Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 Stealth to 2021 LR?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’d love to get thoughts on here for a potential change I’m considering.

On the back of another thread on here I valued my 2019 M3P- (12,500 miles) on WBAC and it was coming out at pretty much parity (£700 diff) to some of the inventory LR ex-demo models.

Assuming that WBAC haven’t made a mistake as mine isn’t the fully fledged Performance model then is it not a no-brainier to swap?

I do love the acceleration but happy to swap that for a car with no chrome, electric tailgate, heat pump etc… and a car that’s 20 months newer.

My current car doesn’t seem to have ever had some of the build issues reported on here - importantly I have no obvious extra wind noise on motorway, (for e.g.) and so I wonder if I should count my blessings and keep it.

I’ve reserved the inventory car and booked in the WBAC appointment for tomorrow afternoon and so it’s more than a random thought right now 😀.

Back in March I did exactly what you are considering and swapped my P for an MIC LR. Best thing I ever did, but then I did want a tow bar, which is now removed from the options list.

The power-tailgate, the redesigned centre-console, the new headlights, the heated sterring wheel, the dechrome, I think are all big improvements. I also got the accel-boost shortly after delivery, and don't notice a big difference between the boosted LR and the M3P. I do notice the LR is better over crap road surfaces, the P has the edge on smooth tarmac. In short, go for it if its not a big cost.

The quote I got from WBAC was way lower than Tesla trade in, I assume you have asked Tesla for a trade in price?

Reactions: Jez_GB and Doudeau
Definitely seems to be a premium on used Model 3s at the moment - I just chucked my SR+ details into WBAC (2019 17k miles) and it came out at £34k - just £1.5k less than I bought it for last August (ex demo). WBAC is usually garbage - just shows how sought after the car is at the moment.

Performance - like insurance companies state too.

I’m ready for WBAC to either change their mind (as they’re not aware there are effectively different versions of a performance model) or maybe a naive assessor just looks for kerb rash and just knocks a few £‘s off.
My V5C says LR and I'd always got in mind that it was "Long Range - Performance" rather than a Performance.

Agree re insurance.

Can't help with pricing but, I do know it's best to be totally upfront when appraising your vehicle on the WBAC website. Be sure to note even the smallest chip, dent, scuff etc. The accessors tend to look more favourably on you as it makes their life easier & there's also less chance of the price being knocked down.

Wont the new car devalue more quickly than the 2 y.o. car ? That's the cost you are spending to get the new model.
Yup, that's the calculus that is often forgotten. Will your existing P do a comparable amount of depreciation as a brand new MIC LR over the next year or so? I'd suggest it probably won't. However, the upgrades are worth something.

Good point from two of you on depreciation going forwards.

I’m not a fan of the chrome myself (although I know some on here are) and, as it’s such a standout indicator of its age, I wonder if people will become a bit binary in their desire for the face-lifted car.

Reactions: Durzel
Yeah, the chrome does date the car quite conspicuously but I don't think it is necessarily "bad", although some colours wear it better than others.

You can always wrap the chrome if you are so inclined, for a hell of a lot less than swapping the car! Having had mine done I'm have moments where I think about going back now that all of the current cars are dechromed...

IMG_4251.jpeg

Reactions: Jez_GB
Somehow I can persuade my wife to switch cars but I couldn’t persuade her to de-chrome the existing car when we first bought it and I was buying nearly every add-on.

Your de-chrome looks very professional. I was contemplating DIY and it would have probably peeled by now 😀.

Yeah it’s not something I could do and to be honest would not try and do it on my own car. The wrap (and wraps in general) is not perfect, don’t get me wrong, but it’s effective enough for what it’s supposed to do.

There are a non trivial amount of incremental improvements to the current car, but you could buy it and find that in 6-12 months there’s another revision that improves or changes areas again. Keeping up with that is an expensive hobby, particularly as you’re swallowing the bulk of the depreciation.

Reactions: Drew57
I have a classic LR from 2019, with the now discontinued benefits such as unlimited connectivity, homelink, frunk mat, bag hooks, 16A UMC adapter, 5K SuperCharger miles, lumbar adjust for passenger. The chrome shows I'm proud early adopter.

Once there are new cars with 4650 structural batteries, v4 Autopilot computer etc. I'll switch. Not for some trim and a boot opener.

PS your wife is supportive as she feels you are getting a slower car.

Deed done.

Cost to change was £1,550 including plate transfer, Uber to Tesla, insurance for owning both cars for a few days, admin charges….

What I’m losing
0-60 in 3.2 secs
4 Kerbed alloys

What I’m gaining
Heat Pump
Extra Range
Powered trunk and frunk
Heated wheel
Dechromed - see above - big deal for me
Other 2021 MIC improvements
10,000 fewer miles
A car that’s 19 months newer

I didn’t manage to sell my old car before buying new but realised that £35 for the insurance premium (additional car on policy) increase seemed a small price to pay to be able to walk away if new car had issues.

Deprecation on my car had been ridiculously low - something we should all be pleased about.

I’ll wait to see if I NEED the acceleration boost to compensate but early impressions is that I don’t.

I done it between Xmas and NY and managed to get the 12 month supercharging, FSD 3-month trial and £3k from WBAC. Winner.

I’ve noticed there’s another Tesla Model 3 around the corner from me that was also an early adopter has done the same. Seems to be very common tactic with others on here doing it too - which made me look into it originally.

Enjoy

Reactions: Jez_GB