Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 to latest Model 3 - worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve been taking a keen interest in reviews as I have a LR on order for collection next month, hopefully.

Also on YT recently, Mat Watson of Carwow compared the same two cars. The Model 3 won quite easily vs the i4. Mat explains why the Tesla is the better buy at the end of the video.

I noticed other online reviews say the Tesla is a much sportier drive with sharper steering than the i4. The i4 was described by RSymonds as being like a luxury barge (BMW 5 series). Quiet and cushy, but a dull steer. Not exactly what you’d expect of BMW. The i4 platform is shared with combustion engine versions, so it’s heavy and a bit cramped in the front. Nearly 400kg heavier than the Model 3!

I’m not sure whether it’s significant, but Nicki Shields at Electrifying starred in BMW’s launch infomercial for the new i4 and iX.…

Last edited:
I’ve been taking a keen interest in reviews as I have a LR on order for collection next month, hopefully.

Also on YT recently, Mat Watson of Carwow compared the same two cars. The Model 3 won quite easily vs the i4. Mat explains why the Tesla is the better buy at the end of the video.

I noticed other online reviews say the Tesla is a much sportier drive with sharper steering than the i4. The i4 was described by RSymonds as being like a luxury barge (BMW 5 series). Quiet and cushy, but a dull steer. Not exactly what you’d expect of BMW. The i4 platform is shared with combustion engine versions, so it’s heavy and a bit cramped in the front. Nearly 400kg heavier than the Model 3!

I’m not sure whether it’s significant, but Nicki Shields at Electrifying starred in BMW’s launch infomercial for the new i4 and iX.…

I’ve not driven the i4 but also read similar reviews. In my experience the Model 3 is a cracking drive. I have the LR AWD. It’s planted, steady, grips the road, steers really well and is fantastic fun on some of the roads down here in the Wye Valley. Most fun I’ve had driving in decades, which isn’t why I bought the Model 3, but a very pleasant bonus.

Reactions: VX Foxy
That review was so superficial, sadly like most of Electrifying. So what's the BMW Navigation and charging integration like, what range does it really achieve, what charging speeds is it really capable of through the range ? Is there an app? Can you schedule charging ? They were wrong about towing, wrong about the charge speed, made noting of the difference in price between a LR and a BMW with same level of features.
They only choose their winners based on which thumbnails will get them the most views.
tbh, I drove both i4 versions and came to the conclusion that the i4 is a better cruiser, but the Model 3 is the better drivers car. There are too many compromises in the i4, it can't put it's power down nearly as well as the model 3, it's steering feels dead, and yes, the range is not great. RSymonds had one for a day, admittedly not a warm day and he was stopping and starting but he only got 178 miles at which point it shut down. Fully charged have just reported on the i4 too, and they loved it. I suppose it depends what you want a car to be.

Had a quote for a 2019 LR Blue w/ 11200 miles for £46,700

I may just bite the bullet and get the new 2022 LR Blue w/0 miles - the 4680 batteries would've been awesome, but it's just a matter of "how long will the second hand market be this cost effective?"

That's the tricky part with all of this - not knowing if the trade-in values will keep into March/April when the next wave of car shipments get UK-side.

Anyone bit the bullet similarly?

I may just bite the bullet and get the new 2022 LR Blue w/0 miles - the 4680 batteries would've been awesome, but it's just a matter of "how long will the second hand market be this cost effective?"

That's the tricky part with all of this - not knowing if the trade-in values will keep into March/April when the next wave of car shipments get UK-side.

I have done exactly that but my outgoing is a 2019 M3P MSM w/12,500 on the clock - my trade in estimate is the same as yours.

Like yourself, I'm going to a 2022 LR Blue (fingers crossed due in mid-March, although i'm still awaiting those details).

The equity I have in my car - coupled with the fact that I now have the 3sec 0-60 badges from the P so not too fussed anymore - have made the decision for me. The extra benefit is the MUCH LOWER monthly payments 😄

That's a great trade in price - is that with Tesla?

I'm trading a 2019 LY with 22000 miles, offer is £45,800. Now ordered a new one and still waiting for the trade in to be agreed having uploaded my pictures. Anyone know how long it takes? Been a week so far.

Interesting, thanks.

I'm very interested in the wind noise reduction, I do find the Model 3 quite a noisy ride on the motorway, my diesel Audi A4 Avant was actually quieter despite the ICE grumbling away. Didn't realise the headlights were improved - are they better in terms of lighting the road?
I did a (not very scientific) db reading on a hired VW Passat diesel prior to getting the 3, then the same on my 3 before and after fitting the door noise reduction seals (All at 70MPH on the same stretch of the M1 near me). The Passat was no noisier than the 3 in anyway (quieter over the expansion strips @ bridges), the 3 was noticably noisier when passing or being passed by noisier vehicles plus the expansion strips. Fitting the noise reduction seals made no difference to the driving noises (wind, tyre etc) but it did reduce the noise from other vehicles considerably. I don’t thing the OE tyres help with noise at all and would think you could reduce their sound quite a lot by getting another make fitted. I’m not saying the 3 is noisy at all (it could do with better door seals as standard to cut other traffic noise down though). Under acceleration of course it‘s a different ball game altogether and it is a much quieter, quicker, grin inducing experience🤣. Mine is a 2021 China produced 3LR, also have no way of saying if it is quieter than an earlier build as it’s my first dip into Tesla.

Did you hear back about your trade in quote? I redid mine with Tesla today and it went up by £900, but still nowhere near the trade in price you were getting. I assume you just went to Menu\Trade-in on the web site?

Hope you have got yours all agreed now.

Did you hear back about your trade in quote? I redid mine with Tesla today and it went up by £900, but still nowhere near the trade in price you were getting. I assume you just went to Menu\Trade-in on the web site?

Hope you have got yours all agreed now.
Nope, no further response from Tesla yet. I have called them and they just told me it won't necessarily be finalised until a car is allocated.

• Informative
Reactions: GT_M3