Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.40.2 Canadian Release Notes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else have the left/right ping pong or bobbling effect?

Mine's been driving me crazy. Anything past 80kph, it oscillates to the point that sometimes it'll cross the lane (120+). Not as bad as the white Miami Tesla that smashed into the lane dividers but I usually take over before it gets to that point.

Two visits to SC and no solution. They're thinking it's the stickiness of the winter tires (eye roll). My steering wheel/column has felt weird ever since they changed the front axle but Mississauga SC say it's all within spec. But the official forums has many 3 owners with similar issues. Suspect is the new FW 40.x.

Let me know. I think they're getting sick of me at the SC :oops:

I like the new lane change operation. Maybe it's even a tad bit too aggressive, but an improvement over before when it would sometimes take forever when there was obvious room to change lanes.

Yeah I find the lane changing improvements slightly more aggressive then I would like. Somewhere in the middle between the old behaviour and the new behaviour would be nice. I still the find NOAP lane changing to be too slow.

Mine's been driving me crazy. Anything past 80kph, it oscillates to the point that sometimes it'll cross the lane (120+). Not as bad as the white Miami Tesla that smashed into the lane dividers but I usually take over before it gets to that point.

Two visits to SC and no solution. They're thinking it's the stickiness of the winter tires (eye roll). My steering wheel/column has felt weird ever since they changed the front axle but Mississauga SC say it's all within spec. But the official forums has many 3 owners with similar issues. Suspect is the new FW 40.x.

When 2019.40.1.1 got rolled out, a lot of people were complaining about AP being "drunk" with the behaviour you are describing here. I personally haven't noticed anything different on 2019.40.2 vs 2019.32.2

Wow its funny you mention this. I just got the latest update last night, and noticed on the drive this morning AP acting exactly as you've described. AP is not as planted within the lane as it was on 36.2.4, and use AP daily.

This bouncing issue might not be related to your front axle repair, but can confirm it's definitely an issue related to the new update.

Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck

Mine ping pongs almost regardless of the speed. Very first thing i noticed with the new update.... super annoying. plus even going around a slight bend on the highway and it almost leaves the lane. Definitely a regression here...

Yeah I noticed a little wobble as well when before it was dead straight. But in my case it has not been as extreme as you describe. I actually thought maybe I was being over sensitive, but seems many others have it too.

I like the improvements, especially the lane change, although the wipers still are not where they could be.

When I first looked at my release notes, I saw that I had hold mode highlighted. I turned it on and thought I might have to do this each time I put the car into drive like some other features. I did not drive the car till the next day and when I went to check if I had to put it in "hold" mode it was not highlighted anymore and was unable to turn it on. Anyone else get/have this feature only to lose it the next day?

I've had a bit of ping ponging with this release. I've only used it a couple of time, but in that time I've had some weird stuff happen.

The first one was switching right on the 401 from the fast lane to the middle lane of the express. To my right in the slow lane was a semi, and there was also a merge point upcoming (coming from the collectors onto the express). A car overtook the semi on the opposite side, but still was only merging into the right most lane. My car swerved violently left, then right before I intervened. All the cars behind me fell back to give some distance too.

The other odd one was AP determined to overtake a slower vehicle ahead of me by switching from the middle to the fast lane. However, there was a car overtaking me on the left, so the car cancelled the lane change (even though once that car cleared it could very easily have merged) and instead changed direction to switch to the slow lane and overtake what was ahead of me in the middle lane.

• Informative
Reactions: Techniques
I got the 170kw charging upgrade on mine. Unfortunately, it's unlikely I can test this until April at the earliest. I'm averaging 27kw right now.
Pre condition the battery before you supercharge for 30 min or so and stay charging asking 15% battery. Only a warm battery below about 45% will get the max charge rate. Those two things can help some. The battery likes to be above 40-50C for max charge rate and performance.

• Informative
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
Pre condition the battery before you supercharge for 30 min or so and stay charging asking 15% battery. Only a warm battery below about 45% will get the max charge rate. Those two things can help some. The battery likes to be above 40-50C for max charge rate and performance.
uhhhhg, just noticed the terrible auto correct job my phone did on this. Should have read 'start charging at 15%....' above :oops:

Preheating of the battery via the app doesn't work for the Model S under 40.2 or 40.2.1. I wish I was still on 36.2
The comment I was replying to was someone with an SR+, no pre condition option but if you punch in a supercharger as a destination the electric motor works against itself to generate residual heat. On the AWD models the front and rear generate around 7 kw of heat. I haven't see what the rwd models generate. Presumably less?