Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Model P3D+ pricing for private dealer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems as if the service center took 3 previous unsuccessful attempts at a repair, and it was bought back. Then they figured it out, fixed it, and auctioned it.

If everything checks out, sounds like a great deal.

I can't name names, but a friend that works at Tesla said in the past 18 months this was extremely common on the Model 3 buybacks. Basically, they were putting all the parts available to build cars that they didn't have the spare parts to get to service centers within the 30-day lemon law requirements to get these cars fixed, so they wound up buying back a lot more cars than they would have if parts were available. Most of those cars then go back to either the factory or a service location site to get repairs and then be resold.

Steering rack sounds like it was probably a parts issue. I'm betting Tesla identified the cause in the 1st or 2nd visit, but then put in the request for parts and waited.

Anyone that has been in an accident with their Tesla and waited on parts for the repair is (painfully) aware of how long it takes to get parts from the factory.

• Informative
Reactions: pl8dlikafiddle
I can't name names, but a friend that works at Tesla said in the past 18 months this was extremely common on the Model 3 buybacks. Basically, they were putting all the parts available to build cars that they didn't have the spare parts to get to service centers within the 30-day lemon law requirements to get these cars fixed, so they wound up buying back a lot more cars than they would have if parts were available. Most of those cars then go back to either the factory or a service location site to get repairs and then be resold.

Steering rack sounds like it was probably a parts issue. I'm betting Tesla identified the cause in the 1st or 2nd visit, but then put in the request for parts and waited.

Anyone that has been in an accident with their Tesla and waited on parts for the repair is (painfully) aware of how long it takes to get parts from the factory.

The parts issue makes sense.

Ironically, my car is actually at the Marietta service center as we speak - it received a new trunk lid (I backed into my other vehicle). Luckily, they seem to have a lot of trunk lids available :).

OP, looks like everything is going as planned for you. The car was in great shape when I saw it.

Reactions: dobie
My experience with a Lemon Buyback is that - there are deals to be made IF you are buying it from a dealer at a discounted price.

I've done this before with a BMW, years ago - but will never do it again...

Not because the car had issues, no - most of the time cars are branded lemons because the owners just don't want the car anymore and it's super easy (as long as you play by the rules) to get a car returned with the right attorney.

I'll never do it because when it comes time to re-sell the car (you know, when you get sick of it after a few years - maybe that's just me) it's a complete hassle and nightmare.

You'll spend so much of your time educating people about what a Lemon-branded title is, tire kickers, that will never buy the car in the end. Ultimately I got sick of that after a few months and sold it to a shop that low-balled me.

So, if you're confident the car is repaired correctly and in good order, a good deal - IF you're keen on keeping it FOREVER. I'd rather pay more for a non branded title (we're not talking about Salvage here, this is different) just so that I don't have to deal with it when it comes time for it to go.

YMMV and all - just sharing my experience.

F8600018-E594-4F55-B328-104B7F1C40A4.jpeg
EE8BBF4D-2776-484B-92E1-9F91EF26FC97.jpeg
EE8BBF4D-2776-484B-92E1-9F91EF26FC97.jpeg
@jkoya here are some pics after having ceramic paint coating installed over the weekend. Peach State Detailing F8600018-E594-4F55-B328-104B7F1C40A4.jpeg EE8BBF4D-2776-484B-92E1-9F91EF26FC97.jpeg is awesome!