Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.5.16 - No Sentry Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Name one other car company that behaves like this? You can't, because you won't find one... Could you imagine if Mercedes decided to put new features and functionality into their base model car before the S/AMG class? (not sure enough about Mercedes model distinctions to know exactly what's the top of the line) Their ownership base would be having kittens...

Jeff
You do realize exactly this happens?
I agree with you to an extent. But as far as I can tell, many Model 3 owners have footage of leaves blowing by. Clearly there is work that is needed to be done, so they have not rolled it out.

But back to your Mercedes example:
MANY instances of this happening. In just the previous generation, the Mercedes C class was updated before the E class. (One tier apart)
The E class was updated before the S class. It was given a lot of safety features, smart features, and some autonomy tech before the S class got it. Merc followed up months later with a mid-cycle refresh to the S class.

Seriously, this happens all the time, and to varying extents. In our case, Tesla isn’t holding back for fun, but they’re undergoing development on the feature.
And as a side note, this feature wasn’t included in the vehicle description when purchasing. It is by definition a bonus, and Tesla could very easily hold this for Model 3 only or just scrap it all together and we would have no right to complain, other than Elon’s promises via tweets. I consider it a bonus and am appreciative of whenever it comes.

While I'm a bit annoyed that M3 gets all the attention while my Xs sit all sad and unloved, I understand that Tesla needs to make the biggest impact to protect as many of its customers as possible, and that's the M3. It doesn't mean Tesla forgets about the Ss and Xs, it just means there's less of us as a percentage now.

Tesla is moving toward releasing all models with the single horizontal screen so it can write software once and roll it out quickly across all models. Vertical guys and gals like us are going to be left behind more and more.

I think they initially focused on the 3 because that's where so many of the breakins were happening.

Tesla was so super focused on it that the first people who got the update were in Cali.

I only finally got the update yesterday on my Model 3.

On the blog post it says "The feature will begin rolling out today to U.S. Model 3 vehicles, followed by Model S and Model X vehicles that were built after August 2017."

The fact that it took a month for me to get it means it will probably be another month until the Model X gets it.

Yes because no one ever breaks into an S or an X... Really...???

Jeff

While I'm a bit annoyed that M3 gets all the attention while my Xs sit all sad and unloved, I understand that Tesla needs to make the biggest impact to protect as many of its customers as possible, and that's the M3. It doesn't mean Tesla forgets about the Ss and Xs, it just means there's less of us as a percentage now.

Tesla is moving toward releasing all models with the single horizontal screen so it can write software once and roll it out quickly across all models. Vertical guys and gals like us are going to be left behind more and more.

No wonder Tesla feels okay giving flagship owners the shaft... Wayyyy too many of you are supportive of it...

Jeff

• Disagree
Reactions: 1101011
View attachment 385833

This guy Jeff definitely has a chip against M3 owners and sees himself as somehow “better than.” He should know a lot of M3 owners own X and S as well. And I awknowledge, there are definitely growing pains with the company. Like my last reply, if entitlement depends on how much cash you spend prepare to get treated like the way you treat model 3 owners right now when the roadster comes out...

It’s not model 3 owners, it’s people like you (whether or not you own a roadster, S, X or 3) acting in this way that give us all a terrible rep.

Way to take my one post out of context... I hope you're proud of yourself or whatever. I don't have a chip against M3 owners, I have a chip against Tesla's approach to the Model 3 and the issues that's caused. My point in that SINGLE post which you cherry picked was entirely about the EAP/FSD pricing changes and how Model 3 owners ruined it for the rest of us because they whined and cried like toddlers until hey got what they wanted at the expense of everyone else. It's not a matter of "better than" it's a matter of simple economics... When you pay more for a product you expect, are least you should expect, better treatment than someone who paid less. That's simply reality.

Regarding the Roadster, of course they should get preferential treatment, they're spending upwards of $250K+... If you were spending that kind of money you'd expect better treatment as well. This isn't controversial, it's basic logic...

Jeff

Elon said Comes with 2019.8, which finishes validation this week

Great!

No wonder Tesla feels okay giving flagship owners the shaft... Wayyyy too many of you are supportive of it...

Jeff

Again, what are you going to do once the roadster comes out and your car isn’t the “flagship” anymore? Your need for immediate attention and every thing first won’t be fulfilled if, as you wish Tesla devotes their time and energy to the most expensive product first. Think about it, at that point you could have an issue primarily affecting your X. How happy will you be if they provide all the updates to those who own roadsters just because they paid more? Stop thinking about you first and how much money you paid for one second and put yourself in the other persons shoe. We all paid a lot for our S, and X. Even a lot of 3 owners have paid a lot. Again, there’s a lot of 3 owners who own S and X. They aren’t below us. We should be glad we are slowly changing the tide against traditional ICE cars.

Great!

