Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Tesla Model 3, LR, AP, Blue, North DFW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Electroman

Aug 18, 2012
TX
32,500+ miles

Carmax offer: $33,000
Tesla trade in: $31.400

For private sale I am looking for $34,000. You can look at the car, but not entertaining Test drives

If it is not privately sold by next Friday it will go to Carmax or Tesla.

Pictures in the next post.

Last edited:
IMG_6710.JPG
IMG_6711.JPG
IMG_6712.JPG
IMG_6713.JPG
IMG_6714.JPG
IMG_6715.JPG
IMG_6716.JPG
IMG_6717.JPG
IMG_6718-1.jpg

- I only charge to 70% and I consistently get around 218 to 220 miles. Last time I fully charged I got 310 miles, and it was still charging at 20KW. If someone wants to know 80% range, then I charge it to 80%. But I hesitate to do that, because I hardly drive more than 15 miles a week nowadays.

- I took to Tesla for my 1 year servicing and they said it is not needed. Then I took it at 25k miles and they replaced some part on the front suspensions. Car has been driving just like new.

- I believe the warranty is 50k miles and 4 years. The same as every Model 3.

- VIN is 13k. Manufactured month is 04/18 (as printed in the door)

- the front right parking light was hit by debris and was replaced. They just replaced the whole bumper to make it look clean.

- I have been to service center once for 25k miles.

- All 4 new tires replaced only 500 miles ago

Last edited:
There are several aspects of a private sale I am quite confused. I have a bank loan, that I can pay off today. But the bank said, the lien takes several days, up to a week to be removed from DMV, and the DMV takes 2 to 3 weeks to send the paper title to my home address.

Does that mean I cannot sell the car to a private party until I get the title in my hand, which could be several weeks from today?

Also what about the plates? I plan to keep my plates (although it is not vanity, I want to keep the plates because it is a clean number). How does a new buyer drive off, without any plates?

In NY the buyers bank/credit union would require a lien release for the payoff of the title. If you owe $30k and sell for $34k the buyers bank would issue a bank check to your lienholder for $30k and a second check to you for $4k. Eventually you will receive the title and forward to the buyer. The problem is this process takes several weeks (check clears, your lienholding bank sends your the title, then you forward it to the buyer) and in that time frame the new buyer cannot register the vehicle. I believe there is a temp/paper plate that one can apply for with a bill of sale but there are restrictions, at least in NY.

Hmmm...I bought my M3 privately and flew to Albany to pick it up. The seller and I went to his bank with my Cashier’s Check. Once his bank confirmed my check was legit, his bank gave him the title and he signed it over to me...then I drove the 600+ miles home to VA. Very easy!

• Helpful
Reactions: E Dizzle
Hmmm...I bought my M3 privately and flew to Albany to pick it up. The seller and I went to his bank with my Cashier’s Check. Once his bank confirmed my check was legit, his bank gave him the title and he signed it over to me...then I drove the 600+ miles home to VA. Very easy!
Interesting. My bank (Bank of America) tells me that the title is with DMV and all they can do is let the DMV know that the loan is paid off and the Lien has been removed. The DMV will then take its own sweet time to mail me the title - which could be somewhere between 6 to 8 weeks or more.

Interesting. My bank (Bank of America) tells me that the title is with DMV and all they can do is let the DMV know that the loan is paid off and the Lien has been removed. The DMV will then take its own sweet time to mail me the title - which could be somewhere between 6 to 8 weeks or more.

This is one reason why selling a car to carmax / carvana / some car dealer is easier (and they give you less money because of it). If you dont have "title in hand" many times there needs to be some trust involved between buyer and seller. When you are selling a car that cost <10k thats not as much of an issue as it is when the car is >30k.

Also, it depends on how the purchaser is planning on paying (their own cash or a loan). It will be MUCH easier for you to simply take whatever one of those used car dealer places is offering than dealing with private party, if you dont have "title in hand", which it sounds like you dont.

Tesla trade in also will reduce sales tax though. Auto sales tax rate is 6.25% so 31,400 is equivalent to 33,352 (31.4 x 1.0625). Beats CarMax by a few hundred, but not sure if it complicates things too much.

Still surprised no takers at around $35k though.