Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.40.2.3 for AP1 cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
anyone notice reduction in supercharger kW?

Previously i was maxing out and charging at generally 50-55 kW at supercharger.

Since this update I've supercharged twice so far and maxed out at just 32 kW, both chargers starting around 20%ish battery remaining..

I pulled into a SC on Saturday at 15% and got 71kW. Highest I’ve ever had in my MS60. I had just done a 100 mile trip though so my battery was warm.

• Informative
Reactions: Greenms60
The problem with the preheating is (since 2019.36) that it does not preheat the battery when preheating the cabin any longer (you can see it in the app, no battery icon while on Climate control), which is really stupid (!), as you will have no Regen, or very limited, on the first miles, and a very high consumption.

40.2.3 did not fix it, but Tesla seemingly knows about it.
Any leads on this issue? This has basically rendered my car useless in VT

My problems started after the firmware update, "Car needs service, car may not restart!" alert, preceded by loss of preconditioning in cold weather, and warning triangles every 10min next to the energy graph display. Just finished service on Friday, allegedly fried battery pack heater module was the culprit. Took two hours of diagnostics before they isolated the problem.

At the end they started 2019.40.2.3 re-load around 1530hours, it finished at 1800hours. Significant delay, the update was trickling badly. The Columbus SC folk were awesome, the mechanic himself showed me what was going on, felt terrible keeping them open until that late. On the bright side I had my middle daughter with me and we did a lot of shopping and eating at Easton:)

Regardless, now running very smooth and fast, much better regen and precon is working again.

IMHO I am wondering if some of the older hardware items in our cars are having a hard time playing with the new softwares,
e.g. maibe the battery management system needs a hardware upgrade to work properly.

I'd be curious to learn how many others have had the same issue after the latest firmware.

Full charge display range, when new is 270, so little range loss over the years.

A few points that you missed;
1) My 2016 90D has had a significantly diminished battery capacity (72 kwh) from 6 months after its build date.
2) The cars display of full charge range (about 280 miles) fails to indicate this significant battery degradation.
3) Tesla techs say this is all normal.

I don't dare to install it on my 2013 s 60..
What will they brake this time?
First no tpms reset anymore, so in effect I don't have tpms now anymore.
Then a loss of range, then terribly slow supercharging. Buttons on my Energyscreen are not visible anymore.
Since last week almost no Regen anymore on my short commute trips.

A year ago it was a really nice car and by now I'm terribly disappointed, still nothing wrong with the car, but Tesla breaks it Everytime a little more with every up(down)grade..

Please give me back software V8

Since mid 2016, software updates have degraded the utility of the car in a few ways;
- Frequent nags to put just the right amount of pressure on the steering wheel. Or autopilot is shut off for the rest of the drive.
- Speed limit on lane keeping on secondary roads.

Got it this morning on my 2015 MS85D. Car still has 264 mile range after 40k miles so very little degradation. Will be driving it later today and on a 300 mile trip tomorrow. Will report back anything interesting.

I have a similar car @ 48k miles. Recently I requested service technician to confirm my battery degradation and in last 4 yrs and 48k miles it degraded only 0.9%.

Reactions: MichaelP90DL
I have a similar car @ 48k miles. Recently I requested service technician to confirm my battery degradation and in last 4 yrs and 48k miles it degraded only 0.9%.
No way is that even remotely accurate unless it's a typo. If you meant 9% that's not bad. If you meant nine tenths of a percent over 4 years & 48k miles you got fed a load by whomever at Tesla that you spoke to.

2016 P90D supercharging down to 35kW with start at 30% in battery!!! Battery was warm with full regen showing. I charged at over 130kW in November!
I’ve only used Superchargers less than 10 times on long runs when I need them- this is not good...

It is cold in Scotland just now I thought it may be a,Brent related even though car was warm. Is anyone still getting 100kW+ With AP1?

2016 P90D supercharging down to 35kW with start at 30% in battery!!! Battery was warm with full regen showing. I charged at over 130kW in November!
I’ve only used Superchargers less than 10 times on long runs when I need them- this is not good...

It is cold in Scotland just now I thought it may be a,Brent related even though car was warm. Is anyone still getting 100kW+ With AP1?

You can confirm that you were on an unpaired supercharger? that is you weren't just getting the leftovers from someone else?

If you have an S or X, DO NOT upgrade to 2019.40.2.3. They no longer allow split screen. Typically I run Tesla Waze in the browser. The other half of the screen is nav. They no longer allow us to half size the browser. it is full screen or nothing. Don't upgrade if you use Tesla Waze! I am regretting my mistake to trust Tesla with the upgrade. This is the quote from the Tesla Engineer. "This is intentional. We’re no longer doing the split window setup on the center display."

• Disagree
Reactions: boonedocks
I have a 2015 P85D, I've had it for about 10 months now, and when I first got it I could hit charging speeds of around 125 to 130 kw for a time during most charges at a supercharger. Now, I am lucky to get into the 80 kw range, and most times I seem to top out around 71-73 kw. Before anyone asks or says it... no, I am not at a 75 kw charger, its a 150 kw. I can be there alone at 2am and still not get better than that regardless of which stall I am at. I have visited many other 150 kw sites and have the same type of speeds, I am SURE its a throttling thing done to the Older Model S batteries as of late last year.

Last edited:
I have a 2015 P85D, I've had it for about 10 months now, and when I first got it I could hit charging speeds of around 125 to 130 kw for a time during most charges at a supercharger. Now, I am lucky to get into the 80 kw range, and most times I seem to top out around 71-73 kw. Before anyone asks or says it... no, I am not at a 75 kw charger, its a 150 kw. I can be there alone at 2am and still not get better than that regardless of which stall I am at. I have visited many other 150 kw sites and have the same type of speeds, I am SURE its a throttling thing done to the Older Model S batteries as of late last year.
You are correct.
Several thread in the Battery section, like this one: Superchargers slowing