Style Carbon Fiber Steering Wheel - Intelligentized Auto Parts | Hansshow

The quality of this item is superb. I chose the Nappa black leather option with the matte carbon highlights (the item is configurable). Hansshow support was exceptional helpful and patient with me as I hesitated installing it. Whilst it's a straightforward installation, you have to deal with handling the airbag module - swapping it from your original steering wheel to the Hansshow yoke. For piece of mind, I disconnected the positive terminal from the 12V battery, which requires removing the frunk tub to access the 12V battery. This involved simply removing the plastic covers around the frunk, removing the frunk liner by unclipping the frunk lights and unscrewing the various bolts that hold the frunk tub in place. This then gives you access to the 12V battery to disconnect the positive terminal wire. Removing the air bag module was simple enough, held in place with two hex screws behind the steering wheel (you reuse in the yoke). The airbag module is tightly fit into the original steering wheel and I was pleasantly surprised it was a tight fit in the Hansshow yoke too. My configuration of the yoke also included the heating element. Removing the centre 10mm hex bolt to remove the original steering wheel did require a considerably long lever - the longer the better as this nut was very tightly wound.

View attachment 772301
Hot!!!!!