Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 Long range or new 2023 standard range?

New 2023 SR or 2019 LR with EAP?

• New 2023

Votes: 47 75.8%
  • Used 2019

Votes: 15 24.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pretty simple decision. Warranty is KING IMO, so a 2019 is going to be without warranty soon. The build quality has increased drastically over the past several years, and even the part they use now look similar, but have been updated (like the door handles - go pull a new 2023 door handle - feels a lot different). Though it looks similar - the newer 2023 has a lot of different parts, after years of quality control of vehicles on the road.

• Performance wise the SR is slower 5.8 sec - 0-60, but still very fast compared to a similar ice vehicle.
  • If you don't need the additional performance or AWD (Dual Motors) - new is king.
  • The LFP battery can be charged to 100% daily (about 272 miles, but depends on your driving), and does charge at a slower kWh rate. 260+ miles is more than most other EV's out there (ID4, EV6 and etc).
  • New - Everything is new, and you won't have to replace the expensive tires ($400/each) anytime soon.
  • Standard autopilot is perfect.

So in the end - it really depends on what your needs/wants are - plus your budget. If you live in CA, the CVRP + the IRA EV tax rebate could make the decision much easier.

Used Tesla prices are dropping, as all the major buyers (Carvana, Vroom, Driveway, Carmax and etc) have slashed used values. Most trade in offers for a 2022 MP3 to these dealers will result in a $35k-$36k offer (low $30's for a M3LR). High interest rates, no FOMO, new EV federal and state rebates - (used car values will fall (just like in normal times) - buying new make more financial sense.

Plus - depending on your state and what you qualify for - the IRA EV tax rebate of $7,500 + your states rebate (if any) makes new looks financially a no brainer to me. That my 2-cents!

Last edited:
Is it physically impossible to buy and run even a 120v extension to a mobile charger? Get a 100' cable, 12ga, and charge it over night as a backup to work/superchargers. I used a mobile charger 120v for the first few weeks and it was doable when it wasn't freezing.
I had the same plan back in 2019, i was planning to buy the new M3 at that time. I tried to discuss with my property manager and promised to provide all cable covers and safety equipment to protect the cable, in exchange of assigning the closest parking spot to me, but they refused for liability concerns. Now my new job location has a few shared chargers, so I took that a sign to switch.
It maybe sound wrong, or maybe it will turn out to be a wrong mov, I guess we will see.

@MSM182 - It’s hard for me to choose without knowing the price difference. Do you qualify for the $7500 tax credit? How about state tax credits? The new 2023 likely will cost less.

I like the idea of new car with 8 year battery warranty. The SR has LFP battery, which you can charge to 100% all of the time. You will want to charge the LR battery to 90%, or a bit more so that the battery is at 90 or below when you get home from the charging station.

The Ryzen chip in the SR is faster, and enables more features such as ZOOM meetings. The SR will be quick compared to most cars. If you are a leisurely driver it will be like a rocket. However, if you drive hard you will appriciate the even quicker dual motor LR. Since it is a 2019, better confirm it is dual motor, not the original RWD LR. If the latter, then it will not be much quicker than the 2023 RWD SR.

Good Luck with your decision.

GSP
Are all of the RWD/SR manufactured with LFP batteries, or is it just the ones from the Shanghai gigafactory? I have a Model 3 RWD from Austin, picking it up soon. Recently bought a model Y but my wife stole it so...need me a new Tessie haha

Are all of the RWD/SR manufactured with LFP batteries, or is it just the ones from the Shanghai gigafactory? I have a Model 3 RWD from Austin, picking it up soon. Recently bought a model Y but my wife stole it so...need me a new Tessie haha
Austin is not building Model 3 so that’s impossible to be from Austin. It’s from Fremont.

But all North American market Model 3 RWD are LFP as of about 2021. Basically when they rebranded it to RWD instead of SR/SR+.

• Informative
Reactions: XPsionic and GSP
Austin is not building Model 3 so that’s impossible to be from Austin. It’s from Fremont.

