Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 Model 3, Screen Black out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That problem is the exact issue with mine as well, especially with vertical grey lines.. Does yours not black out anymore even when you open the Tesla App first and while App opened and running, then open the door?
Just tried to enter the car once while tesla app was active and the problem does not show anymore. But it has been only four days since the screen was replaced. So we'll see. I'll report here whatever happens.

Just tried to enter the car once while tesla app was active and the problem does not show anymore. But it has been only four days since the screen was replaced. So we'll see. I'll report here whatever happens.
Also I took some videos of how the screen looked for the SC to see and also told them the times that this happened. They checked the logs for those times and determined that screen needs to be replaced. Also at some point they told they might need to replace the computer and wiring too. Don't know if the problem was shown on the logs
Before the screen replace SC first send me a sw-update and after I had 2019.20.4.2 they enabled update for the same version again so my car re-run the the same sw update. They suspected that some device driver hadn't been installed or loaded correctly. The problem also happened with 2019.16.x and 2019.20,2.x .

Last edited:
Also I took some videos of how the screen looked for the SC to see and also told them the times that this happened. They checked the logs for those times and determined that screen needs to be replaced. Also at some point they told they might need to replace the computer and wiring too. Don't know if the problem was shown on the logs
Before the screen replace SC first send me a sw-update and after I had 2019.20.4.2 they enabled update for the same version again so my car re-run the the same sw update. They suspected that some device driver hadn't been installed or loaded correctly. The problem also happened with 2019.16.x and 2019.20,2.x .

Have you had any more black outs (or flickering) since replacing the screen? My screen is being replaced by a mobile service technician as I'm writing this post, but wanted to see if you experience any more black out issues with your screen.. I too hope this screen replacing resolves the issue... Thank you.

Have you had any more black outs (or flickering) since replacing the screen? My screen is being replaced by a mobile service technician as I'm writing this post, but wanted to see if you experience any more black out issues with your screen.. I too hope this screen replacing resolves the issue... Thank you.
No problems since the screen was replaced. Hope the new screen helps you too.

My screen was replaced, they told me, so far no black screen fault anymore in the morning.
Software is different now, some messages appear when I unlock the door, wasn't before.
So far so good....

How often were you all having this issue? I've had one two black screens while driving, and two black screens while parked in 6 months of owning the car.

And worryingly enough on the last one, the reboot T screen had grey lines running down it (although no graphical artifacts after the reboot).

Is 4 instances enough to warrant a screen replacement?

There are just too many common issues. Does Tesla regression test their updates?....or are they using us?
Agile programming's mantra is "fail fast, fail often." This is just meant as a means to develop iteratively. Programmers are able to deliver more value, faster, but sometimes it comes with risks. In order to develop iteratively, you can't boil the ocean and often times developers are tasked to code only the piece they're working on.

That's the short answer.

The long answer is more along the lines of, "what about the factory/assembly QA?" and "what are the inconsistencies between hardware?" These can be more difficult questions to answer. Legacy automakers delivered technology and features in a much slower pattern because:
1. They developed everything in-house. This meant starting over from scratch for nearly every piece of new tech that is sold.
2. Their feedback loop consisted of automotive sales. If a feature or vehicle didn't sell well (or the same of a competitor), it wasn't something worth investing in.

Tesla is a Beta company with a Beta product. Most of the software within the OS in our vehicles come with a bunch of warnings. I would like to know what the bare minimum of the vehicle can be operated on. If the screen is broken, can I still drive my car? If yes, for how long? Also, if the screen is broken, and I lose my keys or replace my phone, how do i fix that? Does that mean I have to spend $$$$ just to use my car?

How often were you all having this issue? I've had one two black screens while driving, and two black screens while parked in 6 months of owning the car.

And worryingly enough on the last one, the reboot T screen had grey lines running down it (although no graphical artifacts after the reboot).

Is 4 instances enough to warrant a screen replacement?

Hello,

I only had the black screen when I opened the car.
They said it was replaced, it took a week, it has been OK ever since.

Gr

• Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller