Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 P100D max amp charge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I turned my 2016 P100D back in on lease. I could charge 72 amps on it at home. I have 100 amp break and HPWC set to 80 amps.

I got a good deal on a Dec 2018 build P100D and max it will charge is 47 amps.

Did tesla lower then max limit?

Believe so. Think the older 72 amp internal chargers required 2 individual devices. Now they all use an upgraded 48 amp unit, but only 1.

While people want access to the faster charging older units, for the most part, those charging overnight will see little benefit of the faster chargers. You can still charge completely overnight, but it just takes longer plugged in.

Believe so. Think the older 72 amp internal chargers required 2 individual devices. Now they all use an upgraded 48 amp unit, but only 1.

While people want access to the faster charging older units, for the most part, those charging overnight will see little benefit of the faster chargers. You can still charge completely overnight, but it just takes longer plugged in.

it is nice if you low on charge and come home to get some fast charge. just sucks i have 220 volt 100 amp just for the HPWC and now i can only use it at 47 amps

Yes. Getting a quick charge when you need it takes longer. They used to charge a premium for the dual chargers. Changed up to offer 48 amp chargers as standard, but dropped the dual 72 amp option.

Think even the newest Ravens are only 48 amp on board charging. They offset this by charging much faster if you use a Supercharger on a trip where waiting time is more precious.