But all North American market Model 3 RWD are LFP as of about 2021. Basically when they rebranded it to RWD instead of SR/SR+.
Oh, yes I meant Fremont sorry. VIN is 5YJ3E1EA4PF-

Ah, okay thanks for the clarification. I kept seeing stuff about SR, SR+ and such and I was a bit confused because mine is RWD but no one calls it that. I've only been in the MY forums because of my MYLR lol.

Last edited:
So it would be recommended to fully charge every night, correct? Now I need to go read up on LFPs lol
For the RWD When you do charge it yes 100% it will scorn you if you drop the target below 100% i have 220 15a at my place and plug it in most of the time but when thunderstorms are predicted i tend to take the cautious route and unplug it lol…
i can normally go 3-4 days before i feel i need to charge it, if i go too much below 40% it takes more than 10 hrs to fully charge. But i sometimes even though a round trip run to the office is ~20% Including sentry-mode i will just plug it in when i get home.
Normally one night A week i get it fully charged then unplug it and turn of sentry to allow the pack to balance Out. (It does that when the contacters disconnect from my understanding.)

• Informative
Reactions: EpicNguyen
For the RWD When you do charge it yes 100% it will scorn you if you drop the target below 100% i have 220 15a at my place and plug it in most of the time but when thunderstorms are predicted i tend to take the cautious route and unplug it lol…
i can normally go 3-4 days before i feel i need to charge it, if i go too much below 40% it takes more than 10 hrs to fully charge. But i sometimes even though a round trip run to the office is ~20% Including sentry-mode i will just plug it in when i get home.
Normally one night A week i get it fully charged then unplug it and turn of sentry to allow the pack to balance Out. (It does that when the contacters disconnect from my understanding.)
Yep - ABC "Always BE Charging" is key - especially when you have access to a home charger. Once you get into that routine - similar to charging your phone - you won't worry about range at all. LFP batteries may charge a bit slower (170 kWh vs 250+, but filling them to 100% is a bonus). On trips - just a little planning will make it easy too. Staying in a hotel with a EV charger makes life super stress free.

• Informative
Reactions: EpicNguyen
Yep - ABC "Always BE Charging" is key - especially when you have access to a home charger. Once you get into that routine - similar to charging your phone - you won't worry about range at all. LFP batteries may charge a bit slower (170 kWh vs 250+, but filling them to 100% is a bonus). On trips - just a little planning will make it easy too. Staying in a hotel with a EV charger makes life super stress free.
whats the lowest recommended %? For my MYLR, it was recommended to stay between 20-80% so I assume for the M3RWD it would be 20-100% right?

Newer 2023 Model 3 standard range.
My 2019 Model 3 Long Ranger isnt fairing to well. I just hit 100,000 miles. Supposedly, the battery chemistry is much better(?) than the 2019 batteries.
In short, my range went from 310 miles to 270 miles which is not bad. However, going "long distance" the reality is that MY car only does about 220 miles max driving from 100 to 0 percent.

I would strongly advise you to try and find a local dealerships with used LR and test drive the new SR at a Tesla sales center back to back

Back in Jan I test drove a LR and SR back to back and instantly knew I needed the LR just for the fun factor alone...it is considerably faster and that instant go juice is addicting

I ended up snagging a 2020 Model 3 Performance with EAP. and only 25,898 miles for a little bit more than what the LR's were going for from Tesla's used inventory...I was a bit sketch about laying down non refundable $500 on a car I couldn't even see in pictures, but was more than happy I pulled the trigger as she was minty mint and the price was unbelievable !!! The prices have gone up about $4-5K on the used M3P's in just a couple weeks after I got mine on the Tesla site...I scored big time!

The extended warranty that come with the used ones is great and you get software upgrades for pennies on the dollar...it's hard to beat getting a used Tesla straight from Tesla...

BTW, all the used LR's on Tesla used inventory come with Acceleration Boost which is a nice bonus also....

I would get the lightly used LR if I were you
If that is true that used LR from Tesla get Acceleration Boost....then I would choose the used LR over a new RWD