Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Model 3 Warranty Coverage for Wheel Bearing.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I have checked everywhere online but am not getting a clear cut answer, hence asking here.

Does the four year warranty cover wheel bearing replacement/repairs?

My 2018 Model-3 has an audible whirling/whining (like a turbo starting) noise from front left wheel when I drive, the noise gets louder with speed. It's not very loud but you can hear it within the closed cabin.

Thanks for your response and time.
Sean.

I would expect the "full" warranty of any modern car to cover wheel bearings. Wheel bearings should last the warranty period and *not* need to be replaced as a maintenance item during that time (assuming no racetrack use or wide offset wheel stance or such). On a Subaru I had a wheel bearing fail (symptom: a similar noise like you're describing) and replaced under warranty when it was 2-3 years old. No hassle from the Subaru dealer, they knew it was a warranty item. (Of course Subaru is not Tesla.)

I have not looked through the Model 3's warranty text carefully to give a fully informed answer, but in your place I wouldn't hesitate to file a service request and expect warranty coverage, if it's indeed a wheel bearing or most any other mechanical issue.

I have checked everywhere online but am not getting a clear cut answer, hence asking here.

Does the four year warranty cover wheel bearing replacement/repairs?

Yes, it should. As long as you are within both the 4 years and the 50K miles limit.
Whether your particular Tesla SC decides to honor the warranty or not, is another question.

My 2018 Model-3 has an audible whirling/whining (like a turbo starting) noise from front left wheel when I drive, the noise gets louder with speed. It's not very loud but you can hear it within the closed cabin.

Does the noise level change when you put more weight on that corner (RHS turns) an gets quieter when you unload it (LHS turns)?
If yes, it's a wheel bearing.
If not, then it's something else. Could be something as mundane as debris (rocks) stuck between the rotor and the dust shield.

HTH,
a

Reactions: tm1v2
"Should" be covered however Tesla being Tesla may try to duck out of it. I had a noisy suspension in less than a year of owning my car due to improperly torqued suspension components. I just assumed it "should" be covered but the service centre tried very hard to decline warranty and say it was normal maintenance to require annual suspension component re-torquing. Just never know.

• Informative
Reactions: afadeev