Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 Model 3 Performance has a hitch cover

Quorky

Oct 1, 2019
NYC
I'm sure you can get a 12v signal. The problem with PWM systems is it's not stable. I installed a backup camera in my VW and tried to tap power directly. The image was scrambled because of the PWM. But my aftermarket stereo harness (edit: the PAC RP4) provided a stable 12v lead so I was able to use that instead. Be that as it may, I'd personally prefer to follow the instructions rather than poke around the factory wiring :)

One thing to check: is there a place to plug in the harness itself, if you were able to buy the harness from Tesla? From the photo you posted it looks like an add-on. However it's rare for car manufacturers to not hardwire that stuff in so I'm not optimistic...

Thanks. Very helpful comments. I think we would need somebody with a factory plug to trace where the wires are feeding from. I bet it is tapped somewhere in the rear of the car, rather than an additional wire directly from the battery.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC