Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 model 3 change brake fluid flush

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all.
I think it is time to flush the brake fluid. Do you think is safe to take it to a non-tesla dealership to do it?

Does anyone know the price different? Doing tesla service centre?

Can tesla mobile service do the brake service flush?

Thanks

Have an appointment next week at 25K for break system check at Tesla Service. Fortunately, it's convenient. Having tires rotated and HEPA filter changed as well. Don't know if mobile service can accomplish that. Brake fluid check and brake check are among the few maintenance chores recommended. Just Do It as the Nikes say.

Upvote 0
I'm 99% sure you can get the system flushed at any garage that is comfortable lifting a Tesla. I don't think there are any brake system components that significantly dissimilar to other "traditional" cars. I was quoted $150ish for a flush by a local performance-oriented garage, you can compare that to whatever Tesla charges.

Upvote 0
only flush brake fluid *IF* it does need to be flushed because it has drawn moisture. there is no point in flushing perfectly fine brake fluid because you have hit a certain mileage or age. From experience with ICE cars ... your brake fluid should be good for at least 3-4 yrs (if not longer, my F150 brake fluid was still fine 4+ yrs later).

Reactions: rpiotro
Upvote 0
I tested my late 2018 Model 3 brake fluid using a test strip earlier this year and it showed to be still good. Was planning on doing the brake fluid flush myself. Will check it again end of this year.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
Upvote 0
I think it is time to flush the brake fluid. Do you think is safe to take it to a non-tesla dealership to do it?

Yes, definitely safe.
I would find a reputable independent shop (check with local SCCA club for a recommendation), not a dealership, for this job.
Or DIY this, if you like working on cars!

I would also buy quality DOT4 break fluid for the job, not the carap DOT3 hamster piss that Tesla puts into our brake lines.

Does anyone know the price different? Doing tesla service centre?

Prices are very location-dependent. Labor costs vary widely throughout the US. Where in TX are you?
It's ~1-1.5 hour job, including putting car on the lift and taking wheels off.

Can tesla mobile service do the brake service flush?

Tesla is biased towards "testing" the fluid and telling you that you don't need to do anything more while you are within the warranty period.

HTH,
a

Upvote 0
Yes, definitely safe.
I would find a reputable independent shop (check with local SCCA club for a recommendation), not a dealership, for this job.
Or DIY this, if you like working on cars!

I would also buy quality DOT4 break fluid for the job, not the carap DOT3 hamster piss that Tesla puts into our brake lines.

Prices are very location-dependent. Labor costs vary widely throughout the US. Where in TX are you?
It's ~1-1.5 hour job, including putting car on the lift and taking wheels off.

Tesla is biased towards "testing" the fluid and telling you that you don't need to do anything more while you are within the warranty period.

HTH,
a
I have read DOT 3 absorbs less water over time and as such it is recommended for the Model 3. DOT will boil at a higher temperature which is normally good but since it absorbs more water over time I see where it will cause more issues over time. And typically with regen our fluid does not get as warm as typical.

Upvote 0
True! Big difference if you live in a gulf coast state VS say Arizona.
any modern brake system is pretty well sealed - moisture intrusion shouldn't be an issue. the main reason to flush brake fluid is that over time (especially if you run the brakes hot and get the fluid very hot) is the deterioration of the anti corrosive add-ons in the brake fluid. as they deteriorate you will slowly get some corrosion in the copper coated brake lines (inside, outside the lines are steel) and that's what the brake fluid test strip is looking for (dissolved copper). obviously if you have a higher than normal moisture content in the fluid - the lines will corrode as well and the test strip catch it early on.

test it once/ twice a year and don't worry about it. My wife's 2 yr old Mazda tests the same as my 3.5 yr old Model 3. There's no upside in replacing a perfectly fine brake fluid and DOT 4 is overkill for any EV (unless you go on the track and ride your brakes hard). DOT 4 also draws more moisture so you'll be replacing more frequently.

Upvote 0
I have read DOT 3 absorbs less water over time and as such it is recommended for the Model 3.

