Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 Model X Standard Range - Worth it in 2022?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got a 2022 Model Y LR on order, but found a great deal on a 2019 Model X Standard Range with under 20k miles, so still has over a year of new vehicle warranty on it. Even though it's a few years older, it seems like the fit, finish, and utility of a used X exceeds a new Y. If this used X were a Long Range without a ridiculous increase in price, I would already own it.

My questions though are targeted at those that own a 2019 Standard Range or 75D Model X:

1. Are you finding this range limiting? Have you attempted any longer trips and had issues finding SuperChargers that could make it work?

2. For any of those that have already owned and sold a 75D or Standard Range X, how much do you believe it having the shorter range impacted resale value?

3. Any other advice for things to look for in evaluating this car? I'm reading the forums and seen some great tips, but curious about any specifics related to 2019 MX Standard.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
You might check if it had tow package, upgraded stereo, air suspension and the like for an apples to apples comparison (should be easy to find on the software/"about" vehicle screen) to the 100D's and Long Ranges. Just so you understand what you're really getting and not getting, because I believe sometime after the Raven cars (which I think a Standard Range has to be a Raven?) they made all the options but color seat config and wheels standard on the Long Range. So the upcharge, which I agree is ridiculous, might seem slightly less ridiculous with that in mind.

Based on my recent shopping I don't think shorter range will impact resale value in the near term any more than it already has; a 250-mile real world range is still pretty much industry standard. The almost-unicorns seem to be the 7-seaters. I never see one come up for sale lately.

• Informative
Reactions: Falcon73
You might check if it had tow package, upgraded stereo, air suspension and the like for an apples to apples comparison (should be easy to find on the software/"about" vehicle screen) to the 100D's and Long Ranges. Just so you understand what you're really getting and not getting, because I believe sometime after the Raven cars (which I think a Standard Range has to be a Raven?) they made all the options but color seat config and wheels standard on the Long Range. So the upcharge, which I agree is ridiculous, might seem slightly less ridiculous with that in mind.

Based on my recent shopping I don't think shorter range will impact resale value in the near term any more than it already has; a 250-mile real world range is still pretty much industry standard. The almost-unicorns seem to be the 7-seaters. I never see one come up for sale lately.
Our 7 seater has everything from PUP standard.

I have a standard range raven, and it meets 95% my needs. (100% with charging). There are no less than 3 super chargers between my house and where I want to be.

Of course I wish I had the bigger pack, but $10,000 is a lot of hours at work. vs. the occasional charge on a longer trip.

In 3 years of ownership. I've probably had to stop to charge less than 3 hours overall/year. and since I don't make $1k/hr, this was the way for me...

I will say the 60-90 MPH of the standard range feels slower than the 60-90 of the long range pack. If that's a concern to you. It's still quick! just not as quick as my old S85 was.

Mine may be for sale if/when I decided to get a cybertruck (have it on order).

I have a SR MX from 2019. Before that, I had a Model S 75D. The SR MX has the same range as the S 75D which is ~254 Miles. I love the SR that I have and the battery, new magnetic Raven motors and the upgraded Adaptive suspension make my ride way smoother than my Model S. I have never had range anxiety as my daily use is only to get to work and back. On long trips, I am stopping for superchargers just the same as before so not much difference for me.

If you are getting a good deal, you should go for it if the range meets your daily needs. Answering your questions below.

1. Are you finding this range limiting? Have you attempted any longer trips and had issues finding SuperChargers that could make it work?

JK: I haven't found the range limiting. A 90% charge will put you at 224 miles on the SR. I always plan my trips around the supercharger availability and have had no problems so far.

2. For any of those that have already owned and sold a 75D or Standard Range X, how much do you believe it having the shorter range impacted resale value?

JK: My previous Model S was a lease from Tesla so, when I returned it, it was for the previously agreed residual value. So, can't comment much on it. After returning it to Tesla, they sold it in less than two weeks. That's due to the demand.

3. Any other advice for things to look for in evaluating this car? I'm reading the forums and seen some great tips, but curious about any specifics related to 2019 MX Standard.

JK: Just make sure it is a Raven vehicle. The display in the instrument console should say Model X Standard Range while the vehicle is parked. The suspension graphics will be graphical for Raven vehicles. If you are able to take it for a drive, just observe the car when you accelerate from 30 to 60 MPH. See if you are feeling the shudder. If you do feel it, make sure that you set-up a service appointment to have the half-shafts in the front replaced before the warranty runs out.