Again, what are you going to do once the roadster comes out and your car isn’t the “flagship” anymore? Your need for immediate attention and every thing first won’t be fulfilled if, as you wish Tesla devotes their time and energy to the most expensive product first. Think about it, at that point you could have an issue primarily affecting your X. How happy will you be if they provide all the updates to those who own roadsters just because they paid more? Stop thinking about you first and how much money you paid for one second and put yourself in the other persons shoe. We all paid a lot for our S, and X. Even a lot of 3 owners have paid a lot. Again, there’s a lot of 3 owners who own S and X. They aren’t below us. We should be glad we are slowly changing the tide against traditional ICE cars.

I already addressed this so perhaps your reading comprehension needs a bit of work...??? The 2020 Roadster owners ABSOLUTELY should get priority over EVERYONE else. This isn't even a question when you're spending that kind of money on something. What's so complicated about that? They should get features/updates first, they should have priority in service, technical support, EVERYTHING...

It's not a matter of being above or below, you're really hung upon this for some reason... It's a matter of treating owners in an appropriate manor based on their entry points into the brand. This isn't controversial at all, okay maybe for you it is...

Jeff

But back to your Mercedes example:
MANY instances of this happening. In just the previous generation, the Mercedes C class was updated before the E class. (One tier apart)
The E class was updated before the S class. It was given a lot of safety features, smart features, and some autonomy tech before the S class got it. Merc followed up months later with a mid-cycle refresh to the S class.

This is more than a bit disingenuous and I suspect you know that... It's based on release cycles and I can assure you that when each class is updated in the order in which they are, you won't find a fresh S class release that lacks a single feature that the E class has and you'll also find it with plenty of things the current E class at the time doesn't have...

It's not an apples to apples analogy due to the fact that Mercedes uses a traditional automaker release schedule whereas Tesla implements changes on the fly no matter what. I was trying to make a point about flagship models and while I could have enumerated it better, I didn't think I needed to...

Jeff

I already addressed this so perhaps your reading comprehension needs a bit of work...??? The 2020 Roadster owners ABSOLUTELY should get priority over EVERYONE else. This isn't even a question when you're spending that kind of money on something. What's so complicated about that? They should get features/updates first, they should have priority in service, technical support, EVERYTHING...

It's not a matter of being above or below, you're really hung upon this for some reason... It's a matter of treating owners in an appropriate manor based on their entry points into the brand. This isn't controversial at all, okay maybe for you it is...

Jeff

This is coming from the guy who called all model 3 owners “the worst thing to happen to Tesla.” It’s fine to have your desire that Tesla treat you better based on the price of your car. I’ve told you before, Tesla doesn’t behave like traditional auto, so you might end up disappointed constantly. Again that’s your desire, fine to have it. And again, myself and others have explained there is some logic behind the release of sentry mode.

What’s not fine is for you to come into the forums and raise a hissy fit against model 3 owners, call them the worst thing to happen to the company. Calling them entiltited when you are doing the same thing here. I raise the issue of being above or below since it’s obvious you think you are in some higher place because of the price of your car. And you aren’t getting it.

How many initial roadster owners are here complaining that our S and X has more features and that they don’t get treated special. Get over yourself.

Reactions: vinny84 and 1375mlm
This is more than a bit disingenuous and I suspect you know that... It's based on release cycles and I can assure you that when each class is updated in the order in which they are, you won't find a fresh S class release that lacks a single feature that the E class has and you'll also find it with plenty of things the current E class at the time doesn't have...

It's not an apples to apples analogy due to the fact that Mercedes uses a traditional automaker release schedule whereas Tesla implements changes on the fly no matter what. I was trying to make a point about flagship models and while I could have enumerated it better, I didn't think I needed to...

Jeff
Normally I wouldn't engage in this, but you're bashing Tesla unfairly. I'm all for constructive and HONEST criticism of Tesla, but you can't make an apples to oranges comparison that didn't even exist in the first place.

Look it up for yourself: The 2016 Mercedes E-Class received features like Drive Pilot, the new "High definition multi-beam" headlights, and pre-collision safety features like "Pre-Safe Sound".

These features were not months behind, but over a YEAR behind. The price difference between the two is over $35k. And these weren't random features either, but all these features were in their own advertisements, as selling points for the E-Class.

Don't trust me, because “i'm disingenuous”, and “I know it”. Look it up for yourself.

That's leagues worse than Tesla giving the M3 half-baked sentry mode before S & X

We have the assurance that these features will be coming sometime soon to our cars. But for the S-Class buyers who bought their car during that time, Merc wont retrofit the systems in their cars, and DEFINITELY not for free.

Release schedules or not, it doesn't matter. It doesn't mean they paid less money for their brand new cars because a release cycle was due.

If it makes you feel better, you can think of the M3 owners as beta testers while the rest of us, the "premium" and "entitled" owners, get the features done right at a later date.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: vinny84 and NHK X
This is coming from the guy who called all model 3 owners “the worst thing to happen to Tesla.” It’s fine to have your desire that Tesla treat you better based on the price of your car. I’ve told you before, Tesla doesn’t behave like traditional auto, so you might end up disappointed constantly. Again that’s your desire, fine to have it. And again, myself and others have explained there is some logic behind the release of sentry mode.

