Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trailer hitch for 2019 Tesla 3 LR options and where to get it done?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would like to add a trailer hitch to my 2019 Tesla 3 LR.
I understand there are options to make it look OEM. I believe I have that removable cover underneath the bumper.

What is the preferred hitch?

And also, where to go to get it installed? removing bumper etc? Does Tesla do this? Not sure if I like to go to a traditional trailer hitch installer due to the body work. A body shop?

Tesla service center will not install a hitch for you. The two options if you want a removable hitch are Torklift Ecohitch or Stealthhitches. If you don't care if it isn't removable then Curt sells a lower priced hitch.

Both Torklift and Stealthhitches have installers listed on their website. You can also pay sometimes handy to do it for you, since the actual install isn't that hard and there is no bodywork involved.

Meanwhile, I ended up installing the hitch myself.

I enjoyed my new hitch without removing it for a while. Today, I wanted to close the opening with the cover. To me it seems that it doesn't fit anymore right.
It seems that something (aluminum block?) is pushing against it on the outer side towards bumper. I can close it, but does not seem right.

I work for the dealer that does the heavy duty hith to tow the Airstream.

We use the CURT ClassIII hitch as a starting point and then build a reinforcement off of that. I always recommend it for people looking for the best hitch they can get without having to see us.
A Class 3 hitch on a Model 3 is well, stupid. The same chassis, Model Y, Only supports a Class 1.

A Class 3 hitch on a Model 3 is well, stupid. The same chassis, Model Y, Only supports a Class 1.
Ummm, not sure where you live, but the Model Y, in Canada and the US is available with a factory installed Class III. Model 3 has the same motors, same battery and (more or less) the same chassis. That's why we do this with them:

We've done somewhere near 60 custom hitches on Teslas.

I work for the dealer that does the heavy duty hith to tow the Airstream.

We use the CURT ClassIII hitch as a starting point and then build a reinforcement off of that. I always recommend it for people looking for the best hitch they can get without having to see us.
Do you have any recommendations for stealth hitches or do you feel strongly that getting the Curt is the best option for under 2000lbs towing? I have a 2019 M3P that I’d like to at least tow 2 jet skis behind and a stealth hitch like this one (https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Tesla/Model+3/2019/391TES317T.html?VehicleID=20195001316) is my preference but I don’t mind a permanent hitch.

Do you think the stealth hitch is good for 2000 lbs? If you still recommend the Curt hitch, where could I purchase the bottom cover that has the cutout made for hitches to fit through? I saw you mention that in another post but as far as i could see no one had said where to buy it from.

Do you have any recommendations for stealth hitches or do you feel strongly that getting the Curt is the best option for under 2000lbs towing? I have a 2019 M3P that I’d like to at least tow 2 jet skis behind and a stealth hitch like this one (https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Tesla/Model+3/2019/391TES317T.html?VehicleID=20195001316) is my preference but I don’t mind a permanent hitch.

Do you think the stealth hitch is good for 2000 lbs? If you still recommend the Curt hitch, where could I purchase the bottom cover that has the cutout made for hitches to fit through? I saw you mention that in another post but as far as i could see no one had said where to buy it from.
The challenge is this. When you get close to 2000lb you'd be nuts not to use weight distribution. The stealth hitch can NOT take weight distribution. I think you'd be OK with some jet skis, and you could make it work better by lengthening the coupler/a-frame of the trailer. I've only ever worked with trailers that are 2100lb and above, so I can't comment one what's going to be a problem. I can say that I would never endorse 2000lb without weight distribution and I'd never endorse weight distribution without a custom reinforced hitch. If you can't (or don't want to spend the money) do a custom hitch then the CURT is the strongest option. The Stealth hitch we've worked with and they're great... after we weld them permanently in place... at which point you might aswell get the CURT.