Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Model S - WTH two bolts are on the back of the steering wheel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I feel like this is a dumb question but I Googled it and I can't find consistent answers. Some people say they are T25, others T27, and honestly I'm not sure either are fitting in mine.

Scroll wheel broke and I'm trying to replace it, but I can't get past step one, LOL.

No one knows what size Torx you need to remove the two screws from the back of the steering wheel? Still finding zero info online, which is crazy to me. Looks like the refresh uses four T27 screws, but can't find anything on the 2017-2022 range models.

Well mine is T30, 2016

DB878AF7-2A8A-4FEE-A024-6E149377996D.jpeg

I was just about to reply to @VectraT to thank him or her for confirming my original suspicion, and now this, lol. It certainly feels like it's one of those 3 (5/32,T25, or T30) and I am still inclined to doubt the first and the last just doesn't seem to fit. I've been trying to get a good pic but I'm terrible at it, I guess - it's too small, too deep, and too dark for my camera to want to pic it up. Time to add a flashlight to the mix.

I've been trying to get a good pic but I'm terrible at it, I guess - it's too small, too deep, and too dark for my camera to want to pic it up.
Well the tool have to be parallel to the steering shaft, you would like to insert it perpetual to the back of the wheel but it will not set in. If the nut head is actually T25 then usually T30 would not fit… Mine was hanging on the nut while I took the photo. Good luck.