Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 Model S (RAVEN) 100KW Charging Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just took delivery of my new Performance S /Ludicrous June 1 and charged at home the first time. My prior Tesla P100D charged at 72A 240 V and about 56 miles per hour. I have 100A service to the TESLA 2nd Gen home charger. Last night I charged the new car and it would only go to 48A and 36 miles per hour(See image). Seems very slow on the mile. Checked the setting in the car and would not go higher then the 48A. SO, I check our Model 3 LR RWD and it got the same 48A but the miles went to 45 miles per hour charge(see other image). Did Telsa change the chargers on the new S w/100KW pack? I would not think so.

Is anyone else seeing this on their new "Raven" S? Please let me know. Thanks
2019-06-07 22.50.22.png
2019-06-07 22.58.27.png

I think I should still get higher then 36 miles per hour. Our model 3 gets 45. If they are both charging at 48A, then they both should get the same miles. Looks like a problem to me.
Why would you think that? The Model S is a larger, heavier car. It’s not going to go as far on a kWh of energy, just as a full size ICE isn’t going to go as far on a gallon of gas as a compact ICE.

I think I should still get higher then 36 miles per hour. Our model 3 gets 45. If they are both charging at 48A, then they both should get the same miles. Looks like a problem to me.

Do you think a gallon of gas should “get the same miles” on a Prius and a full size truck? Because it doesn’t.

As for your new car, the 72 amp charger has been discontinued for many months. 48 amps for everyone now.

November 2018 was the cutoff for the 72amp charger. No 72amps cars have been built since then.

The miles/hr depends on the charging power and the vehicle efficiency. Model 3 LR is still the king with ~4.2 miles/kWh. Model S is less efficient (~3.4 miles/kWh for a Raven Performance), hence a different displayed miles/hr charging for the same power.

Here’s the Tesla stated charging speeds. Note that it hasn’t been updated for Raven so your 36 miles/hr at 48amps is “faster” than the stated 34 miles/hr for pre-Raven. Also interesting is that your 3LR RWD charging at 45 miles/hr is consistent with the fact that the 3LR RWD is slightly more efficient than all other Model 3 variants. We’d actually expect 46 miles/hr if your max rated range is 325 miles.

218AD4FA-9D9E-474F-B494-FA2668AB659A.jpeg

Wall Connector

Reactions: Saxgod and Big Earl
November 2018 was the cutoff for the 72amp charger. No 72amps cars have been built since then.

The miles/hr depends on the charging power and the vehicle efficiency. Model 3 LR is still the king with ~4.2 miles/kWh. Model S is less efficient (~3.4 miles/kWh for a Raven Performance), hence a different displayed miles/hr charging for the same power.

Whats the source on the cut off date? I think I read somewhere that there was a guy that had a 72 amp charger that was software locked with a build date of December 2018.

Interestingly enough. The difference between the 48 amp chargers and the 72 amp chargers was one additional module. The 48 amp charger had 2 modules and the 72 amp chargers had 3.

What I don't know if they are using the same chargers still with just the two modules or if a different has been designed. since 72 amps is no longer an option.