Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.20.1 - Just got this in the UK...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How are people finding the phantom braking on this release? I had quite a lot of phantom braking today (A1 and other roads) along with periods of good behaviour.

I was trying to work out what was going on and I think the phantom braking might relate to mis-detection of where vehicles are in their lanes. Often, the driver visualisation shows vehicles touching or straddling the line, when in fact hey are not - they are comfortably inside their lane. (I have also noticed that car lane position shifts a lot as I overtake cars, or they overtake me. It’s like their is a problem transitioning from the front to side cameras...)

I guess if the Autopilot computer is combining radar data that indicates the vehicle is close, with camera angle/position data showing the vehicle is in your lane, then it could decide to apply the brakes.

Thoughts?

Maybe AP2.5 is under powered for the current Autopilot stack.
Elon tweeted a while ago that NoA was using about 80% of AP2.5 capability:
Elon Musk on Twitter
while AP3.0 is at ~5% load.

Cruise control used to be basically free of phantom braking for most of 2018. It was the updates late last year that started monitoring vehicles in other lanes that seemed to cause an increase in phantom braking - for me at least.

Interesting post explaining the increase in the neural network processing from V8 to V9:
Neural Networks

Last edited:
I'll believe it when I see it ;-) .

For the LHD cars, then one ship (the Morning Cornelia) had only HW2.5 cars, one ship (the NOCC Oceanic) had only HW3 cars, then one ship (the Grand Dahlia) seems to have had HW3 AWDs, some HW3 SR+ but also some HW2.5 SR+, etc.

No idea what the Grand Mark will bring...

I have a 2016 P90D
AP1
Curreny on 2019.12.1.1

The software that I'm about to install is 2019.16.3.2
I've heard a lot of negative press about this especially from UK drivers. Such as restriction in how much the steering wheel turns. Lack of lane change on Autopilot esp on A roads. Just wondering what people's thoughts are. Should I update?

I have a 2016 P90D
AP1
Curreny on 2019.12.1.1

The software that I'm about to install is 2019.16.3.2
I've heard a lot of negative press about this especially from UK drivers. Such as restriction in how much the steering wheel turns. Lack of lane change on Autopilot esp on A roads. Just wondering what people's thoughts are. Should I update?

Don't think AP1 has any real difference? All the fuss is AP2.

Question from a Tesla M3 owner to be.

When they update software do they automatically upload it to the vehicle or does the user get a choice to install it or not? If I compare this to software updates on my Mac, for example, I don’t use auto updates but prefer to wait a few weeks to let any issues get ironed out before then choosing to update it myself. How does Tesla handle this?

Same. You get a choice but otoh they don't show you the release notes so you can't make an informed decision ;-).

Not that release notes are complete — they tend to just say it “contains bug fixes and improvements”.

When they update software do they automatically upload it to the vehicle or does the user get a choice to install it or not?

No telling when you will get it. Having a good WiFi signal where you park probably helps - costs money for Tesla to have to send it via Mobile Comms. If car goes in for service they are likely to apply an update ... in particular if you do NOT want them to do that you need to tell them.

If you get to install a new version, and it is buggy, anecdotally you will be prioritised for the next bug-fix release.

There is a setting on the car to choose to have updates "as soon as released" - for the benefit of non-risk-adverse beta-test-lovers!

Updates download automatically, you then get to choose when it will install (vehicle goes offline, typically doesn't take long, but the car assumes max install time each time). You can choose "now", or schedule it for e.g. midnight ...

Reasonably sure car stops charging when updating ... so I have mine set [it defaults to "last time that you chose"] to install 30 minutes before scheduled overnight charging starts

I am not aware that there is any way to know what version it has downloaded ready to install. Apart from some jurisdiction retrospective legislation being introduced it won't be backwards :) so if more than one version released since whatever-you-have then Pot Luck what it will be.

Newbies get excited about the updates .. ."Everyone has got it BUT me" ... "Why can't I get it faster" ... "Wow! I was first. LOOK at all the bugs" ... and so on.

If you can get over the excitement sit and wait. I no longer have any wish to install the Big Updates for at least a month after release.

IMHO Tesla should change the deployment:
  • Tell you what the version will be
  • Provide online DOCs / Video to show what has changed
  • A Major Update that completely revamps the presentation of the screen could do with ALL drivers knowing what has changed BEFORE they have a need for something whilst approaching a blind bend at speed ...
  • Note that the "New Version : Read the Notes?" only appears ONCE after install and NOT once for each driver-profile selection - which, to me, would make more sense. If you have e.g. spouse who drives the car don't forget to tell each other if you get the "New version installed" screen ... but then you do have to remember to do that of course ... hence I think it would be better if CAR did that bit for you :)

• Informative
Reactions: interbear
Question from a Tesla M3 owner to be.

When they update software do they automatically upload it to the vehicle or does the user get a choice to install it or not? If I compare this to software updates on my Mac, for example, I don’t use auto updates but prefer to wait a few weeks to let any issues get ironed out before then choosing to update it myself. How does Tesla handle this?

Yes, you do get chance to schedule the upload once you are notified of a new version being available. So you can wait a few weeks if you like, but I usually just get on with it. At the moment updates are coming thick and fast, but most of the irritating bugs remain. V9 is now fairly mature and Spotify actually works for the most part. AP is also much better than it was say a year ago.

Reactions: interbear
I have a MS that was delivered last week in the UK, production was late April but I have APH4 / AP.3 and the CCS upgrade. paid for AP+FSD 500 miles in and still not even Basic AP. Cruise Control is not dynamic, I have to manually adjust via the stick so basicly no AP at all.
I got the car with 2019.20.1 and upgraded to 2019.20.2 thinking AP may get fixed but nope.
It seems they are having problems with the AP on the new chip.
Also no sign of the CCS adaptor for the UK even though I have the upgrade. (missed out on Raven too !!)

No grumbling ! love the car and I paid a price I was happy with, just wish I could experiance AP