Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Model X 7 Seat to 6 Seat conversion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just had my 2018 Model X in service for a bunch of warranty items before I hit 50k and I was given a 2017 with the 6 seat configuration. I currently have the 7 seat bench configuration and I have to say I love the 6 seat option for people in the 3rd row. I have been looking into this and it appears all I need are the seat assemblies, which include the motor and electronics all part of the seat mounting. Then I need the new floor board with the correct configuration for two slots vs the rail slots for the bench seat. The thing I am unsure of is the under floor board configuration of my X. I am hoping there are just some plugs underneath that I can plugin the new 6 seat assemblies, but I can't be certain without taking it all apart. Does anyone have any experience with this? I have been able to source some seat assemblies for not a terrible amount, so that is the road I am going down. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I don't have any experience with trying a conversion, but it might be as simple as swapping seats & having Tesla reconfigure your car. The only movable parts under the floor board are foam blocks for floor support. Each bench has two plugs (the middle bench is actually two benches side-by-side). I'm not sure if the bucket seats use the same plugs or not.

The 7 seater fold-flat conversion to a 6-seater hasn't been attempted as far as I know.. The 7 seater bucket to 6-seater bucket was done (and documented on TMC) with some caveats...

Tesla will not reprogram your vehicle's seating configuration as any conversion will invalidate the safety of the vehicle, and it's a liability I'm sure they wouldn't want.

You can try looking at Parts Catalog (login with your Tesla account) and check through the seat diagrams.. It looks like the mounts are the same for the seating, which would make manufacturing easier... But, you would be on your own doing this one...

• Informative
Reactions: DavidB
The 7 seater fold-flat conversion to a 6-seater hasn't been attempted as far as I know.. The 7 seater bucket to 6-seater bucket was done (and documented on TMC) with some caveats...

Tesla will not reprogram your vehicle's seating configuration as any conversion will invalidate the safety of the vehicle, and it's a liability I'm sure they wouldn't want.

You can try looking at Parts Catalog (login with your Tesla account) and check through the seat diagrams.. It looks like the mounts are the same for the seating, which would make manufacturing easier... But, you would be on your own doing this one...
Where can I find this post? «The 7 seater bucket to 6-seater bucket was done (and documented on TMC) with some caveats.” I have looked everywhere

Last edited by a moderator: