Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.5.16 - No Sentry Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
LOL... You really crack me up... Do you have any idea how many times I've been called a fanboy here? Nope, you haven't a clue and that's fine but you might want to know a little more about the person your arguing with before you get too terribly deep into the weeds.

It's TMC... Credibility isn't exactly very high on this boards priority list...

Bright side here is Tesla reversed the TACC speed reset when disengaging auto seer in the latest release so I'm pretty stoked about that...

Jeff
Chill out. You cannot do anything with that rush.
:cool:;)

Reactions: 1375mlm
LOL... You really crack me up... Do you have any idea how many times I've been called a fanboy here? Nope, you haven't a clue and that's fine but you might want to know a little more about the person your arguing with before you get too terribly deep into the weeds.

It's TMC... Credibility isn't exactly very high on this boards priority list...

Bright side here is Tesla reversed the TACC speed reset when disengaging auto seer in the latest release so I'm pretty stoked about that...

Jeff

No need to be hostile, but I think most of us agree with you, its just that perhaps you may want to take a step back and look at the grand scheme of things.

I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say that we hate door dings and hit-and-run accidents. Moreover, the opportunity to catch one of those flamingos (I'm censoring) would plaster a smile on our faces for quite some time.

I want this feature just as badly as you do, and I've been following up on this ever since Elon mentioned it to begin with. I've kept holding out month after month buying a dashcam for my car because of Elon hinting at this capability, and I got my car a year ago in March.

But there's a difference between Tesla holding out these features for fun, and Tesla holding out these features because they are not ready yet.
I would call myself a Tesla fanboy, but I also agree with a shorts on several points of theirs too. I do NOT think Elon/Tesla can do no wrong.

Right now, for all we know, it may be easier to experiment with the feature on Model 3, and to carry over that functionality gained from testing to the S & X. It may be more efficient that way, which means a faster development and roll out of the sentry mode.

There's most definitely a good reason that Tesla still has not rolled it out to S & X, and I doubt its because they thought "eh, their cars are expensive, so screw em' and their support"

If you think about it, and lets for (hopefully the last time) go back to your Mercedes example, Mercedes would not hesitate to charge extra for a feature like this. They definitely wouldn't retrofit it, but they would want you to buy the latest car with this feature.

The fact that cars built almost 1.5 years ago can get this, for freaking FREE, is not something to overlook. So what if we receive the update a couple weeks after the Model 3, when its done and ready, versus now, when its not ready or useful?

Reactions: jeffro01
Again, you're deciding to cherry pick a comment to suit your own narrative. My position isn't controversial or unheard of or any other negative connotation you want to give it to make yourself feel better. This excuse that Tesla doesn't behave like traditional auto is nothing more than a justification for your own fanboy'ism... I get it, in your world Tesla can do no wrong, blah, blah, blah... The Model 3 has been great for the balance sheet but it's been incredibly disruptive to the brand and ownership base due to a litany of

I find it hilarious you are trying to educate me on how Tesla operates considering I've been around the brand since early 2012 and while that doesn't make me special or anything and many have been around a lot longer than I have, I do have plenty of experience knowing how Tesla operates...
No need to be hostile, but I think most of us agree with you, its just that perhaps you may want to take a step back and look at the grand scheme of things.

I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say that we hate door dings and hit-and-run accidents. Moreover, the opportunity to catch one of those flamingos (I'm censoring) would plaster a smile on our faces for quite some time.

I want this feature just as badly as you do, and I've been following up on this ever since Elon mentioned it to begin with. I've kept holding out month after month buying a dashcam for my car because of Elon hinting at this capability, and I got my car a year ago in March.

But there's a difference between Tesla holding out these features for fun, and Tesla holding out these features because they are not ready yet.
I would call myself a Tesla fanboy, but I also agree with a shorts on several points of theirs too. I do NOT think Elon/Tesla can do no wrong.

Right now, for all we know, it may be easier to experiment with the feature on Model 3, and to carry over that functionality gained from testing to the S & X. It may be more efficient that way, which means a faster development and roll out of the sentry mode.

There's most definitely a good reason that Tesla still has not rolled it out to S & X, and I doubt its because they thought "eh, their cars are expensive, so screw em' and their support"

If you think about it, and lets for (hopefully the last time) go back to your Mercedes example, Mercedes would not hesitate to charge extra for a feature like this. They definitely wouldn't retrofit it, but they would want you to buy the latest car with this feature.

The fact that cars built almost 1.5 years ago can get this, for freaking FREE, is not something to overlook. So what if we receive the update a couple weeks after the Model 3, when its done and ready, versus now, when its not ready or useful?

I like the attempt. But logic and reason won’t work with this type of character. Best thing to do is to let him be.

Reactions: golfbern

I can validate this statement. Jeff used to be a fanboy.

I really cannot understand why so many of you are so completely okay with this? You spent a substantial amount more for the Model X and you're okay the entry level model has more features than your significantly more expensive car does? Don't give me this "be patient" routine, flagship model owners (in this case S, then X) should never have to "be patient"...

I'm not expecting everything right this second, I'm expecting Tesla to treat it's flagship owners better. I don't see why that's so hard or so controversial to ask? Name one other car company that behaves like this? You can't, because you won't find one... Could you imagine if Mercedes decided to put new features and functionality into their base model car before the S/AMG class? (not sure enough about Mercedes model distinctions to know exactly what's the top of the line) Their ownership base would be having kittens...

Jeff

I am with you and it sucks. I have an AP2.0/MCU1, so I get less features than you. I have come to terms with the fact that AP2.0 cars are probably gone the way of AP1 cars and all focus is on the Model 3/Y. Don't expect any major software updates (except UI redesigns). Hope that they can pull off an AP2/2.5 to AP3 upgrade in a reasonable time.

They can't afford to treat their flagship owners better. If they don't sell Model 3s, the company goes under. I don't see their focus changing until Model Y is out and production is going well which is probably 2021.

However, you need to give credit that Tesla does have some level of attention to its older vehicles. What other auto manufacturer updates 6 year old cars?

Reactions: 1375mlm
LOL... Please... This type of character? If you're going to take a cheap shot at me, at least have the stones to explain yourself... Otherwise, STFU...

Jeff

No. Not a cheap shot. I’m letting him know, based on our previous discussion that no amount of writing with logic or reasoning that will help you understand our point of view. Just agreeing to disagree at this point. All additional attempts are futile.

I can validate this statement. Jeff used to be a fanboy.

I am with you and it sucks. I have an AP2.0/MCU1, so I get less features than you. I have come to terms with the fact that AP2.0 cars are probably gone the way of AP1 cars and all focus is on the Model 3/Y. Don't expect any major software updates (except UI redesigns). Hope that they can pull off an AP2/2.5 to AP3 upgrade in a reasonable time.

They can't afford to treat their flagship owners better. If they don't sell Model 3s, the company goes under. I don't see their focus changing until Model Y is out and production is going well which is probably 2021.

However, you need to give credit that Tesla does have some level of attention to its older vehicles. What other auto manufacturer updates 6 year old cars?

Our Audi prior didn’t get one update to the user interface for all the years we owned it. Definitely something that can’t be overlooked. And that gets back to Senty mode and dashcam. These are both items never even promised by Tesla when we purchased the vehicles. It’s awesome that now my 2 year old car can get additional features, especially free of charge. We also had a Mazda prior and they were wanting $500 just to add Apple CarPlay functionality to their existing interface.

Reactions: golfbern
@jeffro01 ooooookaaaayy I’ve changed my mind. It’s been 2 weeks since we last talked how it was a little unfair that M3 got Sentry mode before us.

Not only do most S & X STILL not have sentry mode/dog mode still from what I can tell, but now M3 is starting to get Advanced summon, traffic light recognition, and AP that recognizes turn signals on adjacent cars, plus supercharger V3 speeds.

I don’t mind waiting... but it seems like these features are clearly ready. If anything, id like to have the safety features and the features I paid for.... oh well.