Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 Model 3 Performance has a hitch cover

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone knows how to get a replacement panel for the new Model 3 panels? I cut a hole around the hitch in the panel to not leave a huge opening in the undercarriage with the hitch installed.
We’re you able to find where you can buy a new hitch panel? I want to buy a 2nd panel to cut around the hitch receiver but still want an uncut panel for when the receiver is not used.

The panel is also present in our 2020 Model 3 SR+ made in November of 2019, which I documented here, and took some pics of my 2018 and my 2020, seen below:

2018 Model 3 LR AWD area under rear bumper pictured below:
IMG_8030.jpeg

2020 Model 3 SR+ area under rear bumper pictured below:
IMG_8026.jpeg

I have failed to find any useful information on a trailer hitch for the model 3.
Ideally the wiring and hardware would both be installed, but just a hitch would allow for a very desirable bike rack.
Any links to a solution are greatly appreciated.
Or stories of how you carry two bikes on or in your model 3.
I'm bumping two old threads with this request as the question seems to be asked often and never gets anywhere.

I have failed to find any useful information on a trailer hitch for the model 3.
Ideally the wiring and hardware would both be installed, but just a hitch would allow for a very desirable bike rack.
Any links to a solution are greatly appreciated.
Or stories of how you carry two bikes on or in your model 3.
I'm bumping two old threads with this request as the question seems to be asked often and never gets anywhere.

The first post in this thread has a direct link to a Model 3 hitch (EcoHitch Stealth). That being said, I agree with @Ryefry, Stealth Hitch has a better solution (I had the predecessor on my BMW). Here's a direct link to their site. The EcoHitch Stealth has a rattling problem because of poor design.

I carry up to 4 bikes on my Model 3 with a Rockymounts SplitRail rack; base rack is 2 bikes, with removable addons for the other two.

I am holding off on the Stealth hitch until somebody can figure out the wiring harness that is under the panel and if we can tap into it for the wiring instead of running the wires forward to the battery. Anybody wanna take a voltmeter and check out if it is sending voltages on turn signals or if there is a 12v constant there?

I don't understand your post. There are hitches that include wiring harnesses (examples already posted above), and the instructions to install them. What imore are you looking for?

EDIT: never mind, I get it, you want to route the wires differently. I think the whole purpose of the battery is to provide the 12v signal. I'm pretty sure Tesla uses PWM to monitor things, which can cause problems with 12v equipment (though maybe not a trailer harness)...

Looks promising, hoping somebody can confirm it:

"All Australian cars have a socket for the OEM trailer wiring harness taped to the crash bar. This includes 12V, earth and CAN bus wires. I cut this off and used the 12V and earth for my trailer harness. I did have aspirations of using this to power my fridge however its only powered up whilst the car is in drive so its not much good for that."

Tow Bar — TSL43.info

Does this mean we can just wire into this harness with the supplied wiring from stealth hitches?

I don't understand your post. There are hitches that include wiring harnesses (examples already posted above), and the instructions to install them. What imore are you looking for?
I dont want to run the 12v to the battery...you have to remove the seats, drill through the wall, etc. It seems you can just get the 12v power from the harness.

Looks promising, hoping somebody can confirm it:

"All Australian cars have a socket for the OEM trailer wiring harness taped to the crash bar. This includes 12V, earth and CAN bus wires. I cut this off and used the 12V and earth for my trailer harness. I did have aspirations of using this to power my fridge however its only powered up whilst the car is in drive so its not much good for that."

Tow Bar — TSL43.info

Does this mean we can just wire into this harness with the supplied wiring from stealth hitches?

Mine (June 2019) did not have this. I suspect, since Tesla doesn't offer the tow package in the US, it's not included. But maybe it's been added to newer cars a la the cover discussed in this thread.

Just checked mine. Couldn't find a plug... :(

Looks like the only way is to tap into the 12v battery... I can't believe there isn't another place to obtain power from, even if it's with "lights on" or some other, easily accessible power source.

I'm sure you can get a 12v signal. The problem with PWM systems is it's not stable. I installed a backup camera in my VW and tried to tap power directly. The image was scrambled because of the PWM. But my aftermarket stereo harness (edit: the PAC RP4) provided a stable 12v lead so I was able to use that instead. Be that as it may, I'd personally prefer to follow the instructions rather than poke around the factory wiring :)

One thing to check: is there a place to plug in the harness itself, if you were able to buy the harness from Tesla? From the photo you posted it looks like an add-on. However it's rare for car manufacturers to not hardwire that stuff in so I'm not optimistic...