Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Model 3 LR RWD with only 64KWh battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a similar gripe with my P3D+. Not quite as bad as this but even starting off at 100% and pulling in at “1%” my max used hasn’t even touched 70kWh.

OTOH, It will go all the way up to “299mi” at full charge.

I think you have a 2020 P3D+.

Was that 100% to 1% in one continuous drive? If not, you could lose significant energy when the car sits.

You would expect to see (assuming you have 77.6kWh = 260Wh/rmi*299rmi; you may have more):

77.6kWh*0.955 = 74.1kWh (buffer is 4.5%, below 0%)
You use 0.99 of that:
0.99*74.1kWh=73.4kWh
The trip meter always shows a 1-2% loss:
0.98*73.4kWh = 71.9kWh

So the max I would expect you would see on the trip meter would be about 72-73kWh, for a brand new car. You saw less than 70kWh, which implies to me that the car must have spent some time sitting and losing energy. Could also be some error on the % used - rated miles would give better accuracy.

However, this method of tracking capacity is completely different from what the OP was observing. It is definitely well worth doing and capturing the data though - it is one of the only ways to capture degradation over time - you can always go back to your pictures and see how much energy you were able to pull out of your new battery, and compare.

I have a 2018 Model 3 LR RWD. It gets only around 270 miles when I charge it up to 100%. When I take the listed effective range in the Energy graph, multiply it with the Wh/mi value and then divide it by the charge percent of the battery I always get to a battery of 64KWh.
Last night I charged it from 2% to 99% and according to TeslaFi and my smart power meter it used 64KWh.
With the new firmware 2020.4.1 this seems to be bumped up to 68KWh (The car now shows 249Wh/mi and a range of 276).
I drove the car 20000 miles so far. I have a hard time to believe this is normal battery degradation, especially since it dropped suddenly by a few dozen miles in the middle of last year.

Any idea why I don't see a higher capacity of my battery? Just bad luck? Or were there early 2018 Models (I got mine in July 2018) which had slightly smaller batteries?

Thanks
As my 2018 M3 LR RWD with 15,700 mi manufactured July 2018 is experiencing the same battery degradation as urs (ie64k) I was wondering how u & Tesla resolved it enlight of the recall notice for lr batteries manufactured may - august 2018. Would appreciate any info u could. Meeting with tech adviser to discuss further results of there initial battery ck.

As my 2018 M3 LR RWD with 15,700 mi manufactured July 2018 is experiencing the same battery degradation as urs (ie64k) I was wondering how u & Tesla resolved it enlight of the recall notice for lr batteries manufactured may - august 2018. Would appreciate any info u could. Meeting with tech adviser to discuss further results of there initial battery ck.
Based on our P3D degrading down to 65kWh usable down from around 72kW initial this seems normal for this pack.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I think it was 293 before they changed ratings, then was showing 301-304 for a little while before starting to degrade.
Guess I am confused about the year then. Sounds like you had a 2020, I guess.

In which case, yeah, that’s an unfortunate way to start out! Not great. But, on the upside, you’re only down 11% or so from where you started. Haha.

I remember that recall; I think they check your VIN to determine whether you got a battery with fewer cells wired in a pack.

I have a 2018 Model 3 LR RWD. It gets only around 270 miles when I charge it up to 100%. When I take the listed effective range in the Energy graph, multiply it with the Wh/mi value and then divide it by the charge percent of the battery I always get to a battery of 64KWh.
Last night I charged it from 2% to 99% and according to TeslaFi and my smart power meter it used 64KWh.
With the new firmware 2020.4.1 this seems to be bumped up to 68KWh (The car now shows 249Wh/mi and a range of 276).
I drove the car 20000 miles so far. I have a hard time to believe this is normal battery degradation, especially since it dropped suddenly by a few dozen miles in the middle of last year.

Any idea why I don't see a higher capacity of my battery? Just bad luck? Or were there early 2018 Models (I got mine in July 2018) which had slightly smaller batteries?

Thanks
I have almost exactly the same battery degradation experience with my Tesla M3 LR RWD purchased in august of 2018 and having a total of 15,700 mi. Using the same formula u used I came up with a battery capacity of 64 kWh. 2 recent BMS recallibrations (<10% to 100%) made no difference. Range was and is coming in at - 247mi/90% projecting out to - 268-270/100%. Tesla service has so far said the battery is healthy. Have follow call with Tesla rep tomorrow. WOULD B VERY INTERESTED IN SHARING INFO/explorations/research/others experiences on this. The exact same set circumstances & experiences r at best more than a bit strange. Let me know.

I have almost exactly the same battery degradation experience with my Tesla M3 LR RWD purchased in august of 2018 and having a total of 15,700 mi. Using the same formula u used I came up with a battery capacity of 64 kWh. 2 recent BMS recallibrations (<10% to 100%) made no difference. Range was and is coming in at - 247mi/90% projecting out to - 268-270/100%. Tesla service has so far said the battery is healthy. Have follow call with Tesla rep tomorrow. WOULD B VERY INTERESTED IN SHARING INFO/explorations/research/others experiences on this. The exact same set circumstances & experiences r at best more than a bit strange. Let me know.
Seems fine. No issues.

Reactions: AAKEE

The person you are quoting was on TMC (this site) for exactly 1 day, from account creation to making that post, to disappearing. You will not be receiving an answer from them. For "more experiences",

Please see the 260 page thread about battery health and range:

That has plenty of feedback (260 pages worth) on basically this same topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.