That is not accurate. Sources?
Brake fluid dry / web boiling temperatures vary a LOT based on the quality of brake fluid within DOT 3 / 4 families.
While average DOT 4 brake fluid will have higher wet boiling temp rating (vs. DOT 3), even those ratings can very by as much as a factor of two (2) within DOT 4 fluid lineup. Shop wisely, and don't just grab a bottle of brake fluid that is gone on sale!

DOT will boil at a higher temperature which is normally good but since it absorbs more water over time I see where it will cause more issues over time.

I've seen zero evidence (after 30+ years of tracking cars and changing brake fluids) that higher quality brake fluids are more hygroscopic than cheap ones.
What are you sources?

And typically with regen our fluid does not get as warm as typical.

Brake fluid does not normally get warm in any car, unless you are are on track, or driving over hills, or are braking in an emergency.
If neither one of the above conditions apply to you - you have nothing to worry about Ever.
However, if you ever want to rely on your brakes in an emergency - the choice is obvious - use the best brake fluid you can buy.
Same goes for the tires!

any modern brake system is pretty well sealed - moisture intrusion shouldn't be an issue.

Brake fluid is hygroscopic, it draws moisture from the air though microscopic pores in your hydraulic lines as well as the vented brake fluid fill canister.
The same physics applies to 100% of the vehicles on the road. EV propulsion has no impact on the outcome.

Just get a brake fluid test strip. Test your brake system every 6 months after passing 2-3 years.

Do yourself a favor, and read the instructions for the test strips to see what exactly they are testing for.
Most cheap-o test strips don't test for moisture, but rather the presence of copper in the fluid. Copper is a proxy for corrosion that’s already occurred in the metal brake lines and other brake parts from moisture.

To reach his own - friction braking is entirely optional.
Impact braking always remains an option!

YMMV,
a

Upvote 0
That is not accurate. Sources?
Brake fluid dry / web boiling temperatures vary a LOT based on the quality of brake fluid within DOT 3 / 4 families.
While average DOT 4 brake fluid will have higher wet boiling temp rating (vs. DOT 3), even those ratings can very by as much as a factor of two (2) within DOT 4 fluid lineup. Shop wisely, and don't just grab a bottle of brake fluid that is gone on sale!

I've seen zero evidence (after 30+ years of tracking cars and changing brake fluids) that higher quality brake fluids are more hygroscopic than cheap ones.
What are you sources?

Brake fluid does not normally get warm in any car, unless you are are on track, or driving over hills, or are braking in an emergency.
If neither one of the above conditions apply to you - you have nothing to worry about Ever.
However, if you ever want to rely on your brakes in an emergency - the choice is obvious - use the best brake fluid you can buy.
Same goes for the tires!

Brake fluid is hygroscopic, it draws moisture from the air though microscopic pores in your hydraulic lines as well as the vented brake fluid fill canister.
The same physics applies to 100% of the vehicles on the road. EV propulsion has no impact on the outcome.

Do yourself a favor, and read the instructions for the test strips to see what exactly they are testing for.
Most cheap-o test strips don't test for moisture, but rather the presence of copper in the fluid. Copper is a proxy for corrosion that’s already occurred in the metal brake lines and other brake parts from moisture.

YMMV,
a

DOT 4 absorbs moisture faster than DOT 3 brake fluids and should be changed more regularly. DOT 4 fluid typically has 50 to 65% glycol ether base with 20-30 % Borate Ester which helps resist the boiling of the fluid, meaning you have 3.7% moisture in your DOT 3 fluid the fluid will boil at roughly 290°F. The same amount of moisture in your DOT 4 Brake Fluid will boil at around 330°F. The DOT 4 fluid will absorb that 3.7% water amount 20% faster than a DOT 3 Fluid.

Reactions: Arthur31
Upvote 0

YMMV,
a

and testing brake fluid for moisture is different? if your brake fluid tests positive for moisture content *above normal* ... you likely will also test positive for copper as the brake lines have already experienced some very minor form of corrosion due to the higher water content than normal in the fluid....

also - you'd have to apply brakes repeatedly for a longer time (going downhill in an ICE vehicle for e.g.) to experience fading brakes due to boiling brake fluid. One hard emergency brake won't do it.

Reactions: rpiotro
Upvote 0