Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Model 3 Performance Drive Unit Fail, after not repairing accident damage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

My friend hit a curb and bent a linkage arm on the right rear wheel. Drove it like that (probably ~5 degree toe in) for 1,000 miles before it started making these loud thunking/clicking noise. Pretty much undriveable without sounding like the car is destroying itself. Does it sound like the differential went out or the drive unit bearings? Tesla refused to fix it under warranty, at least until the collision damage was fixed (just the linkage arm). If the model 3 has an open differential, would the bad alignment contribute to the differential going out?

With respect, there are so many things “not right”, with this. Waiting hat long before getting it looked after is not a reason to expect Tesla to just turn it around and fix it. I agree with Tesla not wanting to fix it under warranty. I’m not sure that there will be (maybe) some sympathy for that. As owners we have to have a level of responsibility.

You may not agree, but as stated, my intention is respectful.

With respect, there are so many things “not right”, with this. Waiting hat long before getting it looked after is not a reason to expect Tesla to just turn it around and fix it. I agree with Tesla not wanting to fix it under warranty. I’m not sure that there will be (maybe) some sympathy for that. As owners we have to have a level of responsibility.

You may not agree, but as stated, my intention is respectful.
you're right, I expected Tesla to deny the warranty. I'm just trying to figure out if it's the drive unit or the differential that went out and whether or not the toe in would have any effect on an open differential.

Reactions: TSLA Pilot
you're right, I expected Tesla to deny the warranty. I'm just trying to figure out if it's the drive unit or the differential that went out and whether or not the toe in would have any effect on an open differential.
Toe in wouldn't damage a differential, but the initial impact that bent the suspension arm could have damaged the differential, half shaft, CV joints, and possibly other parts. Not getting it all checked out as soon after the impact as possible is dangerous.

Reactions: joshuahuang07