This post is timely. I’m picking up a 2019 MX Raven Standard Range that I’m purchasing from my daughter (lease buyout option). In my case, I need the range to cover 75 mile round trips to visit the grandkids. Most trips outside the ~200 mile usable range would most likely be undertaken with my Diesel Silverado with 5th wheel in tow. I am confident this MX will serve all our needs and more. The lease buyout is very attractive (banks had no idea in 2019 what was coming regarding residual values) and increased prices on new models continue to elevate used prices. I’m not too concerned about resale value 2-3 years from now. I am concerned about maintenance/repair costs post warranty. So, in a year from now I’ll have a decision to make. I have a strong feeling that I’ll be purchasing a 3rd party extended warranty.

This post is timely. I’m picking up a 2019 MX Raven Standard Range that I’m purchasing from my daughter (lease buyout option). In my case, I need the range to cover 75 mile round trips to visit the grandkids. Most trips outside the ~200 mile usable range would most likely be undertaken with my Diesel Silverado with 5th wheel in tow. I am confident this MX will serve all our needs and more. The lease buyout is very attractive (banks had no idea in 2019 what was coming regarding residual values) and increased prices on new models continue to elevate used prices. I’m not too concerned about resale value 2-3 years from now. I am concerned about maintenance/repair costs post warranty. So, in a year from now I’ll have a decision to make. I have a strong feeling that I’ll be purchasing a 3rd party extended warranty.
Free supercharging? I’d keep it in her name unless you need the 179 deduction.

If you are able to take it for a drive, just observe the car when you accelerate from 30 to 60 MPH. See if you are feeling the shudder. If you do feel it, make sure that you set-up a service appointment to have the half-shafts in the front replaced before the warranty runs out.
We’re on our 6th set of half shafts here at 65K miles. All done under warranty and all seem to fail right around 10-12K after replacement..

I've got a Model X Raven SR. It's overall been a good car, despite having the most service visits of any car I've ever owned. LOL. I've also had the shudder issue fixed once. When they did that, service introduced a rubbing sound that now occurs whenever we turn the car. It wasn't there before, service insists it was. It wasn't. But, what are you going to do. The current MX would be a new MX if Elon would allow me to have a steering wheel and turn stalks.

• Informative
've also had the shudder issue fixed once. When they did that, service introduced a rubbing sound that now occurs whenever we turn the car.

The rubbing sound happened to me as well when they replaced the half shafts but over time it has gone away. I thought it was some sealant that they put which wore off / got absorbed eventually.

We’re on our 6th set of half shafts here at 65K miles. All done under warranty and all seem to fail right around 10-12K after replacement..

I had the half shafts replaced around the 8K mile mark and also installed the N2uitive shudder elimination with the links that lower the car. The shudder is gone. Heard from N2itive that they are coming up with a new set of arms and springs.

• Helpful
And here I thought I had a unicorn... I also have a 2019 SR. Glad to see others who have one as well! I know they were only made for a hot minute.

I love it. Have had it about 10 months now. In that time, I've never had range anxiety. I've been able to do a full day of running around town doing errands without issue. I'm not a road tripper, so can't comment on Super Chargers. Haven't needed one yet.

For resale... yes, it will be worth less than a Long Range. But being a Raven makes it much more appealing than the previous 75D. The Raven upgrades were significant.

• Informative
And here I thought I had a unicorn... I also have a 2019 SR. Glad to see others who have one as well! I know they were only made for a hot minute.

I love it. Have had it about 10 months now. In that time, I've never had range anxiety. I've been able to do a full day of running around town doing errands without issue. I'm not a road tripper, so can't comment on Super Chargers. Haven't needed one yet.

For resale... yes, it will be worth less than a Long Range. But being a Raven makes it much more appealing than the previous 75D. The Raven upgrades were significant.
It does fine on supercharging as long as you know it’s limitations. Below ~10% is current limited before ramping up and fastest part of the charge curve is 10-65% which usually takes 25 mins.

Funny enough I'm buying my in laws 2019 Raven after their lease ends as well. They have the long range variant though. I'm hoping to figure out a way to keep the car in their name (as far as Tesla knows) to keep the free supercharging... I'm looking into extended warranties for sure.

Gonna sell my MYP when they finally get their new MX.