What’s not fine is for you to come into the forums and raise a hissy fit against model 3 owners, call them the worst thing to happen to the company. Calling them entiltited when you are doing the same thing here. I raise the issue of being above or below since it’s obvious you think you are in some higher place because of the price of your car. And you aren’t getting it.

How many initial roadster owners are here complaining that our S and X has more features and that they don’t get treated special. Get over yourself.

Again, you're deciding to cherry pick a comment to suit your own narrative. My position isn't controversial or unheard of or any other negative connotation you want to give it to make yourself feel better. This excuse that Tesla doesn't behave like traditional auto is nothing more than a justification for your own fanboy'ism... I get it, in your world Tesla can do no wrong, blah, blah, blah... The Model 3 has been great for the balance sheet but it's been incredibly disruptive to the brand and ownership base due to a litany of poorly thought out decisions and even worse execution... Model 3 owners have come into the brand thinking they're special because they can finally afford a Tesla and that has come with a level of entitlement that isn't justified. Call it what you will, call me what you will, I don't really care about either...

That being said, I will say whatever I want to say, whenever I want to say it and there isn't a damn thing you can do about it. Initial Roadster owners have been almost completely abandoned by Tesla and that isn't right either...

I find it hilarious you are trying to educate me on how Tesla operates considering I've been around the brand since early 2012 and while that doesn't make me special or anything and many have been around a lot longer than I have, I do have plenty of experience knowing how Tesla operates...

Perhaps you're the one that should get over yourself...???

Jeff

Again, you're deciding to cherry pick a comment to suit your own narrative. My position isn't controversial or unheard of or any other negative connotation you want to give it to make yourself feel better. This excuse that Tesla doesn't behave like traditional auto is nothing more than a justification for your own fanboy'ism... I get it, in your world Tesla can do no wrong, blah, blah, blah... The Model 3 has been great for the balance sheet but it's been incredibly disruptive to the brand and ownership base due to a litany of poorly thought out decisions and even worse execution... Model 3 owners have come into the brand thinking they're special because they can finally afford a Tesla and that has come with a level of entitlement that isn't justified. Call it what you will, call me what you will, I don't really care about either...

That being said, I will say whatever I want to say, whenever I want to say it and there isn't a damn thing you can do about it. Initial Roadster owners have been almost completely abandoned by Tesla and that isn't right either...

I find it hilarious you are trying to educate me on how Tesla operates considering I've been around the brand since early 2012 and while that doesn't make me special or anything and many have been around a lot longer than I have, I do have plenty of experience knowing how Tesla operates...

Perhaps you're the one that should get over yourself...???

Jeff

Your position isn’t controversial, the way you defend it is. It’s fine to have candid discussion about concerns and issues. Others have brought up the logic behind sentry mode. You are so bent on the fact that it came to M3 first you don’t see the logic.

I love the I’ve been around so long defense.. as well as fanboy labeling. It really adds to your credibility. Keep it up. Look at your own post history, it’s not cherry picked, you’ve been arguing around most threads recently.

When you pay what you pay for a Model X, you're completely justified to be entitled... It's the most expensive car the brand offers... I go back to my Mercedes example on this one...

We don't need to chill, Tesla needs to remove it's head from it's backside...

Jeff

Get Chill.
Believed me. Tesla make more profit on Model 3 compare to S/X. Do you even know that how Toyota make more profit than BUGATI. Even X/S cost more but think how many of them got sold.
Model 3 sold so far > S + X and bring more profit. But waitttt... just dont talk about the price or cost any more. Tesla SHOULD treat all S, X, 3, Y, R Same. Do you like if Tesla treat you Bad because the price lower than Bugati 11M dollar?

Get Chill.
Believed me. Tesla make more profit on Model 3 compare to S/X. Do you even know that how Toyota make more profit than BUGATI. Even X/S cost more but think how many of them got sold.
Model 3 sold so far > S + X and bring more profit. But waitttt... just dont talk about the price or cost any more. Tesla SHOULD treat all S, X, 3, Y, R Same. Do you like if Tesla treat you Bad because the price lower than Bugati 11M dollar?

Um... The gross margins are higher on the S/X than they are the 3... That's what I meant... You joined to post that response back to me? LOL

Jeff

Your position isn’t controversial, the way you defend it is. It’s fine to have candid discussion about concerns and issues. Others have brought up the logic behind sentry mode. You are so bent on the fact that it came to M3 first you don’t see the logic.

I love the I’ve been around so long defense.. as well as fanboy labeling. It really adds to your credibility. Keep it up. Look at your own post history, it’s not cherry picked, you’ve been arguing around most threads recently.

LOL... You really crack me up... Do you have any idea how many times I've been called a fanboy here? Nope, you haven't a clue and that's fine but you might want to know a little more about the person your arguing with before you get too terribly deep into the weeds.

It's TMC... Credibility isn't exactly very high on this boards priority list...

Bright side here is Tesla reversed the TACC speed reset when disengaging auto seer in the latest release so I'm pretty stoked about that...

Jeff