Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 Long range or new 2023 standard range?

New 2023 SR or 2019 LR with EAP?

• New 2023

Votes: 47 75.8%
  • Used 2019

Votes: 15 24.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,
I‘m looking to get a M3 to replace my Audi A4 and I'm in a bit of a dilemma and need some wisdom: should I buy a new 2023 M3 SR or a 2019 LR with Enhanced autopilot with 19000 miles from Tesla directly?

The pros of The 2019 model for me: long range for less charging stops since I have no access to home charger, EAP with full functions ready, and cheaper ($39000 before taxes). The cons: it’s used
the pros of the new: new, better components (I assume), current tax credit and rebates (California, USA). The cons is the loss of EAP functions without known date when they will be ready.
Both cars are red.
What do you think I should I get? Any other technical differences between both I should consider?
Thanks in advance

Hello all,
I‘m looking to get a M3 to replace my Audi A4 and I'm in a bit of a dilemma and need some wisdom: should I buy a new 2023 M3 SR or a 2019 LR with Enhanced autopilot with 19000 miles from Tesla directly?

The pros of The 2019 model for me: long range for less charging stops since I have no access to home charger, EAP with full functions ready, and cheaper ($39000 before taxes). The cons: it’s used
the pros of the new: new, better components (I assume), current tax credit and rebates (California, USA). The cons is the loss of EAP functions without known date when they will be ready.
Both cars are red.
What do you think I should I get? Any other technical differences between both I should consider?
Thanks in advance
1) Range is King!

The 2021 and later Model 3 range is above 350.

2) It's not proven that newer is better in Tesla Sonarless and Radarless.

Reactions: TimTam
With the 2023 you’ll see nice changes such as Ryzen chip, the processing is noticeably faster, refreshed interior, and blacked out exterior accents.

The latter such as the refresh interior and exterior blackout can be fitted on the used 2019.

I personally would lean towards the used 2019 given it is in good shape and everything checks out. This is especially true, if you don’t need a heat pump car, don’t care for faster processing, then I rather have EAP, slightly quicker car, AWD, etc. Given the warranty is almost coming to an end there are now various 3rd party options for extended warranties.

I would strongly advise you to try and find a local dealerships with used LR and test drive the new SR at a Tesla sales center back to back

Back in Jan I test drove a LR and SR back to back and instantly knew I needed the LR just for the fun factor alone...it is considerably faster and that instant go juice is addicting

I ended up snagging a 2020 Model 3 Performance with EAP. and only 25,898 miles for a little bit more than what the LR's were going for from Tesla's used inventory...I was a bit sketch about laying down non refundable $500 on a car I couldn't even see in pictures, but was more than happy I pulled the trigger as she was minty mint and the price was unbelievable !!! The prices have gone up about $4-5K on the used M3P's in just a couple weeks after I got mine on the Tesla site...I scored big time!

The extended warranty that come with the used ones is great and you get software upgrades for pennies on the dollar...it's hard to beat getting a used Tesla straight from Tesla...

BTW, all the used LR's on Tesla used inventory come with Acceleration Boost which is a nice bonus also....

I would get the lightly used LR if I were you

Last edited:
@MSM182 - It’s hard for me to choose without knowing the price difference. Do you qualify for the $7500 tax credit? How about state tax credits? The new 2023 likely will cost less.

I like the idea of new car with 8 year battery warranty. The SR has LFP battery, which you can charge to 100% all of the time. You will want to charge the LR battery to 90%, or a bit more so that the battery is at 90 or below when you get home from the charging station.

The Ryzen chip in the SR is faster, and enables more features such as ZOOM meetings. The SR will be quick compared to most cars. If you are a leisurely driver it will be like a rocket. However, if you drive hard you will appriciate the even quicker dual motor LR. Since it is a 2019, better confirm it is dual motor, not the original RWD LR. If the latter, then it will not be much quicker than the 2023 RWD SR.

Good Luck with your decision.

GSP

I'm new to the Tesla world but not at all new to cars. And one thing that stands out to me as a big difference in Tesla vs other car brands is that Tesla is a very new company and they were basically figuring out how to build a car along the way. Elon himself has said as much.

With that in mind I would have a strong preference for a new vs ~ 4 year old Tesla. Not only are there the more obvious consumer facing changes in newer Model 3s but they are also simply built better.

This serious was very interesting, and keep in mind this is about a 2021 Model 3 - a 2023 Model 3 likely has additional updates.

With the 2023 you’ll see nice changes such as Ryzen chip, the processing is noticeably faster, refreshed interior, and blacked out exterior accents.

The latter such as the refresh interior and exterior blackout can be fitted on the used 2019.

I personally would lean towards the used 2019 given it is in good shape and everything checks out. This is especially true, if you don’t need a heat pump car, don’t care for faster processing, then I rather have EAP, slightly quicker car, AWD, etc. Given the warranty is almost coming to an end there are now various 3rd party options for extended warranties.
How fast is the processing between new and old? Are we talking iPhone 14 to iPhone 11, or iPhone 14 to iPhone 8?
I'm not sure about the heat pump. but I learned that heat pump is more energy efficient, not sure how much compared to traditional AC.
The 2019 still has original warrenty that will end this year, then the additional 1 year Used Warrenty starts.

@MSM182 - It’s hard for me to choose without knowing the price difference. Do you qualify for the $7500 tax credit? How about state tax credits? The new 2023 likely will cost less.

I like the idea of new car with 8 year battery warranty. The SR has LFP battery, which you can charge to 100% all of the time. You will want to charge the LR battery to 90%, or a bit more so that the battery is at 90 or below when you get home from the charging station.

