Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.5.15 - Car topping up charge every 45 min to 1hr

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe it's topping up to offset the phantom losses? I typically don't plug in every night but have noticed quite often the charge finishes at 90%, but then in the morning it could be down to 88% and range is at ~440km. I've had it go down as to as much as 436km while still plugged in. I'm not on the new firmware yet.

I did notice that with Sentry on it drained about 2 miles per hour. I turned it on when I got to work today was not charging and when I moved it about 6 hours later to a charger it was about 12 miles less than when I parked. I haven't tracked it when charging yet.

For sure putting it on a schedule will help. I suspect that It could have been because Sentry was on, and was recording frequently.
Sentry seems to be using a fair bit of battery when active.
Based off of some other posts it seems like sentry active basically is the same as never letting the car go to sleep, and has a power draw of around 250-300W. So in an 8 hour workday you would lose around 2-2.5 kWh or about 15 km of range. That's kind of crazy, but it is what it is.

• Informative
Reactions: Techniques
Based off of some other posts it seems like sentry active basically is the same as never letting the car go to sleep, and has a power draw of around 250-300W. So in an 8 hour workday you would lose around 2-2.5 kWh or about 15 km of range. That's kind of crazy, but it is what it is.
Yeah, it will be interesting to see how much it draws if say parked unplugged during a cold day with it turned on.

I’m seeing this too. I do NOT have Sentry on, and I schedule charging to 90% from 9:00 pm to 6:00 am (free power for me). I’ll get one or two notices during the night that charging has started at 89%.

Edit: and temperatures have been quite mild in Houston, so not a battery warm-up function. The car is behaving like it will charge to maintain the pre-set charge level with a 1% deadband. Not a bad feature as long as it’s intentional and is not detrimental to the battery.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Techniques