The Ryzen chip in the SR is faster, and enables more features such as ZOOM meetings. The SR will be quick compared to most cars. If you are a leisurely driver it will be like a rocket. However, if you drive hard you will appriciate the even quicker dual motor LR. Since it is a 2019, better confirm it is dual motor, not the original RWD LR. If the latter, then it will not be much quicker than the 2023 RWD SR.

Good Luck with your decision.

GSP
I do qualify for the $7500 tax credit plus another $2000 from California. The 2023 SR is $44500 before tax and no EAP, while 2019 is $38000 (AWD, Rear heated seats, Speed Boost).

I'm new to the Tesla world but not at all new to cars. And one thing that stands out to me as a big difference in Tesla vs other car brands is that Tesla is a very new company and they were basically figuring out how to build a car along the way. Elon himself has said as much.

With that in mind I would have a strong preference for a new vs ~ 4 year old Tesla. Not only are there the more obvious consumer facing changes in newer Model 3s but they are also simply built better.

This serious was very interesting, and keep in mind this is about a 2021 Model 3 - a 2023 Model 3 likely has additional updates.

That is a very valid point from a technology standpoint. 1 point to Team New.

IMO, it's gonna boil down to how much range you *need* vs. the risk of out-of-warranty maintenance. To me, the maintenance risk far outweighs the added mileage of the LR and speed you might get out of it (but I don't know your mileage needs). While Teslas certainly save you $$ on regular maintenance, I think there's risk of getting hit for significant costs down the line for things like touch screens, various inverters, controllers, etc. Not to mention the battery itself is still relatively new tech. I think you want the longest warranty period possible.

Also, the word on the street is they've improved little things on the newer models like ride, soundproofing with double paned glass, etc.

Reactions: MSM182
The $7500 tax credit might be gone by time of delivery, according to Tesla it is good until March 2023 and it doesn't mean you will be getting an extra $7500 tax return either even if it did qualify...it is a bit convoluted and there are several articles that explain it..So keep that in mind

also, a 2019 LR with a 310 mile range, will most likely have about 275 mile range at this point due to degradation which is about the same as a 2023 SR...so there is that.

but to me, the biggest difference is the performance and the fun factor you will get with the LR AWD with AB

0-60 in 3.9 sec is a completely different car than a 0-60 in 5.8 sec car...but if you can live with the much slower car, go with the new one over the used, but if you like a bit more excitement in your life, get the 2019....trust me, test drive them both back to back....a low mile car with extended warranty is going to be fine. There are several thousand m3's out there with well over over 100K miles with no major issues.

btw, depending on your state you may still be eligible for some sort of rebate on the used EV also.

Reactions: MSM182
also, a 2019 LR with a 310 mile range, will most likely have about 275 mile range at this point due to degradation which is about the same as a 2023 SR...so there is that.

That's exactly what I was coming to say. My 2019 LR RW started at 325, and is now down to about 285. So make sure you check to see what the actual range of the used car is, not what it's supposed to be.

Reactions: 73Bruin and MSM182
You do not have a home charger at all? Nothing even with the standard outlet?
I would not buy a Tesla then unless you can get free charging.
I would just buy a new Tesla Model 3 RWD, the price is very low right now and with the federal tax rebate you could keep it a couple of years and sale it without losing any money. Also the new Model 3 RWD can be charged to 100% all the time so the range difference is really not much.

Reactions: XPsionic
You do not have a home charger at all? Nothing even with the standard outlet?
I would not buy a Tesla then unless you can get free charging.
I would just buy a new Tesla Model 3 RWD, the price is very low right now and with the federal tax rebate you could keep it a couple of years and sale it without losing any money. Also the new Model 3 RWD can be charged to 100% all the time so the range difference is really not much.
Correct. I have no mean to charge it at home, but I'm going to new job in office building that has chargers in the parking.
That's a good point for the the new. I guess I'm leaning toward the new now

2023 is getting a refresh I believe right? So there will be a lot of used Tesla's hitting market of people from people changing out. If you can hold on might be able to get a deal for a long range.

The Tax credit is the wild card IMO. Nearly instantly puts a new car at the same cost of a used. Hard not to utilize the tax credit if qualified.
If money is the main factor, vs range... So many options now, and they qualitfy for the 7,500 credit too.

I have owned a Chevy Bolt around max 245'ish range, and now my 2021 M3LR. Supercharger network is a different topic, just focusing on range. the extra 75 to 100 miles or so does make a difference. I don't like going under 10%, or even 20% before rolling into a charger on trips. Driving from Vegas, to San Diego for example. You will be stopping 2 to 3 times in a 250 range car, vs 1 to 2 stops in 350 range. Granted bathroom + coffee usually dictates 2 stops anyway.

I vote getting long range, if you are going to do trips. Other OEM, ioniq 5, Bolt EUV, Kia Niro, Kia EV6

Having had a 2019 and now a 2022, I can also say that the cabin of the newer vehicle is much quieter, likely due to the dual pane glass. I don't really think you can go wrong either way, but just thought I'd mention that little small thing.

I bought a used 2020 LR with FSD last month over a new standard model. I wanted AWD for the few times it snows here. My buddy has a later 2020LR with a heat pump and that seems like a great model to try and find in colder climates.

Tesla used might be a safer bet, and better experience, than my *sugar* show at the rando Toyota dealer. It was a great deal though. But you pay more and get a better warranty from Tesla.

All that said, if I couldn't charge at home I would personally not have bought an electric car. Using superchargers means the per mile cost is equivalent to buying gas for a 30mpg ICE car.

Is it physically impossible to buy and run even a 120v extension to a mobile charger? Get a 100' cable, 12ga, and charge it over night as a backup to work/superchargers. I used a mobile charger 120v for the first few weeks and it was doable when it wasn't freezing.

Last edited:
Reactions: XPsionic